Lime render over a damp wall?

Members online

MikePlas

Hi guys, got an external stone wall that is damp, (inside coming out) that a customer wants hydraulic lime rendering. Done it many time before but not over a damp wall. Will the lime render control the damp? Thanks in advance!

Haha I know it's a funny one this. The wall is adjacent to the back yard of my customer who is building an extension near to this wall. He wants the damp.controlled before his walls go up and there is no more access to it

Haha I know it's a funny one this. The wall is adjacent to the back yard of my customer who is building an extension near to this wall. He wants the damp.controlled before his walls go up and there is no more access to it
Do something at the top to stop it, any pics?

This is it, she's a bad one
20160913_141837.jpg
20160913_141847.jpg

2 different ones. I'm happy to cover it aseems long as I know that the lime will control the damp. If not I'm gonna recommend sbr render on it

f**k**g hell, donate some guttering to them as well mate, that could be one of the problems there

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2 different ones. I'm happy to cover it aseems long as I know that the lime will control the damp. If not I'm gonna recommend sbr render on it
The problem is gonna be the roof and the void, maybe even look at some kind of drainage like a French drain.

Already told them they need to address the moisture. I think I'm gonna give the lime a miss and recommend sand / cement. I know it's gonna go off then. Too much risk putting 300 quids worth of lme on there I think!
Cement render with SBR I reckon?

Looks like your guys wall is gonna cover the other fellas window? Didn't think you'd be able to get away with that. No gutters is a problem that will return. With a clos gap like that nobody will be able to access either wall should something fail. ☹️☹️

The customer is going to install a valley above the new cavity, and also vent it. Seems a bit risky though. How often do customers say one thing and do another! The only reason I'm considering doing it is the guy is offering top dollar. Never experienced damp coming from in to out before! Had an email from a lime expert who says do NOT use lime

The customer is going to install a valley above the new cavity, and also vent it. Seems a bit risky though. How often do customers say one thing and do another! The only reason I'm considering doing it is the guy is offering top dollar. Never experienced damp coming from in to out before! Had an email from a lime expert who says do NOT use lime

You'll never get damp from the inside out.
It's either from above as already mentioned or its from ground up!

I'd put the valley so it's over the cavity and vented somewhere or its gonna get trapped and get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll never get damp from the inside out.
It's either from above as already mentioned or its from ground up!

I'd put the valley so it's over the cavity and vented somewhere or its gonna get trapped and get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, jgreenplastering usually it's from either up or down........unless.....the neighbour has a leaky indoor pool in that room!!!! haha

Raked the coarses back and exposed a lot of the wall now, the original lime mortar is intact so going to leave as is ( point a few gaps here and there ) so the wall can breathe. A gully and vents are going to be installed above as per the technical drawings too. Many thanks for the comments guY's! Looking forward to being involved in future discussions :)

The people next door gave permission to cover the windows. .. strange!

I agree, strange solution in my view...Bauwer Light & Finish & Masonry paint + proper guttering should be much cheaper solution, including thermal insulation and a good breathability