Lockdown newbie ceiling! Best way to tackle??

Members online

Djs90

Hey all,
I’m no plasterer but have had a go in the past on small walls and even a small ceiling. Since this corona lockdown, getting a plasterer in is a no go, I prepared myself before hand and got all the gear before the lockdown to keep myself busy finishing up a kitchen/diner extension.
The kitchen turns up Tuesday still! :oops: Iv already plastered some areas which turned out spot on if I’m honest, couple little knicks to fill out after, but overall flat and smooth. Next on the list is the main ceiling...being 35sqm at 5mx7m, with a 3mx1.5m skylight opening in the middle, there is no way I’m going to be able to do this is 1 hit, or even complete on same day, any serious suggestions on how to go about it with a novice like me in mind, who simply cannot get a plasterer in, or wait til the lockdown is over (whenever that may be). As long as I get the ceiling done before Tuesday, the kitchen can be stacked in the middle and I’m confident in finishing the walls, the biggest wall is 5m as the others have openings.
With the ceiling, can a dry joint be sorted out eventually? Even if it means sanding down and possibly easy filling? Or will it just crack? Or maybe start and stop so the joints don’t meet, with skrim beneath, and easyfil after?
:frenetico:
Any suggestions or words of encouragement will be welcome :birra:

Hey all,
I’m no plasterer but have had a go in the past on small walls and even a small ceiling. Since this corona lockdown, getting a plasterer in is a no go, I prepared myself before hand and got all the gear before the lockdown to keep myself busy finishing up a kitchen/diner extension.
The kitchen turns up Tuesday still! :oops: Iv already plastered some areas which turned out spot on if I’m honest, couple little knicks to fill out after, but overall flat and smooth. Next on the list is the main ceiling...being 35sqm at 5mx7m, with a 3mx1.5m skylight opening in the middle, there is no way I’m going to be able to do this is 1 hit, or even complete on same day, any serious suggestions on how to go about it with a novice like me in mind, who simply cannot get a plasterer in, or wait til the lockdown is over (whenever that may be). As long as I get the ceiling done before Tuesday, the kitchen can be stacked in the middle and I’m confident in finishing the walls, the biggest wall is 5m as the others have openings.
With the ceiling, can a dry joint be sorted out eventually? Even if it means sanding down and possibly easy filling? Or will it just crack? Or maybe start and stop so the joints don’t meet, with skrim beneath, and easyfil after?
You’re totally out of you’re depth I’m afraid! I hope you are very strong physically and mentally, you will be tested to the limits on a lid of that size with no previous experience of Plastering. I wish you luck, you’re gonna need it!

Hey all,

Ignore everyone you will piss it mate plastering easy!

Before & after pics please!

that is one big ceiling for an experienced plasterer,......can not understand these people,...just get a plasterer in to do it,...can see this ending in tears,....please post before and after pictures ,not just of the ceiling but also of you and your wife,........
1. first picture will be a smiling/happy couple,.....we can do this ,....nice clean overalls/hands/hair,.....dont listen to those nasty plasterers you will be saying to each other,......good luck darling ,good luck darling,...love you love you too sweetness.
2. reality kicking in ,....more plaster on the floor then ceiling,...clean overalls a distant memory,...wife complaining non stop,my hair my hair,...plaster all over it,....my hands,....my nails,...my beautiful nails,.....oh how i hate you ,........you falling off the one pair of steps you have,..thinking why is it not sticking to the ceiling,
3. the end,...both of you not speaking,...you fending her off with a brush ,while she throws plaster she has picked off the floor at you.......ceiling well what can i say,what does it look like,......both of you covered in dust/plaster/sweat,.......oh your wife must look pretty after all this,.....
4.this is why we need photos djs90,......before and after,......oh also post a picture of your newkitchen/new television ,......plasering and plasterer should have come first

:LOL: There’s defo some great words of encouragement here!! Lmao! I had a plasterer lined up, before the lockdown the schedule was going perfectly! Ah well....here goes nothing!

Hey all,
I’m no plasterer but have had a go in the past on small walls and even a small ceiling. Since this corona lockdown, getting a plasterer in is a no go, I prepared myself before hand and got all the gear before the lockdown to keep myself busy finishing up a kitchen/diner
extension.

