Lime pointing

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

Yeah, it's nice work, going well, everyone's in a good mood and the customer's spot on. Every time the committee chairman comes over he asks if I want money! Which makes a nice change from the w4nkers you ave to keep reminding. They were having Grannygasms when they saw 'Lee's heritage lime plastering' I thought maybe you'd made the trip down to offer guidance. :X3:

I could actually smell those gasms..

Been a long time since @Nisus has heard noises like that from a lady

sorry for that the answer to question is lime needs pozones to create a set which means working to clean goes against that
Creating a quick set relying on the pozolans in the sand is a bit over ambitious tbh. But for sure you will end up with disaster if your sand isn’t not clean. The best pozolan set the alumina and silica in the sand will do is very low mild set and this amount is found only in argelacious sands. I might be wrong after all?

Creating a quick set relying on the pozolans in the sand is a bit over ambitious tbh. But for sure you will end up with disaster if your sand isn’t not clean. The best pozolan set the alumina and silica in the sand will do is very low mild set and this amount is found only in argelacious sands. I might be wrong after all?
you wont get a quick set with any lime work

You rub it or you compress it?

Pack it in, compress it, and move on. Then go back and cut off any bits that are in the dimples of the bricks etc when it's starting to go. Then on this one when it's green-ish rub over it with the wire brush to expose some of the aggregate and brush it all down with a fairly soft hand brush.

Gets it to the look the conservation officer wants to match in with the surrounding outbuildings and back wall.

All of which exactly illustrates you're point in another thread, and explains why I chose to use pre-mixed bagged mortar.

I don't have to concern myself with sand types/colours, aggregates or ratios. It's all done in huge quantities by a company that does nothing else, and because it's a putty mix I don't even have to gauge the amount of water. Open bag, knock up, use. (y)

All of which exactly illustrates you're point in another thread, and explains why I chose to use pre-mixed bagged mortar.

I don't have to concern myself with sand types/colours, aggregates or ratios. It's all done in huge quantities by a company that does nothing else, and because it's a putty mix I don't even have to gauge the amount of water. Open bag, knock up, use. (y)
Its a lot going on when you do your own mix and the quality of sand is as much important as the lime, if not greater. Credible Lime suplyer will have the best for the job .

Pack it in, compress it, and move on. Then go back and cut off any bits that are in the dimples of the bricks etc when it's starting to go. Then on this one when it's green-ish rub over it with the wire brush to expose some of the aggregate and brush it all down with a fairly soft hand brush.

Gets it to the look the conservation officer wants to match in with the surrounding outbuildings and back wall.
Pack it in, compress it with whatever tool you are using . Make sure is a bit more than you need. When starting to go off take heavy brush and start taping on it . It will compress the pointing further and the excess pointing will fall off.Best brush for the job- refina. Done At the right time there is very little left over the bricks after . And prepping the the bricks is as important as the pointing. That’s what I do btw.

Just learning the art of tuck pointing it ain’t easy ! Any thoughts?

It's years since I last did any, people don't seem to want to pay for it as it's expensive when compared to weather struck of bucket handle. Shame, as when it's done properly it looks fantastic.

I am not convinced on the practicality side of it, personally

It was a cost saving method originally as it's much cheaper to tuck point frontages rather than build using thin joints and gauged bricks.

Even the Edwardian and Victorian developers were looking to save a few bob. :envidioso

It's years since I last did any, people don't seem to want to pay for it as it's expensive when compared to weather struck of bucket handle. Shame, as when it's done properly it looks fantastic.
I’ve done a descent enough job of it but it’s time consuming and you could pick faults at it .

No you are right! My point is I’ll chose clean sand every time . Even clean or washed sand still contains pozzolans , but sand with mud , not clay is a no no for me.
You can add pozzolans, that make it set quick
Enough, I use the slag from industrial coal burners

You can add pozzolans, that make it set quick
Enough, I use the slag from industrial coal burners
Yes you can add pozzolans and it's what we do instead of relying on the insignificant amount in the sand, which actually is in/on the grains and hardly can be removed by washing it. Detail I wanted to spare .