Lath and plaster ceiling advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkhead

I've just started work on my dining room. I stripped the artex off the ceiling which is now bare plaster - lath and plaster so it's a bit cracked and dusty. However it appears to be still even and strong.

My plans is to PVA the ceiling a couple of times and 2 coats of plaster - multi.

Question is, is this the best thing to do? What mix of PVA do I need? should I leave it to dry overnight and then PVA just before I plaster.
Do i need to use some other Thistle products like Thistle GypPrime
I'm predicting alot of suction from the ceiling.

The walls are in good condition but when I took the wall paper off there was alot of old paint which is a bugger to get off.
Should i just PVA over that then plaster- if so what PVA mixture should I use.

I would prefer not to plasterboard it as i'd have to find where the joists are etc and i really want to rip it all down and plasterboard it.

Also I'm putting some insulated plasterboard (Gyproc ThermaLine PLUS -35mm-) on the internal/external walls. What should I use to fix it to the wall?
Expanding adhesive foam or dot and dab plasterboard adhesive? I think the solvent in the expanding adhesive foam might eat into the insulating on the back of the insulated plasterboard.

Lots of advice please.

Thanks in advance
Hawkhead
The Novice Plasterer!:huh:

In an Old house I wouldn't take the chance of just plastering straight over the ceiling especially when its your own, different if someone asks you to do it. I would over board the ceiling and then skim and that way you don't have to worry about the ceiling falling down around you at a later date. Screwing the boards direct to the ceiling is ok on an old house they tend to be 16" apart and you can pop a chalk line over them so you know where they are but the far superior job is resiliant bar and screw the new boards to that.

If your putting boards to the walls you would be best using the correct bonding to dab the boards on as expanding foam will do exactly what it says and there is no way you would be able to get the walls straight

Status
Not open for further replies.