LIME PLASTERING

Members online

I've been plastering for over forty years and haven't done much lime plastering for years im on a job at the moment which has old lime plastered walls .The surface needs smoothing out ready for decorating so can I just skim over the surface using a lime mix and what can I use to stop the suction of the old walls cracking the lime coat up. What powdered lime do I need and what mix ratio and the type of sand needed thanks

<===edited by Danny :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wet walls down day before then 2/3 times on the morning. Use your own judgment to decide if the suction is right.
Use nhl 3.5 mix with silica sand at 1/1
2 coats nice and thin flatten then rub up with a cross grain wooden float

Wet walls down day before then 2/3 times on the morning. Use your own judgment to decide if the suction is right.

You can use ecomortar R50 it's like a onecoat but lime. You can finish it same day or coat it one day to control the suction then skim coat it next day. It's good gear for reskimming old lime walls

THANKS FOR THAT IS THE LIME NATURAL HYDRAULIC LIME BY BLUECIRCLE 3.5 AND CAN I USE JUST NORMAL KILN DRIED SAND AND ONCE RUBBED UP CAN IT HAVE A SMOOTH TROWELED FINISH

Use a stabiliser like DG27,roll it on day before I’d use a putty based mortar for interior work. You can buy it in buckets about £10 a tub. Depends whether you want to trowel it smooth or float finish. Needs to be lime rich if you want to trowel it up. I’ve used Hydrated lime before and made my own, mix it up and let it slake for 48hrs and add kiln dried sand, when your ready for plastering, 1:1 for a troweled finish or 2:1 for a float finish.

Good tip that ,is silica same as kiln dry

Use a stabiliser like DG27,roll it on day before I’d use a putty based mortar for interior work. You can buy it in buckets about £10 a tub. Depends whether you want to trowel it smooth or float finish. Needs to be lime rich if you want to trowel it up. I’ve used Hydrated lime before and made my own, mix it up and let it slake for 48hrs and add kiln dried sand, when your ready for plastering, 1:1 for a troweled finish or 2:1 for a float finish.
@The Hobo eh bud have u ever tried above as a top coat?
NHL 3.5 can be a bit of challenged to control for a finish coat

We mostly use putty limes for internal work and NHL for outside..

NHL 2 is better for internal finish rather than 3.5 if your going the NHL route but more difficult to find a supplier.....

Most builders merchants just sell the 3.5 if at all

We mostly use putty limes for internal work and NHL for outside..

NHL 2 is better for internal finish rather than 3.5 if your going the NHL route but more difficult to find a supplier.....

Most builders merchants just sell the 3.5 if at all
Yeh that’s all u can get I can cope with 3.5 on the initial coats and yeh I’ve used nhl2 b4 but as u say u need a good order to make use of the pallet price