lath and plaster ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterroberts

doing a job at the moment where the customer has lath ceilings that are for want of a better word fcuked loads of movement, cracks etc, i have told her that really needs ripping down and boarding over, but she insisting on just repairing, was thinking scratch out the cracks remove the loose gear etc rebond the gaps etc scrim up the cracks and then overskim anyone any better solutions besides ripping the whole thing down?

give him a price for wot u just said and a price for rippnig it down and skimming im betting there wont b much diff.

done that suggested overboard and the ripping down still insist that they wanna keep the ceiling as is , i have warned them that it will crack again etc and they just want it doing as is, I think that the difference for ripping down was £60 to what they paying now, just cant understand why, but will do what they want as long as they dont come back complaining

As long as youve explained the pitfalls, you've gave them advice and they dint want to take it on board, then should it go tits up you've covered your arse, nowt more you can do mate:RpS_thumbup: but for an extra 60 quid you would have thought they would have taken the guaranteed solution??:rolleyes)

could you not bed mesh in the roughin coat to try and cover the entire ceilin then just second coat as normal

I would say ,i can do as you want, but when it falls down ,it got nothing to do with me ,you know as well as all plasterers when an old lath ceiling had its day you would be a fool to patch it up ,if it was me i would walk ,best of luck

I would say ,i can do as you want, but when it falls down ,it got nothing to do with me ,you know as well as all plasterers when an old lath ceiling had its day you would be a fool to patch it up ,if it was me i would walk ,best of luck
nobody gets monay for walking. stick a few screws into the loose plaster tape pva and skim get yer monay then walk

price in for scaff boards acros and sheets of osb acro the ceilin up with the sheets of osb the price in the go above and recast the ceilin, then price to bed sheets of skrim in the roughin coat with fibres and finish as normal, then watch then shite them selves when they see how much a ceilin will cost but make sure underneith you have the price to rip it down or over board it so they can see the difference:RpS_thumbup:

have been considering the overboard option , and just absorb the cost, but why should i be out of pocket, its only gonna take 6 boards, just cant make head nor tail as to why they want it doing the way the say

The problem you've got is that they will get someone to just skim it anyway. So if you need the job do as they say, but if you can afford to refuse their method, do it. Overboarding is king and I do it on 90% of ceilings not just lath but 80s built houses with 9mm board. I find a lot of them have bowed and they can be a nightmare to skim. Taking a lot of extra plaster to cover. Add your time waiting on pva and you could've boarded them.

What's all the agg over this ceiling? . They have asked you as a plasterer to sort out the job ,tell them how the job should be done and if they don't like it then tell them to ask someone else.Why should you lower your standards on the say'so of someone who has no idea and is just looking for the cheapest price . Its your name a reputation at the end of the day and as the saying goes your only as good as your last job. Man up and be professional there are to many in this game who do not give a **** and this is having a big effect on the trade and other peoples attitude towards it .Don't be part off the problem . STANDARDS PLEASE.:RpS_mad: Rant over.

champagne ideas and lemonade money.................its the phrase of the future......
copyright by artisan998

Status
Not open for further replies.