looking to do my nvq

Status
Not open for further replies.

les22176

hi there i recently did a 4 day course in plastering and this has fanned the flames for me to go on and do summit with it iam in the middle of settin up on me own so was looking to do a nvq in plastering can anybody help me with who provides this training in the newcastle area cheers les

be lads thats sort u out on that front mate, what exactly are you settin up as?? and how old are u?

If you plan to go it alone, you might be better off directing your energy and wonga towards doing just that, if your good ,fair, clean and patient, you will get work to do. It might be a uphill struggle at the mo but if you stick with it...

You need to be working to get your NVQ and then you provide the evidence that you can do the specified job etc. For local providers contact Cskills they will advise on your area.

i would go and ask other plasterers if you can do an apprentiship with them mate. I did that, 1 day a week at college and 4 days working. Got my plastering NVQ 2 out of it. If they dont want to pay your wages then they can get funding from CITB, cant remember exactly how much they give out but page a chunk of my wages. Also if you use CITB then they will pay/or atleast contribute something for all your short courses, such as first aid, working from height, etc, which will give you an advantage later on. I think they even paid towards my over 10 ton 360 excavator license. What that has to do with plastering I dont know. Anyways im in kent so wouldnt be able to tell you of any colleges in newcastle

bigsegs said:
be lads thats sort u out on that front mate, what exactly are you settin up as?? and how old are u?
settin up home improvement company got experiance at every thing else iam offering and some qualifications to but plasterin is what i want to do and am 31

Gary the Spread said:
You need to be working to get your NVQ and then you provide the evidence that you can do the specified job etc. For local providers contact Cskills they will advise on your area.
thanks gary will do

les22176 said:
Gary the Spread said:
thanks gary will do
I used to run a home improvement company.. just general / light building really, anything from a block paved drive to a chimney rebuild...
wasnt short of work, only building / business sense and getting decent lads to help do the job..
helluva lot of hassle imo, and theres loads of 'home improvement' companies so pricing can be fierce... not to mention the amount of gear you have to carry / maintain..
all this is why i now just stick to plasterin...
still, good luck with it mate, and my advise to you would be to find a good spread and get him on side on a contract / subby basis, then when you got a decent sized plasterin job you can muck in with him... youll learn 'real world' plasterin that way...
which is exactly what your gonna need...
tricks of the trade are whats gonna enable you to be competetive..

we work for all sorts of clients .....one of which has a royal stamp on the van ....99% of builders no matter how skilled they are will get a plasterer in ........its a time devoted skill which you cant learn from books/trial and error on youre tod

Status
Not open for further replies.