Lath and plaster ceiling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

WOOLLSY

Hi I have a lath and plaster ceiling (artexed) that I was going to pva then skim . It curves down to meet the wall at one end. So it would be tricky to overboard. This curved part had cracks in it which became quite big when i scraped away the loose plaster. There are also hairline cracks on the flat ceiling.

Would I get away with taping the hairline cracks and using bonding plaster to repair the bad plaster I scraped away. Then doing a full skim.

I dont mind boarding over but when doing the same on a wall I found it tricky to screw into the joists without hitting the lath nails. And am not sure about the best way to tackle the curve.

Any advice/ideas appreciated

it realy depends on the old lath ceiling.if its blown then overboard.but if its just hairline cracks.cut the cracks open with stanly knife.skrim the cracks.then plaster with bonding two cover artex.and skim.is there any movement in the ceiling.it sounds like a coom ceiling.curved.

there is a little movement (1 or 2 mm maybe) in and around cracked areas . i did open up one of the hairline cracks and it went through to the lath( (is now .5cm wide ). not sure if the plaster is blown . the bigger cracks needed digging out to between 1 and 2 cm wide until the plaster stopped being crumbly.

doh! ok, cheers

not sure how to tackle the curved edge.. am thinking i might have to make it a 45 degree angle instead

i would overboard the flat ceiling,
you could e m lath the coved area . then bond out to plasterboard.
as the ceiling is wood lath it has had lime wash at some time therefore plaster will not key

Use glassroc board for the curve... It bends :)
that board is a new one on me,sounds good.what thickness is it?personally i would pull the whole lot down and re-board,add the 45degree with board then form the curve with bonding before skimming the lot.

that board is a new one on me,sounds good.what thickness is it?personally i would pull the whole lot down and re-board,add the 45degree with board then form the curve with bonding before skimming the lot.
Its wafer thin, av not used it just seen it

overboard the flat to the start of the curve then strip out the tight part of the curve with 3 inch strips then cover the remaining ceiling with required sized board skrim and skim this is for a ceiling roof spars form part of ceiling construction ie 1930s semi bedroom ceiling also i used to cut off board overhangs back to nearest joist but now I just put full board up and screw to every joist and where there is an overhang i slowly screw through the end of the board into the lats. the bigest overhang you could have would be 15 inch but this would be skrimed to the next board and also screwed to lats ive been doing this for about 4 yrs now with no problems

take down the lath n plaster get covered in mouse nests dust rat droppings etc spend hours cleaning up re-board the main ceiling form a 45 degree with boards tape the angle then re skim and make sure you put plenty of gear in the angle on your first coat to form curve long winded but at least it will be a proper job.

the clean up wont take that long really,the upstairs ones are the worst especially on main roads.the soot really hits the back of your throat.if its upstairs as well,get up in the loft and gently stamp it through:RpS_wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.