Learning the trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jk16lufc

I'm currently on my first year plastering apprenticeship, just wondering how long it would take to learn the trade to a standard where I can do the job on my own etc, im at the stage where skimming isnt a problem just not too good at the boarding lol any replies will be appreciated.

Kin years . There is much to learn and skimming is just the tip of a very big iceberg. Don't try and run before you can walk , keep your head down and listen to your peers. Show you are keen to learn and be respectful to those that are teaching you and the rest will follow.Good luck and welcome to a world of knowledge and experience so stay tuned.

What's with the swearing? I'm asking a genuine question, sorry I'm not a 'super spread' like yourself spunky, isn't this forum for asking things, cheers beader appreciate it

What's with the swearing? I'm asking a genuine question, sorry I'm not a 'super spread' like yourself spunky, isn't this forum for asking things, cheers beader appreciate it
Don't take any notice of Spunky. You cannot really put a time on learning this trade. I was taught by an old timer that knew almost everything but nobody does know everything. New products come out (that's my downfall) and you have to learn how to use them as well. After about five years of working with a good all round spread you should have a good knowledge but don't be in a hurry to get out there on your own. It is a hard bloody graft to earn a living at the moment. If you are making a decent wage at the moment then stay put and learn your trade. Good luck. :RpS_thumbup:

Yep as captain caveman said, get in with working alongside someone who s been in the game years who does a good variety of work. Listen and learn. Theres a million and one apprentices out there now on courses all 'achieving' nvq2. Frankly the vast majority of them i wouldnt allow them to mix for me let alone put a trowel in their hand, theyre that incapable. So by sticking with it and learning from a good well experienced guy you should be quids in in years to come. Its constant learning too with new products as someone mentioned here. Welcome to the trade and good luck :)

Cheers lads really appreciate people like you's, best place to ask on here so why not lol, nice one. cheers for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.