Loose plaster after taken wallpaper off

Members online

iphammer

Hi all,

I have just moved into an ex council flat which I have a mortgage on. I have taken the wallpaper down tonight to find the plaster falling apart ( it’s in the living room). I believe there use to be a gas fire in place as one of the gas pipes is still there.

I have no experience in plastering!

Looking at the photos how big of a job could this be? Would it just be the case of cutting back all the plaster that is loose and re plastering? Or is it worth re plastering the whole wall?

You’ll need to scrape all the loose plaster off and see how bad it is. If your wallpapering again it could possible be patched but if your planning on painting you’ll need full wall done.

You’ll need to scrape all the loose plaster off and see how bad it is. If your wallpapering again it could possible be patched but if your planning on painting you’ll need full wall done.
If I do the whole wall will I need to put new plasterboard up?

Also can I plaster over wallpaper or is it best to remove the wallpaper? I have removed the main part of the wallpaper and now left with a thin layer

cant see off the photo but if you have used a steam stripper on a wall that's been overskimmed in the past then you will have melted down the pva bond /if that's the case then scrape off full wall and re skim

If I do the whole wall will I need to put new plasterboard up?

Also can I plaster over wallpaper or is it best to remove the wallpaper? I have removed the main part of the wallpaper and now left with a thin layer
Remove all paper from wall is the first thing I’d be doing and see how bad the wall is. You won’t need to plasterboard it as it’s only a few mm of skim that has come off and you can’t plaster over the wallpaper. Take the paper off, scrape the loose plaster off then post another pic and we’ll let you know best way to tackle it.