Looking to become a plasterer best way around it ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaytyson

Hi lads, I want to become a quailified plasterer I'm 22 live in Somerset.My plan is todo the city of guilds coarse to give me a good head start and get a firm to take me on as a labourer and work my way up.I have a driving licence I need to earn minimum of £250 a week as have house to pay for and baby on way,I'm happy to work long days and weekends when need be is this realistic ? Any advice appreciated

It is if it were me I'd do a years labouring then maybe go on the course if you get a bit impatient, then back to it
It is quiet and you'd want 60 a day so you're competing against the school leavers who are cheaper, the course won't help you find work unless you come off the course a good plasterer, if you can't do it you'll get Sussed out in half a day
Go self employed get a utr number and a basic cscs card 30 quid plus the cost of the card 30 quid and there you go, good look it takes a few years, don't get impatient, do what you're told and you'll be a plasterer

It is if it were me I'd do a years labouring then maybe go on the course if you get a bit impatient, then back to it
It is quiet and you'd want 60 a day so you're competing against the school leavers who are cheaper, the course won't help you find work unless you come off the course a good plasterer, if you can't do it you'll get Sussed out in half a day
Go self employed get a utr number and a basic cscs card 30 quid plus the cost of the card 30 quid and there you go, good look it takes a few years, don't get impatient, do what you're told and you'll be a plasterer
Well put Spunky

Ok sound thanks for that going to get Xmas out the way then guna get on the case in the new year ring up all the local firms try get some1 to take me on, I'm sure if some1 gives me chance it's all I will need I'm a quick learner and happy to graft my gonadss off

Top man good luck and stay on here if you're genuine you will get all the help you need

Ok sound thanks for that going to get Xmas out the way then guna get on the case in the new year ring up all the local firms try get some1 to take me on, I'm sure if some1 gives me chance it's all I will need I'm a quick learner and happy to graft my gonadss off
Best of luck mate

It's 'cos Father Christmas is watching and Spunky wants to be on the nice list :RpS_thumbup:

get a job with a decent small plastering team , do the labouring and trowelling up,if you have the hands for it , you will pick it up, I have trained a couple of lads myself over the years, but lately no one wants to learn in london,I am paying 70 a day after tax for labouring and 120 for plastering, the recession knocked us back a lot but we are ticking by nicely now as a two and one, had to let go my labourer as he wanted 80 after tax meaning 500 a week...

Well sed by spunky am just a young lad to mate its hard and needs commitment but you get out what you put in remember that mate gud look

Hi jaytyson,
Going to be a honest im in same boat as you really worked for a builder done some knocking up cleaning up etc when we had plastering work etc so when got laid off jus before xmas thought be a good time to try get into plastering....ive spent hours phoning/emailing small plus big companies always same answer....sorry cant help you mate...so went job centre asked if could get help for courses as have a young family but no have to pay....so looked into a 7 week course for city n guilds £1500 for a 7 week course thats more than the local college course that i dont know if will be anywhere as near useful as college....sooo overall id say unless u have spare cash and find a guy who will look after you and you look after them im pretty sure that plastering is pretty hard to get anywhere with...

stu

There's loads of jobs available you're problem Essex is you want it all on a plate inc getting it ******* paid for, I wouldnt take you on after reading some of the stuff you post you might get a chance but I bet you **** it up because you havent got the attitude

As I have said before I have given up on teenagers they can't hack it but have had success with early 20's with commitments.

As for money then it starts on bare bones labouring rates and the money progresses with progression in skills achieved, it is as simple as that.

As for having kids, mortgage etc so needing a fat wedge to start with but I will work god knows how many hours then dream on. If the master works god knows how many hours you will have to anyway but if he does't then neither will you. The I need 'x' amount minimum isn't his problem, he will not pay more than you are worth.

NVQ's is ok for emigration and cis cards but proves nothing. My labour has an NVQ in plastering and has never plastered in his life. Just fiddled the govt sponsored training program.

The private courses will learn you the bare bones basics and not speed. Start with a pro and go from there and invest in quality tools. A good spread will have quality tools and probably like me cannot do a good job with cheap tools so can can a trainee be expected to learn with cheap tools?

Also it is the wrong time of year to be taking on. More chance in April onwards. Send emails and letters every month. When an opportunity comes up someone will ring you back. Persistence shows enthusiasm.

Good luck with it.

Rigsby there's a big jump in nmw don't you think you're better off being a bit patient with a 16 year old than paying over the odds for an older lad?

spunky i dont see how you know me well enough to say that....i have a family etc lucky enough for me i wasnt a dumb **** and put money away so this year i could have a go at getting a plasterers labourer job....i worked for a builder for 16 months spent the first 2 lugging slate tiles for £35 a day....but obviously you know me so well spunky to be honest seems your mouth controls your brain....think whoever has to work with you will have more of a hard day putting up with you than doing the job

Status
Not open for further replies.