Loft coversion

Members online

windy

Private Member
anyone of you lads know the approx price I should be looking for to do a loft bedroom into a victorian mid terrace..

No dorma
No bathroom
2 velux windows
Just a stairwell and a bedroom to go into the loft...
Would prefer building reg approval...
Its not a quote its my own house...just a heads up before I get quotes...

Rough price northwest area ( excluding plastering)

anyone of you lads know the approx price I should be looking for to do a loft bedroom into a victorian mid terrace..

No dorma
No bathroom
2 velux windows

Ger an architect/structural engineers report and go from there.

When i did my own loft conversion, I got building regs etc etc

but I had to double all joists so pretty much every ceiling had to come down etc...

so I ripped the whole place apart and did full renovation :D

I spent £40K I think but that included paying rent and mortgage :D

No dorma
No bathroom
2 velux windows

In London, with a dormer and bathroom , 35/40k

if ur doing it urself Without the above , I’d be surprised if u done more than 15k

My son in law got a quote similar to you shell only,but with a dormer and quote was £20k..way too expensive for just a shell

My son in law got a quote similar to you shell only,but with a dormer and quote was £20k..way too expensive for just a shell
Ye we are in northwest so no London prices. .we dont want dorma so was hoping to come in around 15k + for just a bedroom ,stairs and velux windows ...wont need scaffold

No scaffold needed, just done mine with an ensuite 3 veluxes building control etc. Materials come in at about 7-8k including bathroom

No scaffold needed, just done mine with an ensuite 3 veluxes building control etc. Materials come in at about 7-8k including bathroom
What are the basics of meeting building control if you don't mind me asking ...I'm not too clued up on structural work

What are the basics of meeting building control if you don't mind me asking ...I'm not too clued up on structural work
New structural floor, probably 8x2's, if you've got the height easier to resin bolt timber wall plates off your gables and run over the top of existing rafters, that's what I did but my apex was over 3m, 100m insulation between rafters and 50 inulated board over the top, 2m head height (I think on the stairs)...either wired in smoke detectors in every room off the hallway or fire doors on every door (smoke detectors in hallway anyway) and a dry ridge or tile vents and soffit vents for ventilation. If you ever want a walk through PM me and I'll drop you my number

New structural floor, probably 8x2's, if you've got the height easier to resin bolt timber wall plates off your gables and run over the top of existing rafters, that's what I did but my apex was over 3m, 100m insulation between rafters and 50 inulated board over the top, 2m head height (I think on the stairs)...either wired in smoke detectors in every room off the hallway or fire doors on every door (smoke detectors in hallway anyway) and a dry ridge or tile vents and soffit vents for ventilation. If you ever want a walk through PM me and I'll drop you my number
Many thanks appreciate it

Y does he need scaffolding for two velux windows?

your talking about a tin hat!

Possibly, for access and getting beams or joists in. If it's a terrace it'd be rare to be able to get 5 or 6 metre timbers up inside, and impossible if using steels. Most BC insist on steels now as the calcs are more accurate and they can take some load from the purlins.

Possibly, for access and getting beams or joists in. If it's a terrace it'd be rare to be able to get 5 or 6 metre timbers up inside, and impossible if using steels. Most BC insist on steels now as the calcs are more accurate and they can take some load from the purlins.
Lots of builders insist on a tin hat

Lots of builders insist on a tin hat
Yeah, mainly because you can never predict weather or delays.

Like so many things it's very subjective. Access, parking, space inside, garden size, roof type (cut, trusses) chimney position etc etc. Anyone saying "you do it this way" without seeing the job is just waffling. It's like me asking how much to plaster the job I'm on now and expecting a quote.

Be easier to crane them in if the scaffolding is just for steels surely?

Be easier to crane them in if the scaffolding is just for steels surely?

You'd need someone up top to crane them, the slightest breeze and you end up with an extra velux hole. Neither you nor the customer would be insured without it, and I doubt you'd get a crane driver to lift blind like that anyway.

Quality

You'd need someone up top to crane them, the slightest breeze and you end up with an extra velux hole. Neither you nor the customer would be insured without it, and I doubt you'd get a crane driver to lift blind like that anyway.
I’ll bow to your superior knowledge on that then

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge on that then

You wouldn't believe the effect a slight breeze will have on a slung beam. It's like trying to hold back a dinghy. You definitely want to be on a scaffold to control it.

People do work without scaffold but I wouldn't. I don't see why my risk should be increased because of a customer's budget. Some work is expensive, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that building an extension 30 feet in the air is one of those jobs.