Lime or S&C

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
Does anyone have any idea of when lime mortar was possibly replaced by s&c for laying / pointing bricks ?

Would a property of 1840 have been built with Lime mortar ?

Cheers

I thought most of the London underground used portland cement back in the day :RpS_unsure:

Generally cement wasn't used on a large scale until after World War 2 (1945) when there was a massive demand for housing and rebuilding the nations' infrastructure, due to it's much faster setting properties as opposed to lime :RpS_thumbup:

Went to quote a house 2 nights ago, it was built in 1840 the bloke paints the brickwork every two years and the paint keeps flaking, its solid construction and is also damp inside. He asked me out cos he wants it rendering.

The logistics of the job are a nitemare, theres no parking so scaff / mixer / tools etc need to be hand-balled round from a nearby street, The garden is tiny as the property is on a main road through a town, so the tower will have to sit half on the pavement, also the only place to mix is out on the pavement also. The property has lots of decorative moldings and features that would be lost if rendered ruining its period features.

The guy has had 2 quotes, the first lad that came out said he would mesh it and render with S&C ! The second lad that came out said he would get all the paint off and render with S&C and quoted the customer £1k all in, which for me is not enough for the hassle involved, so ive politely told him i wont be quoting.

I think rendering it will ruin the properties character, and surely if it was rendered it should be done in lime ?!!
If it were mine id have the paint blasted off re-point with lime mortar, so it was left as original and also maintenance free.
If it should be done in Lime then two blokes have already said they're happy to S&C it and take his money, also a damp firm came out 2 years ago and said they could spray the outside of the building to seal it, surely this would just create problems as well.

1840 is late georgian , this should be a listed property! the owner should check before he starts any alterations.

Walk away mate with head held up , as you say, it would not look right for the building anyway :RpS_thumbup: and i think your right by what you have said

Be nice John , you have to live with them :RpS_scared:
Oh, I travel the tube with all the rats as well, its madness, everyone's scurrying through tunnels, focused on their journey and getting on a tube, its surreal. Glad I rarely do it.

Went to quote a house 2 nights ago, it was built in 1840 the bloke paints the brickwork every two years and the paint keeps flaking, its solid construction and is also damp inside. He asked me out cos he wants it rendering.

The logistics of the job are a nitemare, theres no parking so scaff / mixer / tools etc need to be hand-balled round from a nearby street, The garden is tiny as the property is on a main road through a town, so the tower will have to sit half on the pavement, also the only place to mix is out on the pavement also. The property has lots of decorative moldings and features that would be lost if rendered ruining its period features.

The guy has had 2 quotes, the first lad that came out said he would mesh it and render with S&C ! The second lad that came out said he would get all the paint off and render with S&C and quoted the customer £1k all in, which for me is not enough for the hassle involved, so ive politely told him i wont be quoting.

I think rendering it will ruin the properties character, and surely if it was rendered it should be done in lime ?!!
If it were mine id have the paint blasted off re-point with lime mortar, so it was left as original and also maintenance free.
If it should be done in Lime then two blokes have already said they're happy to S&C it and take his money, also a damp firm came out 2 years ago and said they could spray the outside of the building to seal it, surely this would just create problems as well.

The moisture created internally cant escape because of the paint, and is probably the cause of the paint failing.............. unless he's got rid of the lime plaster internally, in which case you can completely disregard what I've just said :RpS_unsure:
It should be a lime system throughout though:RpS_thumbup:

Airborne , sounds like he has been getting bad advice from others,
A building like that needs to breathe
Even constant painting is sealing it,
Your idea to take off paint and repoint is the way forward IMO

The guy will be asking you back in a few years time to hack off the SandC and replace it with LIme as the damp will just get worse if he encases it in the hard stuff.

The Portland cement invented in the early 1800's bears very little resemblance to the OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement) available today. The only similarity is the name, Chemically they are miles apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.