Log burner

Casper

Private Member
Prepping a fireplace for a log burner. Customer has suggested cement board. I reckon sand & cement. It’s bare brick at present. Ideas?

One I did. architect insisted on sand cement and that surround which I wasn't to happy about being near log burner, still going well not burnt house down yet !
Screenshot_20221212-143936.png

Victus heat resistant plaster you will need a couple of tubs @ about £40 per tub. This material does not like to be ruled off. I just lay it on in 3 coats then a fine sponge finish. Fit rules for external angles , no angle beads for that sort of heat.
There is also Victus heat resistant plasterboard.

I put standard board on then tiled. Been in over 3 years now, 14kw used regularily. Lad I kknow who fits them recommends s and c for internals if not tiling. He told me I should glasroc before tiling and not later board but turns out I knew best

Other than the oak mantle there is no wood other than the stuff burning in the fire. I was told to use a fake porcelain one instead of the wood. Yet it still hasn't burnt the house down

Attachments

• 20221215_203441.jpg
    20221215_203441.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
I put standard board on then tiled. Been in over 3 years now, 14kw used regularily. Lad I kknow who fits them recommends s and c for internals if not tiling. He told me I should glasroc before tiling and not later board but turns out I knew best

Other than the oak mantle there is no wood other than the stuff burning in the fire. I was told to use a fake porcelain one instead of the wood. Yet it still hasn't burnt the house down
Every job is different. Just because yours has been ok it doesn’t mean they will all be.
Iv seen chimneys with floor joists finishing in the flue! But you don’t need to condemn something that’s worked for 50 years safely

Kind of agree here unless you live in a cottage or older house I think it looks best when the brick work has been cleaned and restored pointed up etc it ties in with the theme of the house in newer houses I think tiles is much better than a render or plaster finish

Victus heat resistant plaster you will need a couple of tubs @ about £40 per tub. This material does not like to be ruled off. I just lay it on in 3 coats then a fine sponge finish. Fit rules for external angles , no angle beads for that sort of heat.
There is also Victus heat resistant plasterboard.
you must be one of the very few who have worked out how to use Vitcas, most don't get on with it and swear about it. Enough bad reports to have put me off even trying it.