lovells builders new distance rules

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanclaudevangyproc

any of you lads come across this yet we were on a lovells site in october this year and after being induced we had to give our post codes out so i asked why then the foreman replied with theres a new ruling being past that they can only use labour from within a set distance of 30 miles from any site to give local tradesmen work now i have always travelled at least that distance to sites so i cant see how it could work just wondered what you think if this would actually work??

one site in sheffield asked you where you came from and your mileage, suppose to be something to do with the environment

What you need to do is tell all the Polish on site that the site manager needs their 'home' postcodes.

Was it not just the job you were on ie school or hospital or regenaration area, a few of them council contracts are given out with the understanding that local people get employment from it which is a good thing.

it is to do with the enviroment he bought that up they dont want people travelling frokm miles away anymore looks bad on them for causing lots of emmisions its a joke all this health and safety stuff on top aswell haha good idea with poles think krakow might be pushing it for a job in the local tradesman catchment area of dudley!!!

I got approached to to do SPI Npower contract in Wales, they offered methe job, as we were working long term in the area at the time, but when they delved deeper and found out we were English, they withdrew. Welsh work for welshmen and locals was the reason when i queried them.

I got approached to to do SPI Npower contract in Wales, they offered methe job, as we were working long term in the area at the time, but when they delved deeper and found out we were English, they withdrew. Welsh work for welshmen and locals was the reason when i queried them.

Now wouldn't that backfire if every job in England refused to employ any Welsh workers.

that might be cos the welsh hate the English and equal opportunities only work if you are English

Some of the best guys i know are welsh - good friends too. It's all about the Welsh assembly funding issues and criteria- bureaucracy gone crazy!
Don't think it was anything personal though.

Im have been working on different lovells sites for the past 2 years in the northwest and have not YET been asked the question but it dont surprise me they are a law unto themselves. what makes me laugh is they dont want radios on site for noise and now this emissions shite yet every tradesman has their own generator blasting so why not supply power

Why don't they just get on with it and build the ******* thing wankers there not ******* politicians

kier partnerships are the same no radios a shed to use your phone in and a smoking hut no eating in any properties if you are caught on your phone outside the shed safe zone you are cautioned again and you are removed from site this site we are on even have random urine tests i said im a plasterer not a friggin olyimpian !!

ot sure how strick or if there is a ruling for definate but I know that main contractors look to tender out to render/plaster firms thsat are local.

I have had tenders of people I never worked for because I was in the catchment area, when I asked he said the incentive for them was to recruit local contractors wherever possible as a first option, It was a school so maybe more so on government backed jobs where the gov have more say in matters

this is a housing development private aswell that rule they have means our gaffer has to use jewsons instead of his normal supplier because they are closer to the job even though it costs him more for the stuff as if things arent bad enough they are slowly suffocating the trades by coming out with all these stupid rules made up by someone in a suit and a gimp mask

never heard of this before,
ive got a tender for a kier mono job in sheffield 80 mile away sent the other week,priced it and got it, and a thincoat project from Caddick in nottingham 100 mile plus away from me,to my yard address so they aware of my location. so it must just be on goverment projects, As im principal contractor and havnt had these clauses in the contract.

kier partnerships are the same no radios a shed to use your phone in and a smoking hut no eating in any properties if you are caught on your phone outside the shed safe zone you are cautioned again and you are removed from site this site we are on even have random urine tests i said im a plasterer not a friggin olyimpian !!
urine tests??? your having a laff!!!!! if anyone ever asked me for a urine test id just piss in it and throw it at them!!! why would anyone work on a site like that?

this is a housing development private aswell that rule they have means our gaffer has to use jewsons instead of his normal supplier because they are closer to the job even though it costs him more for the stuff as if things arent bad enough they are slowly suffocating the trades by coming out with all these stupid rules made up by someone in a suit and a gimp mask
wouldnt give jewsons the steam off my s**t, prob cos i couldnt afford to, robbing gets!!

ive got a tender for a kier mono job in sheffield 80 mile away sent the other week,priced it and got it, and a thincoat project from Caddick in nottingham 100 mile plus away from me,to my yard address so they aware of my location. so it must just be on goverment projects, As im principal contractor and havnt had these clauses in the contract.

How can you work for C@nts like that?

urine tests??? your having a laff!!!!! if anyone ever asked me for a urine test id just piss in it and throw it at them!!! why would anyone work on a site like that?

i know mate couldnt believe it myself best part about it the forklift drivers a piss head! we were told the last time they did it a few blokes refused which i would myself and they were told to leave the job its got jack to do with them what you do in your own time

its not set in stone like, you prob wouldn even know anyway it prob wouldnt be stated in the docs to the contractor, no doubt it will crop up soon mate

where you live owls? you not in sheff

They did this on the Olympic stadium, and all he Polish moved to Stratford to get priorty.

Probably is a government thing as I was asked to submit tenders for M.O.D. work recently - and that was about 25 miles as the crow flies:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.