LIME PLASTER NOT ADHERING?

Members online

Ben Shugar

Hi there

I’ve been in construction trade for 21 years & plastering for the majority of it. I’ve used lime products on a listed building as advised. I’ve lime rendered a wall, I’ve left it for a week to dry, then used lime skim & adhered & dried well.

The customer decided they wanted another wall plastered which was lathe & plaster (lime products all ready the existing wall consisted of). The lime supplier sold me a stabiliser, (something similar to plasterers stabiliser AKA as green grit. I left it to adhere, dried out thoroughly. Plastered the wall using lime skim, not the best finish, it will be suffice given the character of the property. Anyone else had this problem? I know lime takes a lot longer to dry & you can activate it again the next day, in general it’s not efficient. Also, are you able to sand lime skim once dried throughly?

Hi there

I’ve been in construction trade for 21 years & plastering for the majority of it. I’ve used lime products on a listed building as advised. I’ve lime rendered a wall, I’ve left it for a week to dry, then used lime skim & adhered & dried well.

The customer decided they wanted another wall plastered which was lathe & plaster (lime products all ready the existing wall consisted of). The lime supplier sold me a stabiliser, (something similar to plasterers stabiliser AKA as green grit. I left it to adhere, dried out thoroughly. Plastered the wall using lime skim, not the best finish, it will be suffice given the character of the property. Anyone else had this problem? I know lime takes a lot longer to dry & you can activate it again the next day, in general it’s not efficient. Also, are you able to sand lime skim once dried throughly?

Any views or opinions on my question?

When you say lime not adhering is this over a PVA/grit type product....
It does quite often go into a second day drying wise..

No you can't sand it ...

No you can't sand it ...

No you can't sand it ...

The product I was sold is called AURO Grip coat. It’s white, was advised to apply it, let it adhere for 8 hours minimum which I did. Put 2 gauging trowels of NHL lime in the 1st coat of lime skim & 1 in the 2nd. Applied the lime skim in 2 separate coats, on the 2nd coat I applied I’d say about 1 o’clock. Went over it with a trowel took the thickest lines out of it. Came back at 5 o’clock, hardly any difference. Not an efficient product for myself. I went back the next day, it’s ok, the property has a lot of character already.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I think it wouldn’t been better to use UNIBOND mixed with sand & obviously water mixed with it.

The finish will be ok, I will have to return to the job once it’s dry & make any finishes touches that are necessary.

The product I was sold is called AURO Grip coat. It’s white, was advised to apply it, let it adhere for 8 hours minimum which I did. Put 2 gauging trowels of NHL lime in the 1st coat of lime skim & 1 in the 2nd. Applied the lime skim in 2 separate coats, on the 2nd coat I applied I’d say about 1 o’clock. Went over it with a trowel took the thickest lines out of it. Came back at 5 o’clock, hardly any difference. Not an efficient product for myself. I went back the next day, it’s ok, the property has a lot of character already.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I think it wouldn’t been better to use UNIBOND mixed with sand & obviously water mixed with it.

The finish will be ok, I will have to return to the job once it’s dry & make any finishes touches that are necessary.
your making out its not stuck but yet you say it will do im lost

How thick did you apply it.....

Using a grit product will increase the drying time but we dry to apply finish first thing in the morning so we have all day for it to start pulling in.

your making out its not stuck but yet you say it will do im lost
The Auro grip has adhered, like green or blue grit. It was applied by 1 o’clock in the afternoon, the majority it was all but hard by 8pm, suffice for the character of the property, in some areas it hadn’t. I’ve been back there this afternoon & I managed to finish it. The walls that had lime render applied, finished in efficient time.

The principle of my question is, has anybody use used this auro grip?

F1BF03FB-7355-4B07-9DDC-28D629EB6807.jpeg

This is what I was sold & advised to use by the supplier & given instructions how to use.

The job is all but finished now & under control, like I said I’m just curious if anyone else has used this product, that’s all. Thanks for your views

The Auro grip has adhered, like green or blue grit. It was applied by 1 o’clock in the afternoon, the majority it was all but hard by 8pm, suffice for the character of the property, in some areas it hadn’t. I’ve been back there this afternoon & I managed to finish it. The walls that had lime render applied, finished in efficient time.

never used it im traditional old school for me sand lime plenty hair in it to bind it together

You’ve killed the suction, bad move , you need suction on lime to get a finish

h
Hi there

lime products all ready and existing wall consisted of....

so its already been plastered ??

Hi there

Re read this , I had same problem on a job in Kensington last year. Go over it in the lime sand finish , let it dry , then go over in what the supplier called it’s ‘heritage ‘lime finish , this was more smoother , near enough a lime putty

This is what I was sold & advised to use by the supplier & given instructions how to use.

The job is all but finished now & under control, like I said I’m just curious if anyone else has used this product, that’s all. Thanks for your views
Never used the stuff I’m same as Stormin or @The Hobo as you may recognise him float out with lime putty and sharp with hair over lath and top off with lime putty and playpit sand