Lime rendering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigsby

TPF Special Forces
I went to look at a building built in 1840 today. The guy wants the 70,s render removed and re-render in sand & lime. I can get putty lime locally and have a book on using lime in buildings (Building in Lime by Stafford Holmes).

The books states for plain render finish:

1st coat: 1.5 lime to 3-4 sand
2nd coat 1.5 Lime to 1.5-2 sand this is for using Hydraulic lime.

There is a similar common stucco render mix which is:

1st coat: 2 lime to 4-5 sand
2nd coat: 2 lime to 5 sand
3rd coat 1 lime to 3 sand.

Sand to be coarse washed getting finer towards the 2nd or 3rd coat and the use of hair on the backing coats and possibly in the top coat. Allow each coat to fully cure before the next coat is applied. Any reason why I cant use glass fibre strands instead of hair?

Anyone on here familiar with external lime renders? The job is to be started about May next year.

Last edited:
so the building is georgian. it must be listed. so make sure you stick to spec. brick built or timber frame? doing a timber frame at the moment, purchasing the materials from anglia lime of sudbury suffolk. they stock goats hair.

No it is not listed but it is of historic value so the Council says.

Found quite a few online Co,s that do ready mixed lime renders of various grades including Telling.

I have found this Company though that does a machine applied lime render with various finishes. I like the idea of a dedicated lime render supplier who can advise and spec.

http://www.limetechnology.co.uk/pdfs/Render_Brochure.pdf
http://www.limetechnology.co.uk/pdfs/Baumit_Renders_and_External_Finishes.pdf
Lime Technology - lime-based building products

lime technology stock baumit renders --- being german they will be fly through a machine but these products do contain cement (but not a lot)

also look here . --- mono st astier

lime technology stock baumit renders --- being german they will be fly through a machine but these products do contain cement (but not a lot)

also look here . --- mono st astier

thanks for the info. The customer likes the St Austier specs. Hope he goes for a pre bagged machine version rather than the 19th century spec.

Try Parex Rigsby. Have a look on their website. They do different types of lime renders for conservation type projects. All machine friendly.

Not sure how well it would work through a machine we are using Limetech Hydraulic at the moment and we have to leave it in the mixer for a good 10 minutes constantly adding water to get a useable mix not sure a spray machine could achieve this, would be interested to hear if anyone has done it.

Not sure how well it would work through a machine we are using Limetech Hydraulic at the moment and we have to leave it in the mixer for a good 10 minutes constantly adding water to get a useable mix not sure a spray machine could achieve this, would be interested to hear if anyone has done it.

Thats interesting? I think Simplybesty did some with a G5 but it was in thin layers.

Unless I can get full factory back up I will give it a miss.

Perhaps this thread should be moved to the machine section Mods, might get more response.

Status
Not open for further replies.