Limecrete as Finished Floor?

Members online

Innocent.Smith

Hello, new to the forum and I have only seen Limecrete slabs on YouTube, so this may be a dumb question.

We are building a new home, constructed with old school triple-wythe brick walls. Architect and Engineer planned for us to have a poured concrete slab, by a coincidence we waited until the envelope masonry was complete to pour the concrete slab.

Now it comes to, we are hesitant to pour that slab. We have considered Earthen floor, but my wife wants a lighter, cream colored floor.

Limecrete seems like a great option, but have two questions.

1) all the previous engineering information I received says I should use the 15mil Stego underlayment and seal up all vapors from below, etc. will that drive moisture into our brick walls? Is it allowable within codes to not use a vapor barrier? We also painted vapor impermeable membrane on the footing below the base of the walls, so no water can seep upwards currently. We are also placing wing insulation to prevent water collecting around the 20ft perimeter of the house, which should keep the soil adjacent to the house dry in rains with poly wrap.

2) is Limecrete able to be polished like Concrete? Would such a floor be attractive and would “sealing” products for concrete that prevent staining also work for Limecrete?

Hello, new to the forum and I have only seen Limecrete slabs on YouTube, so this may be a dumb question.

We are building a new home, constructed with old school triple-wythe brick walls. Architect and Engineer planned for us to have a poured concrete slab, by a coincidence we waited until the envelope masonry was complete to pour the concrete slab.

Now it comes to, we are hesitant to pour that slab. We have considered Earthen floor, but my wife wants a lighter, cream colored floor.

Limecrete seems like a great option, but have two questions.

1) all the previous engineering information I received says I should use the 15mil Stego underlayment and seal up all vapors from below, etc. will that drive moisture into our brick walls? Is it allowable within codes to not use a vapor barrier? We also painted vapor impermeable membrane on the footing below the base of the walls, so no water can seep upwards currently. We are also placing wing insulation to prevent water collecting around the 20ft perimeter of the house, which should keep the soil adjacent to the house dry in rains with poly wrap.

2) is Limecrete able to be polished like Concrete? Would such a floor be attractive and would “sealing” products for concrete that prevent staining also work for Limecrete?
Yes

1674552076578.gif