Log burner

Members online

Kasper

Hi, I recently thought of changing direction or adding new skill set to my portfolio and was thinking of starting to actually install the log burners from scratch. I'm thinking of doing a hetas h003 certificate. Anyone here is doing this sort of thing? I've done shed loads of fireplaces this year with fibreboards and I really enjoy the process and it's something different from plastering, plus I know for fact you can make a good money out of it, especially now when gas and electricity is so expensive...

Hi, I recently thought of changing direction or adding new skill set to my portfolio and was thinking of starting to actually install the log burners from scratch. I'm thinking of doing a hetas h003 certificate. Anyone here is doing this sort of thing? I've done shed loads of fireplaces this year with fibreboards and I really enjoy the process and it's something different from plastering, plus I know for fact you can make a good money out of it, especially now when gas and electricity is so expensive...

I've invented dope and alcohol tasting vapes

for kids of course

@Tinytom

Iv been fitting them nearly 10 years now, easy money you need a labourer and scaffolder on hand.
It’s flat out October to March, you can earn 1k to 1800 a day through winter no worries
The hetas course is easy and they advertise for you on their website I get maybe half my customers from there, the rest word of mouth.
This year has been unusually busy and you’ve been able to name your price
I’d say go for it, unless you live in my area

Thanks @Tinytom very informative reply. How long did your course take and how much was it mate if you don't mind asking. I got few ideas for how to grow it to get more customers, I got pretty well established around my area, a lot of cotswold villages with plenty of old cottages so I'm sure I'd be fine work wise. Is there any cons of fitting log burners that you can think of ?

Cheers.

Thanks @Tinytom I got pretty well established around my area, a lot of cotswold villages with plenty of old cottages so I'm sure I'd be fine work wise.

Cheers.
Old cottages, they catch fire easy. Why don't you sell them a fire insurance as well?

Thanks @Tinytom very informative reply. How long did your course take and how much was it mate if you don't mind asking. I got few ideas for how to grow it to get more customers, I got pretty well established around my area, a lot of cotswold villages with plenty of old cottages so I'm sure I'd be fine work wise. Is there any cons of fitting log burners that you can think of ?

Cheers.
It’s a weeks course for the basic qual, then I did extra for wet installations so I can link upto heating systems and I also did an extra day for twin wall chimney installations. Both were worth while, I can’t remember the initial price but it wasn’t cheap and the place I did it has since closed down, there will be others though.
Absolutly no cons of fitting them, you won’t struggle for work throughout the winter. If your in a rural area you’ll get plenty through summer too I do landlords servicing, £85 plus vat per appliance and I can do 7/8 a day if there local and some properties have more than 1 chimney in use

Like Tinytom, it's my main trade for the last 6-7 years. Pretty much as he says, I don't earn as much mainly due to age and laziness. I don't do wet systems but I do a lot of twinwall internal and external. There's a fair bit of (friendly) competition but a lot of work down south, but rates do vary quite a lot.

HETAS courses and renewals aren't cheap and getting a bit more difficult to pass. I did my first course at the same place as Tom. There is a lot to learn, but it's not difficult, they do lots of technical but don't touch the practical virtually at all. Getting the experience, pricing it accurately, and learning the practical bits to make it easier might be the hard bit.

Thanks guys for the info. I already contacted course centre in Gloucester so might be able to do it soonish. I do like to challenge myself every now and then, even if nothing comes out of it at the end it might be beneficial for something else, I got pretty bored now of just plastering, so I do quite a bit if rendering now to break it up a bit so that would definitely be a game changer. Thanks again for help, I'll keep you updated on how I'm getting on

Anyone here do dodgy certificates?
asking for a friend
Been asked for that a few times - no fecking way. Thing you have to remember is if you get it wrong building or plastering it can be fixed and no real harm done. Get it wrong installing and you kill someone or harm them for life, and maybe end up in clinky.
I've had one serious investigation, got a clean sheet, but never want to have another.

@Brimstone @Tinytom

I want to install a log burner in my garden office. I am right at eth limit on teh height for my overall height of the building... does the flue height count on permitted development?

My roof tiles are concrete marley tiles so they should be ok :D

@Brimstone @Tinytom

I want to install a log burner in my garden office. I am right at eth limit on teh height for my overall height of the building... does the flue height count on permitted development?

My roof tiles are concrete marley tiles so they should be ok :D
Ideally you want 4.5m minimum height for your chimney
Not sure how it would impact your permitted development. It would depend if any neighbours complained

Ideally you want 4.5m minimum height for your chimney
Not sure how it would impact your permitted development. It would depend if any neighbours complained
Yeah I have read that 4.5 is the ideal height... on a house teh PD height of a chimney does not matter... but for a outbuilding... I am not sure..

that's 4.5 off the top of the stove - but if its straight up off the top I find usually they work ok on 3m or 3.5, but there's no guarantee as all the stoves are different, especially the new 2020 compliant ones.
Permitted development does not normally include chimney's, it refers to roofs, but its a judgement call by Planning, or more usually the Building Control guy.
What is more important is if the neighbours are ok with it, otherwise thry'll raise a Nuisance complaint. However, if you are burning <20% or lower wood or smokeless fuel properly (i.,e hot enough to be smokeless) then there is nothing for the environmental to object to. (Been thru this with an objectionable neighbour on one of my installs).

that's 4.5 off the top of the stove - but if its straight up off the top I find usually they work ok on 3m or 3.5, but there's no guarantee as all the stoves are different, especially the new 2020 compliant ones.
Permitted development does not normally include chimney's, it refers to roofs, but its a judgement call by Planning, or more usually the Building Control guy.
What is more important is if the neighbours are ok with it, otherwise thry'll raise a Nuisance complaint. However, if you are burning <20% or lower wood or smokeless fuel properly (i.,e hot enough to be smokeless) then there is nothing for the environmental to object to. (Been thru this with an objectionable neighbour on one of my installs).
Do you have a link about the not a planning issue?

I am stretching the limits on Building control at the moment, my internal floor area is currently 31.4m2 so I need to add some internal walls and more insulation to lose 1.4m2 of internal floor area.

Do you have a link about the not a planning issue?

I am stretching the limits on Building control at the moment, my internal floor area is currently 31.4m2 so I need to add some internal walls and more insulation to lose 1.4m2 of internal floor area.
Whatever you do, don’t cheap out and fit it yourself then ask someone if they’ll sign it off for you.
Not sure about you @Brimstone but I hate signing other peoples jobs off, I will do it but charge a small fortune for half an hours work.

Whatever you do, don’t cheap out and fit it yourself then ask someone if they’ll sign it off for you.
Not sure about you @Brimstone but I hate signing other peoples jobs off, I will do it but charge a small fortune for half an hours work.
I have a local company that I plan on using

Can you sign mine off if I sell house please x
In fact forget it I will take the £2k scan inset wood burner out with me and leave them a flue dangling down chimney….

Sounds like good money...was speaking to a mate of mine and he is spray painting commercial and making £1000 a day (on his own)! and people think plasterers are overpaid earning £300 a day!

I hate doing it and often decline, and like you charge pretty much the cost of a full install. I take a lot longer than 1/2 hour though, it's high risk and quite often I find a no no that needs fixing. Usually clearances to combustibles.

Can you sign mine off if I sell house please x
In fact forget it I will take the £2k scan inset wood burner out with me and leave them a flue dangling down chimney….
Just turned someone down tonight where the previous owner had done just that.

I hate doing it and often decline, and like you charge pretty much the cost of a full install. I take a lot longer than 1/2 hour though, it's high risk and quite often I find a no no that needs fixing. Usually clearances to combustibles.
Last one I did was for a plumber who was adamant he was fitting it himself.
I got him to send me pics all the way through and I went through everything when I got there.
Still didn’t take more than half hour though, even hetas when they last came out to check mine were only 15/20 mins

Last one I did was for a plumber who was adamant he was fitting it himself.
I got him to send me pics all the way through and I went through everything when I got there.
Still didn’t take more than half hour though, even hetas when they last came out to check mine were only 15/20 mins
Yeah, but if it goes wrong then it all falls on you big time. Had one close shave with a serious incident - exonerated, but could have ended up in jail or bankrupt or both. I like to sleep at night.

Sounds like good money...was speaking to a mate of mine and he is spray painting commercial and making £1000 a day (on his own)! and people think plasterers are overpaid earning £300 a day!
Do you reckon your mate could be exaggerating just a bit

Thoughtbyou were on 900 a day

Do you reckon your mate could be exaggerating just a bit

No sh*t. The guy invested alot in kit and has a very fast way of working. He told me its not every day but if its a white wash top to bottom for a landlord he will charge 3K plus mats and be out in 3 days.

No sh*t. The guy invested alot in kit and has a very fast way of working. He told me its not every day but if its a white wash top to bottom for a landlord he will charge 3K plus mats and be out in 3 days.
Most landlords are mega tight. I have one now who needs some rendering done, he has got me a job on a refurb and he wants to know if i can charge his mate for his work!