Magic Mix

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryston

A couple of years back I had a couple of artex ceilings to do.

I was told about the art of the magic mix by i think was @zombie

Since then I haven't had any artex to skim over, which has been wonderful!

That brings me to Monday next week, I have 3 to do, 2 heavy stipple 1 bigish one 10m long 3.5m/4m wide

No with my head being like a sieve, from the multiple amounts of black ash, skim, cement,lime, solvent abuse, fried breakfasts, sbr,pva etc that I have been inhaling I may of kinda forgot the art of it, I only done 2 small ceilings with it before I know they came out lovley but I cant remember the ratios of what I done.

Obviously with one of the ceilings I'm doing being pretty big I dont want to f it up, can someone enlighten me on what I need to mix?

Bag of bonding, 3rd of skim? Something like that then second coat with skim as far as I can remember??

A couple of years back I had a couple of artex ceilings to do.

I was told about the art of the magic mix by i think was @zombie

Since then I haven't had any artex to skim over, which has been wonderful!

That brings me to Monday next week, I have 3 to do, 2 heavy stipple 1 bigish one 10m long 3.5m/4m wide

No with my head being like a sieve, from the multiple amounts of black ash, skim, cement,lime, solvent abuse, fried breakfasts, sbr,pva etc that I have been inhaling I may of kinda forgot the art of it, I only done 2 small ceilings with it before I know they came out lovley but I cant remember the ratios of what I done.

Obviously with one of the ceilings I'm doing being pretty big I dont want to f it up, can someone enlighten me on what I need to mix?

Bag of bonding, 3rd of skim? Something like that then second coat with skim as far as I can remember??
Your wanting the mix around 70% multi 30% bonding. Get it on and flatten and wait for it to start to take up. You need to get on just as its starting to firm up as it flash sets if left to long and second coat of multi a nightmare to get flat.

We try and convince them to have it re boarded..we practicly board it for nowt as it takes a hour to board a standard size bedroom/room..if there's coving that's wen its a problem like..skimmed over plenty of artex but last couple of years majority can be persuaded to re board wen you throw the line to them that u cnt guarantee finish etc

We try and convince them to have it re boarded..we practicly board it for nowt as it takes a hour to board a standard size bedroom/room..if there's coving that's wen its a problem like..skimmed over plenty of artex but last couple of years majority can be persuaded to re board wen you throw the line to them that u cnt guarantee finish etc
Agree with that...

Cover the cost o the boards and and a tiny bit of labour and everyone is happy... almost a no brainer... but some clients....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I always board over but as danny says some customers are hard work.

I stuck a bigger price In to avoid doing the job and guess what, I got it.

So I dont mind skimming over it now because the price is right, as said Ill still rather overboard it but they don't want to lose there original coving, its pretty slim on the.edges that even with 9.5 board youl lose the first few inches

Don't want to be all PC but do people think of asbestos when they come across artex?
I know it minimal and not the most harmful of it but we are still scraping the s**t and no one actually knows if it's bad enough,
What's worth more health or clients wallets as at the end of the day it saves them not having it boarded or removed properly.
I'm guilty of still doing it now and then and don't know why!
Always overboard at least for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just like to finish over customers face
tumblr_nhp0lxnkki1slop3xo1_1280.jpg

Don't want to be all PC but do people think of asbestos when they come across artex?
I know it minimal and not the most harmful of it but we are still scraping the s**t and no one actually knows if it's bad enough,
What's worth more health or clients wallets as at the end of the day it saves them not having it boarded or removed properly.
I'm guilty of still doing it now and then and don't know why!
Always overboard at least for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive done a asbestos awareness course..for asbestos to be harmfull to you u literally need to be wrking with it everyday of ur life and breathing it in for decades to have a effect it dsnt make any difference if u scrape a few ceilings down etc..so I was told anyhow..im more worried about effects insulation rock wool has as I've breathed tons of that in and done alot of it

If they have coving in offer over boarding use board edging beads.... They are about 5 quid a bead but work out a lot cheaper than new coving

@ royston your looking at about 2 to 3 big bucket scoops tova bag of finish pal...the heavier the stipple the more the bonding....

But its best to flatten your first coat down nice and early ideal if you have a speedskim etc

Ive done a asbestos awareness course..for asbestos to be harmfull to you u literally need to be wrking with it everyday of ur life and breathing it in for decades to have a effect it dsnt make any difference if u scrape a few ceilings down etc..so I was told anyhow..im more worried about effects insulation rock wool has as I've breathed tons of that in and done alot of it[/QUO

That is absolute rubbish, many wives and partners have died with asbestos and they didn't work with it, they breathed in the fibres from the spouses work clothes.

