Log Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am thinking of installing a log burner into my lounge. There is no chimney for the flue to run through, I will have one coming out the top then bending back to go through the external wall behind it before running all the way up the external wall outside. It looks like I can buy everything I need on ebay but how easy is it to actually fit apart from having to punch a hole through 2 skins of a cavity wall. Do I need to get it signed off by somebody? Any help much appreciated and any advice if any of you have installed one before.. Cheers

Yoy really need a hetas reg engineer to buy it off when you have installed it if they will but i do know lots of peeps who have installed their own and it is easy. just google for the reg's to make sure you are installing correctly :RpS_thumbup:

oh just remembered if you gonna splash out go for a scandinavian one or similar cos they burn at something like 80 to 90% efficiency compared to 40 ish for your bog standard ebay log burners. Oh and hope you like sawing and chopping wood :RpS_thumbup:

Oh i forgot about the fan tip there are quite a few peeps up here that have installed 12v fans behind the fire connected to small solar panels so they can radiate the heat some claim they keep whole 2 and 3 bed cottages warm by this method !

my son in law built his own log burner stove, then put ducting pipe in the heat to the other rooms.

I put a log burner in 2 years ago,,nevee looked back, got a multifuel one off eBay 250 quid not a problem at all with it, saved me a fortune in heating, also Nick posted a link to a stove top fan which is self powered (kinetic energy I think) bloody good

You either need someone who is hetas registered to sign it off or go through building control (who know fuckall about it) you need to be looking at type of flooring, width around it, venting in the room, carbon monoxide alarms, types of flues. I done one a while back for the inlaws, built the chimney through the roof (removed years earlier) rebuilt the chimney, tiled the floor, fitted a vent then got a hetas guy in to fit the the fire and plate. If you get someone out they will give you all the bollox and want to fit liners and so on, just do a search on tinternet but you need to get it signed off if yopu want it done safely :)

Status
Not open for further replies.