lime render help wanted please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all

Whent to few a house the other day 200 years old and the front has been done in s&c render and has cracked every where there is also damp on the same wall on the inside of the house,so the lad wants lime render back on the front, now i know i will have to strip the render back to brick and make good the pointing with lime but will buting lime back on stop the damp ??? i now if you cover lime with s&c it can cause damp so it makes sence to remove and replace with lime may stop the damp what do you think.

Hi thanks for that getting it all per mix so should hav no problems i hope ;D by the way lads do you throw the dubing out coat or trowel it on i still throw it at the wall seams to key better :D but my teacher was a great old boy and thats the way he did it so thats the way i do it do you think it makes a difrence thanks for the help again

im doing a 3 coat job at the moment on coral block and we are troweling it on as we get more adhesion and can force it into the voids and i would do this on most solid substrates as it gets the first coat reasonably level... however if your using on cob etc i would chuck the sod on... Some pictures of the job im doing at the minute here http://www.limerender.com click on latest job link

could you use a tyrolean gun and project it on for a better initial bond.....one of the green ones?

hi all

Thanks for the help job starting next week so realy dont know what state the walls are in but i think i will hav a lot of making good as the s&c has been put on top of the lime so the morter will be shot i dont think it maks mutch of a diverence if you trowl or throw it on as long as its tight and stays on ;D thanks again

Hi all

just got price for pre mix lime render and its alot :mad: so going to go woth NHL and sharp sand just need to know what mix would be right its for lime render scratch and top coat was told 5/1 dos that sound right many thanks ;D and what would be the right paint to use on it as the house is yellow at the min but thats on S&C cheers

ive never been able to mix it any good ,always ended up with a couple of shovels of hydrated lime in it

mshawplastering said:
Hi all

just got price for pre mix lime render and its alot :mad: so going to go woth NHL and sharp sand just need to know what mix would be right its for lime render scratch and top coat was told 5/1 dos that sound right many thanks ;D and what would be the right paint to use on it as the house is yellow at the min but thats on S&C cheers

What do you call expensive??? i get it pre mixed just add water for £10.00 per 25KG does 1.36 m2 at 10mm

Hi mate

I was priced just for the front from eco merchant wait for it £1989.00 ready mix to cover 7m by 7m and that was scratch and two top coats hav no idea what it was all i asked for was ready mix lime render but for that price i would want them to do the job as well ;D so render where do you get yours from at 10.00 a bag and thanks for the email by the way the picks are good on the site would not mind being out there doing that job in the sun :D

Wow thats nearly £40.50 per m2 just for material per m2 for 49 m2 you should need 72 bags af base coat thats enough to give you 2 x 10mm scratch coats and 30-36 bags of top coat this works out about a grand cheaper for materials ex delivery

msshawplastering

that doesn't sound right to me 49sqm total 2 coats you would for 2 backing coats need only 2x 1 ton bags of premixed non hydraulic lime---approx 175-200 per bag (depending on supplier)

1 ton of the premix will cover approx 50m at 10mm-12mm

or nhl 3.5----mix backing coats about 3 : 1 ---nice washed ---plastering sand

finish coat little stronger at approx 2.5:1

the amount of material will depend on thickness and background

choices of paint are:

lime wash ----most of the premixed lime suppliers sell this as well---i pay 40.00 for 25 litres

pigments extra

lime paint --- we use st astier lime paint ---there is a mark on the plastic bucket to fill water level to

Earthborn Silicate Masonry Paint

all these paints will breath and not trap moisture in your new lime render

hope this helps--if you need any further help email me

www.emjenkins.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.