Loosening off socket fronts

Members online

f**k me What a load of b*ll***s! How has loosening sockets got such a reaction??
Have you not had trouble? I unscrewed one and live wire was around screw and it blew off the wall. I should have turned power off first so my mistake. Turned a few fuse boxes off only for the house alarm to go off. Found some sockets with live and neutral wrong way around then you wonder should I correct it. I turned one fuse box switch off and that blew up. Had to call emergency sparks out and I got the bill but I dug in as not my fault the box was duff. Wires snap off and become to short or just fall out. Rusty metal boxes where lugs snapped off. Had lady shouting at me on phone because power was off when she come home one week after I finished which turned out to be boiler fault and nothing to do with me. 20 mile drive one evening to go sort out and get myself out of it. You touch it you own it is the rule. Done my nut in over the years.. I can't be the only one sockets problems.. Anyone skim a wall and that become live because of a cable in the wall somewhere. That's scarey.

Last edited:
Have you not had trouble? I unscrewed one and live wire was around screw and it blew off the wall. I should have turned power off first so my mistake. Turned a few fuse boxes off only for the house alarm to go off. Found some sockets with live and neutral wrong way around then you wonder should I correct it. I turned one fuse box switch off and that blew up. Had to call emergency sparks out and I got the bill but I dug in as not my fault the box was duff. Wires snap off and become to short or just fall out. Rusty metal boxes where lugs snapped off. Had lady shouting at me on phone because power was off when she come home one week after I finished which turned out to be boiler fault and nothing to do with me. 20 mile drive one evening to go sort out and get myself out of it. You touch it you own it is the rule. Done my nut in over the years.. I can't be the only one sockets problems.. Anyone skim a wall and that become live because of a cable in the wall somewhere. That's scarey.
Of course sometimes the odd wire can pop out the back of a socket mate.
But other than that I’ve never had any problems with loosing sockets and putting them back on.

Sometimes I'm late home and just say to wife - electrics.
Wires pop out back on spaghetti 3 way light switch (I now, slowly pull face forward and take photos of wires to see where they all go)
Brittle wire -snaps, then too short.
Spark 2nd fixed 24 spotlights in a ceiling (non quick release)
Bulbs blow when taking lights down - spread gets the blame
Unlabelled fuse box
Lugs snap off or socket screw snaps in it.
Few live walls over the years. Best was my fault, doing a lime onto lath ceiling in a school, nailed through a thick cable, didn't realise until plastering away and leant on scaffold, full, through the body job.
I buy a load of over shoes and use those for covering socket faces, elasticated, so no need for tape.

Sometimes I'm late home and just say to wife - electrics.
Wires pop out back on spaghetti 3 way light switch (I now, slowly pull face forward and take photos of wires to see where they all go)
Brittle wire -snaps, then too short.
Spark 2nd fixed 24 spotlights in a ceiling (non quick release)
Bulbs blow when taking lights down - spread gets the blame
Unlabelled fuse box
Lugs snap off or socket screw snaps in it.
Few live walls over the years. Best was my fault, doing a lime onto lath ceiling in a school, nailed through a thick cable, didn't realise until plastering away and leant on scaffold, full, through the body job.
I buy a load of over shoes and use those for covering socket faces, elasticated, so no need for tape.
I’ve just caught a wire with a screw boarding but only showed itself when the skim went on. Sooooo annoying!

Any resistance when putting screws back in sockets back off. Get a box retreader tool and clean off the tread is something I should of been told about years ago.. Retread tool here

We always unscrew the face plates wrap them in a sand which bag and tape it up, same with lights always drop ceiling roses or take lights down then remove bracket put screws back so we don’t have to make new holes