Mains problem on the Ritmo

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigsby

TPF Special Forces
Had a job to do today and as soon as I turned the red switch on the house mains tripped. This was on a 32 amp cooker circuit and then a 16 amp circuit. After a phone call to Stu at UK Machines he suggested disconnecting the water pump but still it tripped.

So looking like a sensitive rcd breaker we tried plugging it into next doors and it went fine. So it looks like we need a generator but the local hire shops didn't have any available but a phone call to Les at PFT Northern and he has 1 available. Saved by PFT Northern again!

on our way home we went to tomorrow's job to try it and it was fine?

so has anyone else suffered from sensitive rcd's? From now on we are going to take the machine before the day we need it and test the fuse box, this has cost me a days wages.

Last edited:
Our 110v trips sometimes when we plug the transformer. Flip it back up and it's fine for the rest of the day.

We have hardly ever used the Genny. so much so it doesn't even ride in the van anymore

Ey up rigsby...transformers usually trip when first plugged in leave plugged in then turn RCD's back on and should work fine.
We have problems with our 240 Ritmo when we plug in on down stairs circuits so we usually plug into an upstairs circuit. I am told it's down to earth leakage...hmmm I can't explain that but most appliances do it hence plug in upstairs far less appliance on the circuit.

No upstairs circuit on this house as it is a bungalow. 240v model as well.

my transformers usually trip but the 5kva tranny is usually ok.

I love my genny , sorry guys i have said it in the past ,having your own power supply is nice ,if you are more day in day out at mono anyway

Had a job to do today and as soon as I turned the red switch on the house mains tripped. This was on a 32 amp cooker circuit and then a 16 amp circuit. After a phone call to Stu at UK Machines he suggested disconnecting the water pump but still it tripped.

So looking like a sensitive rcd breaker we tried plugging it into next doors and it went fine. So it looks like we need a generator but the local hire shops didn't have any available but a phone call to Les at PFT Northern and he has 1 available. Saved by PFT Northern again!

on our way home we went to tomorrow's job to try it and it was fine?

so has anyone else suffered from sensitive rcd's? From now on we are going to take the machine before the day we need it and test the fuse box, this has cost me a days wages.

leakage to earth. if you had disconnected the earth cable on your machine you could have used your machine with out it firing the trip switch in the bungalow. refit the earth cable at the end of the work.

leakage to earth. if you had disconnected the earth cable on your machine you could have used your machine with out it firing the trip switch in the bungalow. refit the earth cable at the end of the work.

Where would I find this earth cable?

I love my genny , sorry guys i have said it in the past ,having your own power supply is nice ,if you are more day in day out at mono anyway
Your right Keith, but theres nowt better than using the clients juice rather than your own,

If you have earth leakage, and you then disconnect the earth wire, that leakage is then somewhere live on the machine, disconnecting the earth is setting yourself up for a bad day surely?

If you have earth leakage, and you then disconnect the earth wire, that leakage is then somewhere live on the machine, disconnecting the earth is setting yourself up for a bad day surely?

dampness on the wiring can cause earth leakage, it trips the supply from the property. some consumer units are very fickle.

We've had this a few times and if it happens we just plug two transformers into different circuits, problem solved. We've never even put petrol into our generator, just sits in the unit gathering dust.

I spoke to an electrician today and he confirmed as said taking the earth wire out of the plug will be a quick fix. Sounds rare dodgy to me though!

I spoke to an electrician today and he confirmed as said taking the earth wire out of the plug will be a quick fix. Sounds rare dodgy to me though!

the consumer unit in the property that you are working on is to fickle, when your ritmo is switched on, and requires power it sends a jerk to the consumer unit which cause it to trip out. this is called leakage to earth, by disconnecting the earth cable this will not happen. it is a quick fix, this method will just get you out of a jam and you would not have lost a days employment. reconnect the earth cable at the end of this contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.