Log burner question

Members online

John j

Mono Don
Is there a regulation size of space thats needed round these.
Customer just phoned. He had one fitted but not got enough space to tile round now . Said kid who fitted it wasnt a plasterer. I thought you had to have so much space round em . Wants me to see if i can make it wider

Is there a regulation size of space thats needed round these.
Customer just phoned. He had one fitted but not got enough space to tile round now . Said kid who fitted it wasnt a plasterer. I thought you had to have so much space round em . Wants me to see if i can make it wider
He wasn't a proper HETAS fitter either, like wot I am. You might want to tell him to get one and walk away quickly. There is'nt a regulation about the space, that is kind of defined by the make of stove/manufacturer, although there is a Reg about thickness of wall and how close to it.
Basically somewhere between 50 to 150mm either side and not less than 50mm at the back in an existing fireplace for most stoves - stoves work by heating up the air next to them and it moving away. If you aint got room to tile it aint going to work anyway.
Yes, it will need widening and probably add some height aswell, 150mm over the top is pretty minimal, don't forget a new lintel, lime cement render in the opening or tile on brick or cement board - plaster will blow even if tiled over. And remind the customer he needs a CO alarm unless he wants him or his family to be the canary. It is his responsibility to get Building Control approval - suggest you say that on your invoice to cover your butt. I could ramble on about chimney liners but it sounds like he's a cheapo and it's his family not mine.

Opening up or changing a chimney might also constitute building work requiring regs and approval as well. I believe that a stove cannot be within 450mm of anything flammable (at least that was what they said when they fitted our 3 stoves) unless said material is protected... They screwed some cement board under my wooden lintels.

Yes it might, bit of a moot point whether that is covered within my Competent person rating. 450 is a pretty good general rule of thumb but not fixed, it depends upon the stove manufacturers spec. I've just fitted a Delusso stove with a 50mm to combustibles at back and sides. Some Hunters it's 600 to any shelf.
Unless there was an air gap behind it, the cement board will be transmitting heat thru' it to the wood just like a glass top cooker.

This is a subject I find quite interesting tbh as I’ve seen and work on many , one of my most recent was actually called in to put right what a heatas registrated company with a full showroom shop had done wrong , without going into to much details for obvious reasons the client had the certification off them but when I stripped the shambles away couldn’t believe what I found , a1 boards stuck to soot which had come away from the brick inside of fire opening , lintel not packed and pointed they installed, back a1 boards held with the two sides and no fire corking used , tbh I asked about close ness to the actual fire the A1 could be , heatas don’t seem to bothered tbh and I was surprised by how crap they were

Also must say on most quotes when client ask my opinion on fire places that have been opened up from previously being blocked up I tend to talk them out of having log burners and concentrate there efforts on returning it to its original state as most of the time it looks better and is far cheaper to just do remedial works to opening and breast and buy a basic log grate holder , most chimneys don’t have hardly any leaks with smoke bomb test and grates are as little as £80

Yeah, there are some really crap ones out there, we've had quite corrective jobs/reports myself, how the hell they continue to get away with it I don't know.
Fitting a stove properly aint cheap and a lot of the stores try to rip the customer off, unbelievable some strokes they do - exactly as you say. It's certainly cheaper to keep the old hole and fit a basket but the basket often doesn't work well, - bit techie as to why but I get called to sort em out after.
Sorry I'll have to disagree with you about the leaks though. Smoke bombs only show the big holes, the fumes get right through the mortar joint over time, no holes but lethal. Quite a few die each year. Worse case I've ever seen was actually my own place in London a few years ago, bought it off the landlord. Light the gas fire downstairs and instantly my own little rental room above was filled with fumes. My very first liner jobs were for my own 5 flues when I bought it not long after. Headaches ended, eyes better etc. Did my own rendering in the openings - so bad would've made you cry!

He.s getting installer back out as he.s not happy.
We thought bout a log burner but didnt want a wood yard in back garden and also had baby plus cream carpet and wife said i.ll never clean it lol went for a duplex instead

Attachments

• 15353168540345938884529740075277.jpg
    15353168540345938884529740075277.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 161
Sometimes the best option, looks ok hey? And saved maybe £2.5k or £4k if you went to a stove shop. Nice opening, you could always fit a smokeless fuel one later. It also costs more to get them swept in Yorkshire for some reason, I kid you not!

Few ripples in that floor
You got to have one all the time it the light m8 y do people always go on about ripples in a dark room when you got shade of the light at the end of the day if it done by hand it is going to be 100% perfect ther is carpet going on top I hope. By the way im not the one that did the floor before you give me that one lol

You got to have one all the time it the light m8 y do people always go on about ripples in a dark room when you got shade of the light at the end of the day if it done by hand it is going to be 100% perfect ther is carpet going on top I hope. By the way im not the one that did the floor before you give me that one lol
That is carpet lol

Its got memory foam under lay ye could sleep on that lol
That was a joke mate I can see it's carpet