machine plastering

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayti

Do you think machine plastering should be mandatory on nvq it is an option on the credit list but most colleges and training centers never demonstrate to the students and give very little information on products .As we develop new techniques and products into the industry in the modern plastering world we should also give the new students the opportunity to experience this instead of throwing people in the deep end and then wonder why the work is not up to standard .when i worked in Germany good few yrs ago all the youngsters new the machines inside out and the materials . whats your views.

It would be very unfair to make it mandatory for the NVQ as the vast majority of spreads don't have access to a machine. And lets be honest most spreads go through their whole career without needing one.

Do you think machine plastering should be mandatory on nvq it is an option on the credit list but most colleges and training centers never demonstrate to the students and give very little information on products .As we develop new techniques and products into the industry in the modern plastering world we should also give the new students the opportunity to experience this instead of throwing people in the deep end and then wonder why the work is not up to standard .when i worked in Germany good few yrs ago all the youngsters new the machines inside out and the materials . whats your views.

i think its a good idea, my question would be, how would students gain the unit if they didnt work with machines?

well few yrs ago everything was mix in mixers and now most products come in bags to be mixed with whisks so in time things may change ?

I have never used or seen one used in my 27 yrs in London, we are mostly on refurbs, can't see myself getting one now, but think the are a great tool for this game from what I have read and seen online, wondered though, about storing them and the worry of thieves as the are expensive kit,

seems like more people are using machines was just wondering what people thought

It may seem like there are lots of people using/owning machines nowadays and although there are doubtless more now than ever before I bet the ratio is at least 200:1 in favour of spreads who have never even touched a machine over those owning/using them.

wether your using a machine or not it doesnt really have a bearing on the standard of work, thats down to the trowel in hand which is whats taught but maybe a day out to one of the machine sellers to see what its about wouldnt be a bad idea but a qualification waste of time, the lads who sell them will give you the training and backup.

Last edited:
For me its a good idea :RpS_thumbsup:
As flynnyman said, you still need the skills as a plasterer, buying a machine does not turn an unskilled man into a skilled man. Machines are not a short cut to years of training and learning on the job.
Demonstrations is something that we do in some colleges, this is to show the benefits of machine applying. The problem is that once trained its good to be using the machine on a regular basis and if a student has one day at college on machines and doesn't touch one again for a couple of years, then any knowledge will be lost. As stated before machine manufacturers and dealers give training and back up when needed.

For me its a good idea :RpS_thumbsup:
As flynnyman said, you still need the skills as a plasterer, buying a machine does not turn an unskilled man into a skilled man. Machines are not a short cut to years of training and learning on the job.
Demonstrations is something that we do in some colleges, this is to show the benefits of machine applying. The problem is that once trained its good to be using the machine on a regular basis and if a student has one day at college on machines and doesn't touch one again for a couple of years, then any knowledge will be lost. As stated before machine manufacturers and dealers give training and back up when needed.
the knowledge be gone but the idea of getting one in the future might not be gone :)

[MENTION][/MENTION]Flynny if you want to be serious, be serious, if you want to have a laugh have a laugh, if you want to take the piss take the piss, but don't try and get one over on everyone in every post because its starting to wear a bit thin........

Flynny if you want to be serious, be serious, if you want to have a laugh have a laugh, if you want to take the piss take the piss, but don't try and get one over on everyone in every post because its starting to wear a bit thin........
shut up you boring prick I was being serious on this thread and if I was taking the piss or having a laugh what has it got to do with you? I am not trying to get one up on anyone if that's how it feels to you the Good coz that will do me, you contributed **** all to this thread as usually get a grip x x

Oh and apart from me on this thread everyone else ignored you so be grateful I an taking the piss out of you x

I think every plasterer should have a machine and all those who don't are closet nonces.
Anyone want to buy my PFT G5?

Status
Not open for further replies.