Lath and Plaster ceiling advice/insulated plasterboad advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkhead

I've just started work on my dining room. I stripped the artex off the ceiling which is now bare plaster - lath and plaster so it's a bit cracked and dusty. However it appears to be still even and strong.

My plans is to PVA the ceiling a couple of times and 2 coats of plaster - multi.

Question is, is this the best thing to do? What mix of PVA do I need? should I leave it to dry overnight and then PVA just before I plaster.
Do i need to use some other Thistle products like Thistle GypPrime
I'm predicting alot of suction from the ceiling.

The walls are in good condition but when I took the wall paper off there was alot of old paint which is a bugger to get off.
Should i just PVA over that then plaster- if so what PVA mixture should I use.

I would prefer not to plasterboard it as i'd have to find where the joists are etc and i really want to rip it all down and plasterboard it.

Also I'm putting some insulated plasterboard (Gyproc ThermaLine PLUS -35mm-) on the internal/external walls. What should I use to fix it to the wall?
Adhesive foam or dot and dab plasterboard adhesive? I think the solvent in the expanding adhesive foam might eat into the insulating on the back of the insulated plasterboard.

Lots of advice please.

Thanks in advance
Hawkhead
The Novice Plasterer!:huh:

I would plasprime ceiling this is good for sealing hairline cracks. You can pva over paint and skim myself I would artex sealer then pva and skim, I know it may seem a bit off a hassle but thats just the way I am.
:RpS_thumbup:

i would overboard ceiling as it is plaster lath it has been limewashed so plaster will not key. to pva and skim would be to risky and a waste of your time.

couple of coats of pva any mix ya want, but not too runny! youll wish you had mixed it thicker when it starts running down ya arm anyway lol, pointless using other products if ya gonna pva over the top... imo
you seem to be taking alot on considering youve not done it before mate

malc how do you know its been limewashed?

If it wasn't for the fact that he said he didn't want to pull it down.i would have said pull it down straightaway.thats what I would do,not fcuk about with risking it.otherwise pva all the way,we know skimmers are all G**:RpS_biggrin:

Counter batten it with 2 x 1. Plasterboard and then you are left with a skimming job rather than stretching what you state as being your novice skills. This improves the thermal and sound proofing qualities of the ceiling. No muck either and the old stuff is held in place.

the best ,quickest,less hassle,peaceof mind way,is to simply overboard and skim,no worries no concerns.

P.s finding the joists is easy, take a hammer n knock a few small holes about 50mm away from the wall. Stick your finger in and feel around once you find one measure 400mm from the centre and knock another hole a little to the side if there's another joist you know the joists are at 400mm centres mark that out on the wall all the way across and you know where to fix the boards. I use a chalk line so I don't end up with boards full of holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.