Hi danny , you’ll get there in the end , better off setting up a Forum and sell advertising

that is one big ceiling for an experienced plasterer,......can not understand these people,...just get a plasterer in to do it,...can see this ending in tears,....please post before and after pictures ,not just of the ceiling but also of you and your wife,........
1. first picture will be a smiling/happy couple,.....we can do this ,....nice clean overalls/hands/hair,.....dont listen to those nasty plasterers you will be saying to each other,......good luck darling ,good luck darling,...love you love you too sweetness.
2. reality kicking in ,....more plaster on the floor then ceiling,...clean overalls a distant memory,...wife complaining non stop,my hair my hair,...plaster all over it,....my hands,....my nails,...my beautiful nails,.....oh how i hate you ,........you falling off the one pair of steps you have,..thinking why is it not sticking to the ceiling,
3. the end,...both of you not speaking,...you fending her off with a brush ,while she throws plaster she has picked off the floor at you.......ceiling well what can i say,what does it look like,......both of you covered in dust/plaster/sweat,.......oh your wife must look pretty after all this,.....
4.this is why we need photos djs90,......before and after,......oh also post a picture of your newkitchen/new television ,......plasering and plasterer should have come first
Best post EVER!!!!! Hahahahaha!!!

Hey all,
I don't understand why you can't wait for a plasterer. You're going to be waiting for every other trade so what does it matter? The kitchen can just be moved outside for the day or into your living room. You're going to ruin what I'm assuming is a very expensive room

Why can the kitchen fitter work but not the plasterer ? Or you fitting the kitchen ya self ??

you’ll prob end up f**k**g up the ceiling and paying to get it re done or hurting yourself ( plasterer in the eye) also your gonna ruin your tools and buckets as well so might as well just not bother fella IMVHO

Got any pics?
1586687579873.jpeg

I take it it’s plasterboard so why don’t you Ames tape it? Helluva lot easier for a newbie to do that than plaster it

:LOL: There’s defo some great words of encouragement here!! Lmao! I had a plasterer lined up, before the lockdown the schedule was going perfectly! Ah well....here goes nothing!

Split it into 3 bays with 2 straight lines of scrim. Skim first, carefully pull off scrim to give you a straight edge, skim next, pull off next line of scrim, skim last. Easifill and sand joins when dry.

3 nice manageable hits that you can do in a day if you start early.

If it's a plasterboarded ceiling mate throw 15 sachets of extra time in the mix,if it's skimming over the existing ceiling chuck an extra 5 sachets in to make it 20,it should be ready to trowel up by the time the kitchen fitter arrives to install everything

If it's a plasterboarded ceiling mate throw 15 sachets of extra time in the mix,if it's skimming over the existing ceiling chuck an extra 5 sachets in to make it 20,it should be ready to trowel up by the time the kitchen fitter arrives to install everything
Took your advice mate, went perfect, 2nd coat went up couple hours ago, should be good to polish in the morning! (y)

Took your advice mate, went perfect, 2nd coat went up couple hours ago, should be good to polish in the morning! (y)
need some pictures djs90,....also something in writing from your wife saying everything okay,...no divorce/hair and nails okay,......and she would happily mix for you again,.......also assurance from yourself that you are not waking up through the night shouting,....send that bucket of skim back its too soft/just one more polish,/definate last time i fall off steps,.....and lastly an assurance from the samaritans that the counselling is helping you get over this

there are plenty of plasterers still working. where are you based Djs90 ? don't attempt to skim it yourself, you will be better off tape jointing it.
malc ,.....local paper ,......24 august 1974,.....carlisle 1 spurs 0,.......chris balderstone penalty,.....carlisle went top of the league,.......amazing all those years both of us at the same match,.....and now talking to each other over something called the internet,......so much has happened in both our lives /and the teams we support,.......was martin chivers /alan gilzean playing that game

malc ,.....local paper ,......24 august 1974,.....carlisle 1 spurs 0,.......chris balderstone penalty,.....carlisle went top of the league,.......amazing all those years both of us at the same match,.....and now talking to each other over something called the internet,......so much has happened in both our lives /and the teams we support,.......was martin chivers /alan gilzean playing that game
Loved football back then, used to get shoot every week
download.jpeg

@hector I love ye mate but I really hope ye full stop button breaks

Get some pictures up on here or it ”never happened”
It happened! Been a busy bee! Now I’ve got the mist coat on....I’ve impressed myself I’m not going to lie! Lol. Obviously there is some filling to do in places but that was expected, although so far not as much as I first thought! May be a different story when I’m up close filling. The next issue is I can’t finish skylight opening and reveals as out of plaster! And none in sight anywhere!

Attachments

• 6B9E77D5-DB8E-4253-AEBF-57E60E40534A.jpeg
    6B9E77D5-DB8E-4253-AEBF-57E60E40534A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 352
  • 661B780D-D2CA-407E-87F9-2B64BCEEDCDF.jpeg
    661B780D-D2CA-407E-87F9-2B64BCEEDCDF.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 279