Lining paper

Members online

megamix

Just priced up a job . Early 90s property, house was dabbed with finish (before board adhesive was on the market ) . Anyway it’s been taped and jointed and some plonker has lined the walls direct on top of bare plasterboard . I’ve told the customer I don’t think it will come off and if they use a steamer it will wreck the board . Has anyone skimmed over this I don’t want to risk it . I though about laminating a 9.5mm board over the lot using no nails or silicone .

Just priced up a job . Early 90s property, house was dabbed with finish (before board adhesive was on the market ) . Anyway it’s been taped and jointed and some plonker has lined the walls direct on top of bare plasterboard . I’ve told the customer I don’t think it will come off and if they use a steamer it will wreck the board . Has anyone skimmed over this I don’t want to risk it . I though about laminating a 9.5mm board over the lot using no nails or silicone .

Once stripped either overboard or a coat of bonding with render mesh bedded in 1st coat would work

I wouldn't risk skimming over that tbh .why on earth has it been dabbed with finish when they could of used bonding the lunatics

I wouldn't risk skimming over that tbh .why on earth has it been dabbed with finish when they could of used bonding the lunatics

How would you dab with bonding?

My first thought is that as finish would probably delaminate the paper, then perhaps it's a job for Bond-It - paper stays bonded to the wall, grit bonds to the paper and skim bonds to the grit.

Probably not an ideal solution but if it's mend and make do?

Last edited:
Not sure mate , I’ve come across a few like this . Spoke to an old boy who said that’s just what they used when dabbing first started . Things is this woman is being a tight arse . I’ve told her there is no way the paper is coming off as it’s bonded to the paper in the plaster board . But she’s having none of it so I said I won’t skim it . So I’ve left it with her .

Not sure mate , I’ve come across a few like this . Spoke to an old boy who said that’s just what they used when dabbing first started . Things is this woman is being a tight arse . I’ve told her there is no way the paper is coming off as it’s bonded to the paper in the plaster board . But she’s having none of it so I said I won’t skim it . So I’ve left it with her .

Dont do yourself out a job just give her what she wants with a written disclaimer!

My first thought is that as finish would probably delaminate the paper, then perhaps it's a job for Bond-It - paper stays bonded to the walk, grit bonds to the paper and skim bonds to the grit.

Know what your saying mate but I’ve got visions of it blebbing when troweling up .

Dont do yourself out a job just give her what she wants with a written disclaimer!
I think it will f**k up when troweling up . So I won’t get paid on the day . I reckon if it trowel up ok then there is a good chance it would stay on . But don’t want the risk

My first thought is that as finish would probably delaminate the paper, then perhaps it's a job for Bond-It - paper stays bonded to the walk, grit bonds to the paper and skim bonds to the grit.

bonding will stick board (y)

Did d&d in the late eighties and we used board finish, some jobs had s&c scratch coats applied before dabbing.

Give her day rate to srip. It. Scratch it up. Soak one wall. Hot soapy water .if it don't come off . Use water proof Pva . Make sure it's hard before skiming. Or give it a miss if you've got other work.

Board adhesives was being used in the early 80's and i am sure was first used late 70's (older members may clarify} . If the paper cant be removed then just fix 25mm batons and board , skim and sleep at nights.

Board adhesives was being used in the early 80's and i am sure was first used late 70's (older members may clarify} . If the paper cant be removed then just fix 25mm batons and board , skim and sleep at nights.
Yes there was board adhesive available when I started in 81. There was a Bovis site near where I lived back in the late 80's that was stuck with Bonding and Board Finish at the start and loads of it failed.

Yes there was board adhesive available when I started in 81. There was a Bovis site near where I lived back in the late 80's that was stuck with Bonding and Board Finish at the start and loads of it failed.
I started in 86 and the houses we were working on were all dabbed using it .It was grey a powder back then .

I started in 86 and the houses we were working on were all dabbed using it .It was grey a powder back then .
Two of my uncles went and did the BG drylining course not long before I started. Even after all these years I can still remember the grey gear still on that horrid BG plodger they'd used on the course.

Two of my uncles went and did the BG drylining course not long before I started. Even after all these years I can still remember the grey gear still on that horrid BG plodger they'd used on the course.
Yes trying to get it out of the bucket and onto the spot was a f**k**g messy pain. No scooping out of flexi tubs back then. :sisi: