Lathe and plaster ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobspread

Quick note to myself never take down a lathe and plaster ceiling no matter how much they wanna pay you... me missus had to hose me down before she'd let me in the house!:RpS_scared:

Welcome to the world of plastering mate, used to do lots of work on schools, 80m ceilings and we had to pull them down. Worst one I ever had had 4' of soot and crap on top of it, often stood there for 20 minutes and still couldn't see my hand in front of my face. 1St one I ever did old spread told me to bring a scarf to cover my nose and mouth when we pulled it down, sometimes you've got to love h&s, not often mind

I've done a few over the years and i always say never again, the one i done today was supposed to ripped down but when i got there this morning they hadn't took the corners down or denailed it so i had to do it meself .

no matter how well you cover yourself up, it still gets in, blow your nose its black,have a good spit its black, done so may over the years, and no matter what you tell people and try and warn them give them some idea of what its like they still have no idea,..... I was on a job few years ago and the ceiling downstairs had to come down, the customer was a right clever/know all , probably an engineer/teacher/fireman type,he offered to knock it down and reboard it all to save some money and asked me if it would be okay, I said go for it lad knock yourself out,..... so because of his attitude I deliberately held back on the scaffold, so he pulled it all down and reboarded using a pair of steps, so when I came back a few days later to be fair he had done it and had made a decent job, but he was knackered/exhausted and did nothing but complain for next few days about how dirty it was.

it must be the last resort to remove a plaster lath ceiling. if it is just an area that has failed, remove that area, board the joists, then over board the complete ceiling.
if it has to come down, go up in the loft, a good hosing and kick it down from above, dont stand under it !

i did one years ago opened windows sealed room went in loft kicked it down next thing i new fire brigade turned up someone rang them thought the house was on fire avoid them at all costs now i over board or try to talk them in to it at all costs

The last few I've, well me and a labourer, taken down for the plasterer as apparently "smashing sh1t up is a builder's job". :RpS_sneaky: I have found a way to minimise the mess and hassle of dust. Smack a row of holes between the joists down each side of the room, then the same in the middle. Shove the vac pipe through each hole and hoover up the half ton of cr4p from each one. I use the Karcher without a bag in as it's quicker to empty and doesn't cost. It takes about an hour for an average sized room, but it's well worth it. If it's a first floor ceiling and you have access to the loft just take the vac up there.

Obviously there's still some dust, but it's not that bad and you don't need to dress up like an Ebola nurse to cope with it.

ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1414957375.563350.jpg
These two beauties fell down on me last year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.