London site rates for skimming houses

• Thread starter Deleted member 32554
  • Start date

Members online

I don't really have overheads , just want to be paid for working , it just seems fairer

Fuel
Vehicle repairs and maintenance
Tools
Insurance
Etc etc etc

Just a few over heads you have, so you are now only working for £1.80 an hour :D

Unforseens I may charge an hourly rate to rectify, but this can be a grey area on certain jobs, and IMO, it's my responsibility to factor into a quote. Sometimes have to take a hit, but hopefully it hasn't eaten into my wage, just my profit.

Fuel
Vehicle repairs and maintenance
Tools
Insurance
Etc etc etc

Just a few over heads you have, so you are now only working for £1.80 an hour :D

Unforseens I may charge an hourly rate to rectify, but this can be a grey area on certain jobs, and IMO, it's my responsibility to factor into a quote. Sometimes have to take a hit, but hopefully it hasn't eaten into my wage, just my profit.
Fuel , expect to pay to drive to work, mostly local or sleep in car
Vehicle repairs , DIY, ford galaxy
Tools, trowells at least 10 years ( ss ) 1 X new drill £50 5 years , new skim bucket per year £6 cordless X5 ( auction , Ryobi ) £100 only just bought replacement battery £26 ( 5ah
Insurance, £70 per year.
Dust sheets, Oxfam donation , customer pays for pro sheet if required.
I live in a different world to most tradesmen

Fuel , expect to pay to drive to work, mostly local or sleep in car
Vehicle repairs , DIY, ford galaxy
Tools, trowells at least 10 years ( ss ) 1 X new drill £50 5 years , new skim bucket per year £6 cordless X5 ( auction , Ryobi ) £100 only just bought replacement battery £26 ( 5ah
Insurance, £70 per year.
Dust sheets, Oxfam donation , customer pays for pro sheet if required.
I live in a different world to most tradesmen

So are you registered as self employed, do you pay tax?

So are you registered as self employed, do you pay tax?
Yes , refuse cash only accept bank transfer, only earn about £11,000 , just do enough to get bye , been busy with own building work for the last 10 years , wife and kids all sorted with high paid jobs , I love to keep busy and life's just got uncomplicated since the kids got there own houses so I wanted to change my work pattern to block earn 7 days a week for a couple of months at a time hence my enquiry for site rates .

Yes , refuse cash only accept bank transfer, only earn about £11,000 , just do enough to get bye , been busy with own building work for the last 10 years , wife and kids all sorted with high paid jobs , I love to keep busy and life's just got uncomplicated since the kids got there own houses so I wanted to change my work pattern to block earn 7 days a week for a couple of months at a time hence my enquiry for site rates .
So why not just knuckle down and earn more money out of the private sector? I very much doubt that you'd slot back into making decent money on sites anyway.

So why not just knuckle down and earn more money out of the private sector? I very much doubt that you'd slot back into making decent money on sites anyway.
Mentally can't handle quote with profit so always on a looser , always been working for 2 builders , absolutely no quibble about cost , they can both plaster so understand about prep , when I was younger I'd work for anyone but was sick of builders cutting corners and always felt I was covering things up for them

Mentally can't handle quote with profit so always on a looser , always been working for 2 builders , absolutely no quibble about cost , they can both plaster so understand about prep , when I was younger I'd work for anyone but was sick of builders cutting corners and always felt I was covering things up for them
With all do respect..... you sound more messed up than Andy g . Is this what the trade does to us?
Had to live with it, I do some private work for old customers but they all understand that I don't do quotes , much of this is overskim and they accept my unorthodox approach as they know to go elsewhere is going to cost, eg an artex ceiling say 12 m2, good condition, not much depth , they clear the room and sheet the floor , I don't except responsibility for accidents, I scrape , PVA 2 or 3 coats , 2 or 3 mf coats , done in 5 HR , £90 plus materials .

:rayos:
And we are after @algeeman for undercutting the whole trade . Don’t wanna hear it anymore :tonto:
Sorry, not out to undercut anyone , I just want a simple life , paid by the hour , no hassle , hence , probably go on site, will easily throw 50+ m2 at £3.50 it's a pay rise for going to the gym, no gaps between jobs , 2 months work and the rest of the year off to play

:rayos:
And we are after @algeeman for undercutting the whole trade . Don’t wanna hear it anymore :tonto:
You will undoubtedly have to charge much more as you likely have to factor in for maybe 3 qoutes also in case of any problems so at least 50% more , sheeting up etc and probably more drive time , unknown customers , problems with payment and it's likely to double my price , it's a totally different situation for me , I don't work for anyone who I don't know and they have no experience of any other plasterers , you would probably call it mates rates

I hope it's a joke
If you think my approach to double skimming dodgy artex and multi suction surfaces , dry lining around stud doorway was ? I have some future posts to on boarding cielings and dot and dab techniques to come , I've been working on my own for 20 years , have no real comprehension of what you all do as I don't know any other plasterers

They usually want a 3 bed house done in 2 to 3 days a flat 2 days at most
So how many m2 a day , not usually impressed with the quality I've seen so I'm surprised at £3.50

About 80 to 90 a day at least
That's £300 a day , no wonder you all are . scratching your head at me . That's doable , only usually do 6 HR, Don't even bother with speedskim most of the time , great money though , don't mind taking it from a contractor

Try cj drylining from bedfordshire
Cheers , not even got cswhatever , got a house with my builder in a week or so , will be talking about future with him , didn't have a clue what going rate was , not an issue as I've got bye and it's been a convenient way to support my lifestyle , wow £ 300 a day , for going to the gym unbelievable !

Cheers , not even got cswhatever , got a house with my builder in a week or so , will be talking about future with him , didn't have a clue what going rate was , not an issue as I've got bye and it's been a convenient way to support my lifestyle , wow £ 300 a day , for going to the gym unbelievable !
Stick in the hole you are at the moment or you'll lose your job. You said you are happy?!?Why the sudden change If you don't need it?

Stick in the hole you are at the moment or you'll lose your job. You said you are happy?!?Why the sudden change If you don't need it?
The builder has long term personal problems , expecting him to slow up and will not have enough work for me, he can plaster , just can't put enough on and get the quality , we're both mid 50's , from our waistlines you can tell who spreads , not that many years ago I was push biking up to 30 m per day to go to spread , got knocked over by a car at a junction and the wife nagged me so much I had to start going by car . Not delighted at the prospect of boards as I enjoy the adventure and sense of achievement with overskim , but can't face the haggle with unknown customers