Make good multi skim any one managed to get any sort of consistent finish

Members online

I Ain’t used it yet but my mate told it was like spreading glue n that was on plasterboard but he did remark it was hard to get it to a good finished standard

Listen sort your s**t out its better than having none
20200609_154132.jpg

I been using multi finish I think British gypsum make it? Same as always all through lockdown and before and after Only the strong survives (y)

Hi there, new poster, ex-plasterer, moved into fire stuff, cos, well, dermatitis, knackered knees, all that jazz!

Anyway, here's my experience with *cough* "Make Good" multi-skim... First off, yes, I think it's shite, might as well get that out of the way... Read the instructions on the bag, seemed simple enough, 1 coat, 2 coat, trowel, once it changes colour, final trowel, though I did note the "DO NOT APPLY FINAL TROWEL UNTIL IT CHANGES COLOUR" warning...

And yeah, well, I've been doing work on a new house, was in the box room, reskim, I had enough thistle pink gear left over from previous work, which I chucked on the ceiling, absolutely grand, trowelled in as expected, consistent throughout, never batted an eyelid, came out lovely... Then, I had to break into *cough* "Make Good"... Downhill from there...

Stuff is gluey and tacky, whatever you do, do not put on walls that are still have wet patches of PVA, no matter how much in a rush you are. Secondly, the setting time was immense for me, I put one wall on, 3.5hours later it was starting to change colour, attempted a bit of a trowel because there was still trowel marks because it seemed, even with a trowel lubed with a bit water, it sorta reactivates itself... So left it to fully change colour as in the instructions... And yeah, the t**t goes solid, I literally had to grind the arse off it to get it flat, well, thinking it was flat... After I did it, I thought "You know, it shouldnt be that hard, but that looks okay"... So, I carried on with the other existing walls (2 more), but decided to just tape the last wall that I had dabbed out... Usually with thistle gear on a room, I chuck adjacent sides on in one mix... I darent here, and yes, because I put each wall on one at a time, 12 hours in total it took with *cough* "make good", I would of been finished in 4-5 with thistle... Major difference there.

Hours later, All finished, all grinded down, I looked and thought "I may of got away with that", as, it didnt look too bad, dries to a matt finish... So, knackered, showered and then bed.

Next day, I had a look in, and just wondered to myself, "I wonder what it looks like under a torch"... I wished I didnt look, honest to god, it was rough mind, sun hitting that on a nice afternoon would of made a mudhut look the bee's knees, it was awful (Ceiling was still lovely mind)... I was gutted because I couldnt leave it, so, got a bucket of tapers cream and creamed and sanded the bloody lot... Retorched... Spot on!

I literally dont know what I could of done differently to get a decent finish on it, to my thistle standard anyway, it had me lost, and grafting like a good'un when it changed colour.

I'm just pleased I never did this in someones house, cos it'll made you look a right tit, in all honestly, I wouldnt be able to charge someone if under a torch it was leaving it that bad.

I was in B&Q the other day and noticed they had to pallets full sitting there, not surprising, I was speaking to one of their staff about it, and he said there was loads of complaints about it, and I was like "I'm not surprised, look at my hand" showing him my blisters, and then explaining even after that, I had to recoat it with other stuff.

Anyway, there's my experience with it, utter rubbish, never again... EVER!!! :D

/blog

A customer rang me today and said I'm in b&q shall I get some of this make good plaster for you in the hope I'll do her job first somehow, even though I've booked you in on that date because I have other jobs before yours told her no way I said I struggle to finish my dinner let alone trying to finish that rubbish

Yeh I’ve had similar next day just not a smooth finish never mind polish
I Used it again but on troweling up 2nd I flattened any lines went to go over again absolutely no point not achieving only way I got a smooth/polish I scrape most of the 2nd coat (the filler) with a flex trowel my arm was fked after, shoulder was hanging off
But that’s the only way getting a smooth finish unless u use a sander

Hello read the post by Dabzy78 my experience was identical ended up fine filling and sanding an entire room never use that shite again only bought because of multi finish shortages been Plastering 46 years avoid like the plague

I used it today for the first time on board work,even put two coats of pva on the boards the day before,I've been plastering for 33 years and I tried every trick and trowel to get a proper finish.its either too wet or it just goes off in various areas so theres no consistency.I had 20 bags delivered and still have 17 left,might give the stuff away or was thinking it may be ok for a first coat when skimming over artex.NEVER again.

I tried this stuff today, seems really reliant on timings been spot on, not as forgiving as BG. It’s really thin to spread then goes through a glue like stage if you touch it during this stage it makes a real mess, second coat needs to go on as first coat has picked up quite a bit which seemed to take an hour !! In areas where it’s a bit thicker and hasn’t picked up as much the top coat drags the bottom coat and forms a chewing gum like mess. It’s hard to get the trowel lines out because it’s so thin and wet then boom some bits go off like concrete and some is a sticky gluey mess, add water and you can partially trowel the hard bits if you have arms like Popeye but then water on the not yet dry bits creates a sloppy mess. All in all I found it hard work and took 9 bags back

I tried this stuff today, seems really reliant on timings been spot on, not as forgiving as BG. It’s really thin to spread then goes through a glue like stage if you touch it during this stage it makes a real mess, second coat needs to go on as first coat has picked up quite a bit which seemed to take an hour !! In areas where it’s a bit thicker and hasn’t picked up as much the top coat drags the bottom coat and forms a chewing gum like mess. It’s hard to get the trowel lines out because it’s so thin and wet then boom some bits go off like concrete and some is a sticky gluey mess, add water and you can partially trowel the hard bits if you have arms like Popeye but then water on the not yet dry bits creates a sloppy mess. All in all I found it hard work and took 9 bags back
I'd rather my wife pull my pants down and shove a 14 inch monster black cock up my arsenal than play around with that stuff,no thank you sir

Oh god. I'm trying tomorrow. I'm applying mesh to wall so I could be xxxx. I've got 2 bags of multi which is only enough for half the job so got make good. Oh well.

I'd rather my wife pull my pants down and shove a 14 inch monster black cock up my arsenal than play around with that stuff,no thank you sir
You gotta ask yourself the question What's your sweetheart doing with a 14" black tallywackerin the first place

Oh god. I'm trying tomorrow. I'm applying mesh to wall so I could be xxxx. I've got 2 bags of multi which is only enough for half the job so got make good. Oh well.
A speedskim made the first flatten a little less troublesome but I think I needed let the first coat pull in a lot more before the second coat think most of the problems were due to first coat moving around when second was applied.

tried the make good again thurs and today,got half a decent finish but the random drying in patches is still a pain,the only good thing is once its dry it rubs down like easy fill.i found if you can get the second coat on as near to perfect with a plasiflex then leave it alone for a bit then plenty of water with a steel trowel.:tonto:

tried the make good again thurs and today,got half a decent finish but the random drying in patches is still a pain,the only good thing is once its dry it rubs down like easy fill.i found if you can get the second coat on as near to perfect with a plasiflex then leave it alone for a bit then plenty of water with a steel trowel.:tonto:
#ratherhaveabigblackcockshovedupmyarse