???

???grind it back with your floor scapper uni bond it
50/50 finish bonding heavy mix .. make sure you flatten in TWICE covers everything then 1 coat of skim to finish .....why would re board it ??

Youd have it ready for final coat of skim before finding timbers to screw to.

And if wil turn out a lot flatter than working to old timbers.

Ive done a asbestos awareness course..for asbestos to be harmfull to you u literally need to be wrking with it everyday of ur life and breathing it in for decades to have a effect it dsnt make any difference if u scrape a few ceilings down etc..so I was told anyhow..im more worried about effects insulation rock wool has as I've breathed tons of that in and done alot of it

Artex and health risksEdit

Until the mid-1980s,[2] the Artex coating was made with white asbestos to strengthen it. Therefore old Artex manufactured by Artex Ltd. will contain asbestos while Artex coatings applied after 2000 may or may not contain asbestos. It is also worth noting that the texture is only harmful when in a powder form, i.e., being sanded, and poses little risk while it is undisturbed on ceilings or walls and covered with emulsion paint.

Removing even more modern non-asbestos coatings can expose the operator to hazardous dust particles. Older coatings, containing asbestos, pose a particularly serious hazard. Inhaling microscopic asbestos fibers can cause asbestosis, a fibrosing lung disease; pleuralmesothelioma; a cancer of the lining (pleura) of the lung; and peritoneal mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining (peritoneum) of the abdomen. Those removing the coating or working with a surface covered with it should wear effective dust-proof protective clothing and masks and the area being worked on should be sealed off. Professional advice is advisable. Removal of asbestos-containing Artex is covered by the UK's Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, although in many cases this work falls within exemptions to the licensing requirements and so does not usually require use of a licensed contractor.[3] In cases where the risk is higher, the regulations make it unlawful for a contractor not licensed by the country's Health and Safety Executive to undertake the work.[4] In the UK, once removed, Artex and any other substance containing asbestos must be disposed of as hazardous waste. If the coating is left alone and coated with paint and undamaged, it may be safe to leave the coating in place and managed in situ by annual inspection.[5] Plastering over the coating may ensure it is safely encapsulated[6]

Artex and health risksEdit
Until the mid-1980s,[2] the Artex coating was made with white asbestos to strengthen it. Therefore old Artex manufactured by Artex Ltd. will contain asbestos while Artex coatings applied after 2000 may or may not contain asbestos. It is also worth noting that the texture is only harmful when in a powder form, i.e., being sanded, and poses little risk while it is undisturbed on ceilings or walls and covered with emulsion paint.

Removing even more modern non-asbestos coatings can expose the operator to hazardous dust particles. Older coatings, containing asbestos, pose a particularly serious hazard. Inhaling microscopic asbestos fibers can cause asbestosis, a fibrosing lung disease; pleuralmesothelioma; a cancer of the lining (pleura) of the lung; and peritoneal mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining (peritoneum) of the abdomen. Those removing the coating or working with a surface covered with it should wear effective dust-proof protective clothing and masks and the area being worked on should be sealed off. Professional advice is advisable. Removal of asbestos-containing Artex is covered by the UK's Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, although in many cases this work falls within exemptions to the licensing requirements and so does not usually require use of a licensed contractor.[3] In cases where the risk is higher, the regulations make it unlawful for a contractor not licensed by the country's Health and Safety Executive to undertake the work.[4] In the UK, once removed, Artex and any other substance containing asbestos must be disposed of as hazardous waste. If the coating is left alone and coated with paint and undamaged, it may be safe to leave the coating in place and managed in situ by annual inspection.[5] Plastering over the coating may ensure it is safely encapsulated[6]

Im off too much

Clue is in the answear u dimbat.."breathed in everyday" not breathed in a few days a year from scraping a artex ceiling down..

You don't need have breath it in everyday, even small amount can kill......when you've finished with your personal childless comments I might take you a bit more seriously.

I know someone who does asbestos removal. He said the type and amount in artex is pretty much harmless unless you were scraping and inhaling everyday for years.

I've done an asbestos awareness course or 3 and the stats as absolutely shocking. It only takes one fibre to get hooked in your lungs. I like many other lads have and still scrape down ceilings and walls without any ppe. Stupid c##ts the lot of us. Thinks it's a plasrerers mentally tbh we think we're invicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.