made a pigs bumhole of it!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markh

As the title suggests, the recent job of replacing the roughcast on an outside wall didnt work out, quite the way i intended, and i dragged it all off the wall; all of it.
The old stuff was over 50 years old, and much of the wall was blown, and started falling off after being about 2" away from the wall; i removed it right back to the bricks, as they were the last thing that was still solid, the scratchcoat was just powdery.
I made up a 4:1 with soft sand, and used PVA/water mix, after painting a mix of PVA onto the wall. and all seemed to be fine, for a first ever attempt at plastering, it was looking fine. I waited a few days and then got a decent weather window to apply the top coat. I mixed the top coat as 5:1 and mixed it with SBR/water mix; it went on the wall okay, but the dry dash merely bounced off it, not even the powdery stuff stayed on. So i flattened and floated the wall and thought i'd wet dash it. I just made a mess with that and scraped it off.
Have i done anything wrong?
I have now decided to scratch coat it and then apply mortar with a Tyrolean gun; i bought one, as it was cheaper to buy one, and spend some time experimenting with it than to hire it.
I know i will use PVA/water mix in a 4:1 mix to scratch coat it. In other words NO waterproofer!

What have i done wrong, besides doing the job, or thinking i could do the job, or anything like that?

What mix ratio do i use in the tyrolean gun? someone suggested a normal mortar mix, others have said use emulsion with sand in, and others still, have suggested a slurry coat. I have asked this a number of times on other forums, but not had any answers i can use; is it a goverment secret of something; no-one seems to want to tell anyone anything about it?
Can I apply the mortar in the gun straight onto the scratch coat, or will i need a top coat under it?

You're doing it wrong from the get go fella, NO PVA needed.

Hope it's your own property and you're not charging some poor b***ard.

Its fine saying that i've done it wrong, but i need to know WHAT is wrong.

Someone will probably be along shortly to give you a step by step guide. I'm not in the business of teaching people my trade via forums.

Good luck.

Sorry mark its like when my mechanic explains shiit to me ......I aint got a clue what he means (or the missus)

Get someone to do it who knows buddy.
Or like the rest of the planet "youtube" it.

Good luck.

I did you tube it. thats how i got into this s**t-mess. BTW its my place; i wouldnt do a job for anyone if i couldnt do it for myself!

I can get it up on the wall; but its keeping it up that the bother, i've had folk say to mix emulsion in with the cement ????? even i know you dont do that. I think i went wrong with the chems. I dragged it ALL back off, and it came off, quite easily, that why i know there was something wrong.

Mix cement /pva / cement.
Like slurry ....dash it on let it set few days.
Sand and cement on top of that to exsiting render.
leave a day
Coat mesh all over it.
Top it.

Are you just trying to build it on to heavy to quick ??
No, i put on the scratch coat and it was fine, didnt lose much muck, considering it was my first time at plastering.

I waited a few days (weather was crap) and mixed up the top coat as a 5:1, and it went on but dried too quick. My guess being because of the chems.
All i want to do is fix the wall, and everyone starts somewhere yeah? i just wish folk would give me the right advice; i'm not wanting trade secrets or gossip or government secrets, just some pointers that i can read up on and then easily go ahead and do. What happened to the days when you mixed up much abd use a squirt of fairy liquid, all these che's!

regards, Mark.

Mix cement /pva / cement.
Like slurry ....dash it on let it set few days.
Sand and cement on top of that to exsiting render.
leave a day
Coat mesh all over it.
Top it.
I have removed all the old roughcast; it was falling off anyway, so its all in the trailer to go to the tip. So should i slurry coat the bare bricks? instead of painting with PVA?

You tube won't help you.
Do you really think you can use a video to teach yourself a skilled job?
People don't go to college for years and gain experience onsite if it was as easy as watching a video.
What do you do for work?
Anything that takes half a Brain to learn can't be learnt from watching a video.
If that was the case we could all do anything couldn't we?

To start with your mixes are wrong.

Either get someone who knows what there doing or follow this guide.

Hack the lot off back to brick.
It's prob soft enough to come off with a floor scraper.

Make sure you take off everything.
Give the wall a good soak with water to remove as much dust as possible. Do this the day before.

Before you start give the wall dampen.
Mix up a 5:1 Holme sand (might be called something else in your area)/cement
You NEED either some Feb mix/plasticiser and waterproofer. Make sure you stick to the ratios!
Don't mix by hand as it will be crap. Use a mixer.
Approx 10-12mm thick.

Now using a 4:1 water and sbr liquid coat the wall but only in sections that you can render before the sbr dries.
If it dries before you get the render on coat again and do it
While tacky.

Once all done scratch and leave for a few days.

Top coat.
Mix up 6:1:1 Holme sand cement and lime (hydrated) you could add a little waterproofer but it's not essential.

Wet the wall down with water and while damp apply approx 6-10mm then float to finish.

Use some chamfered skirting as a straight edge and rule flat.
Leave it open to set or if you want more time close in with your trowel.

Try to float it before it goes to hard.
If you can't push your finger in its set to much.
Don't use water until you need to, Rub with sponge to finish.

This isn't re be all and end all, lots of people do it different ways but that shouldn't go wrong if you follow it.

Have you got any pictures just to amuse some of us?

Just read your other thread, I'm South Lanarkshire, too. Not being an arse but by the time you've bought materials, had to scrape off and then re-buy, buy a tyrolean gun (not sure why) not to mention your own time at it and the large probability that it will look absolute dog turd when it's finished. You really would be better off getting someone who knows how.

No offence mate but you can't expect to come onto a forum full of professionals (or a least people who do it day in day out) telling us how youve f**k*d a job up and not expect a bit of piss taking. If someone rang me and told me they'd tried it and it went wrong id take the piss too. You will/have got good advice but you must accept the people who contribute to this place have grown up the hard way as apprentices being the butt of all the jokes so its natural

Pva isn't used externally as it re-emulsifies when in contact with water,use sbr and cement to make a slurry as per instructions on the tub. First coat add some waterproofer to control suction of the second coat which you will do five days after the first.

Its fine saying that i've done it wrong, but i need to know WHAT is wrong.
Your not a plasterer.Thats what's wrong.Takes years and you never stop learning.If you haven't the money wait until you have and then get an experienced local plasterer to do it and pay him properly.Theres no point getting detailed instructions when you haven't the hands to follow them out.

Eh? Jgreenplasterers gave you the answer and this is how you repay him?

The other way is the modern pre bagged renders. Find yourself a Weber stockist usually found at insulation suppliers like minster.

Clean off your walls and apply a few mm of Weber rendaid at 3m2 a bag , key and let dry.

Render with their Weber ocr whichever way suits you.

The above has been tried and tested by most of us.

FYA.
I will not sit here and have the piss taken. i came on here looking for help, tips suggestions, not have people make a c**t of me. so get it up you all!

Plasterers can understand what every one else is talkin about, as a customer you are half clueless. Take the advice , how do u think plasterers make a living ? Not saying people can try but they have experience and know the products etc .....

Status
Not open for further replies.