maite

Status
Not open for further replies.

spunky

Private Member
How do you finish you're basecoat?
Were 2 coating approx 3mm per coat different days then sponging and troweling off but its coming out turd, we tried both coats same day and it just moved around and doing it next day as soon as it skins over you can't get the spat lines out with the sponge then it can drag and go horrible any tips?

run the spat lines out with a trowel / tapping knife , they will be soft the next day.
IMP no need to sponge a base coat , aslo we were told never to sponge basecoat as it only weakens the finish and will void warranty if top coat fails.

when i compare areas i sponged to just finished with a spat i could see the and feel the difference

Lay on tidy , spat it up tidy, next day remove any lines with a light scrape

put your first coat on to a couple of mil, bead your mesh it, once firmed up a bit, run a notched trowel over it.leave.
next day mix a pissy mix up apply your depth of notch, youll get it somewhere near as the notches are your guide, once firmed up run a sponge float over.finishes a treat.done.

lightly run the lines out with a trowel/ taping knife

IMP its best not to use a sponge , we were told it weakens the basecoat and if top coat fails it will be clear water was used on the basecoat and void the warranty?

anyhow

lay on tidy , spat tidy, and run lines of the next day with a tape knife or trowel , finish will be good and strong never had a problem this way.

Thanks rich do you use a certain size or anything to get it under the surface ? Proskim can you still get away with flattening the lines next day in summer if you're 2 coating?

I let the first coat with the mesh firm up but its still damp coupla hours maybe (same day) then lay a wetter pass over that holds back nice so you can finish without it dragging

I've seen a few lads apply maitie differently, but they still get the same desired effect.
as long as long as your not lashing on water it isn't going to make a difference to the the strength .i guess it depends what time of year your putting it on as regards temps and drying times. It's just a thin notched trowel we use, a bit difficult to describe with out showing, the way we do it,you don't need to take out lines as that's your depth to fill to in your 2nd mix, again a bit difficult to explain to someone with out showing them

You've got to use water with maite, it's too sticky. Hose the f**k*r down on mist setting and cross trowel with fine sponge. Last thing or early next day use a scratch pad on it skating over it skimming off highs, tight spat to tidy. Ready for wet second coat and lube/trowel as its drying not after. People should be saying to you...'that's a nice finish isn't it butt' lol

No the customer was chatting to me as the sun was coming out and I didn't know where to look lol

You've got to use water with maite, it's too sticky. Hose the f**k*r down on mist setting and cross trowel with fine sponge. Last thing or early next day use a scratch pad on it skating over it skimming off highs, tight spat to tidy. Ready for wet second coat and lube/trowel as its drying not after. People should be saying to you...'that's a nice finish isn't it butt' lol

we dont use much water,
i just mix a pissy mix for second, trowel as it firms up.

You don't find it tears rich I don't know if im getting on it too early and I reckon im laying on too thick, do you get it tight and flat and rub them back with you're middle of the trowel or trowel it like you're skimming?

You don't find it tears rich I don't know if im getting on it too early and I reckon im laying on too thick, do you get it tight and flat and rub them back with you're middle of the trowel or trowel it like you're skimming?

sounds like your putting too much on.
if you get a decent bed on with your mesh, then lay a thin coat on that, it should prove easier to work with. just give it a very lightly wet trowel when it pulls. daytime temp plays a big part in it to.

Were going over the mesh coat on a different day, should i be grinding it on just to cover the mesh and hard trowel the lines out or get on it early with loads of water? I can't get me head around how you can trowel it unless its tight and you force it back I've found anything with a bit of thickness like spat marks tear unless its gone or you get it early with the sponge

Status
Not open for further replies.