Labourers Rates

Who floats houses in sand and cement now? As in a long run of work? How does a gang keep a labourer on at £170 a day floating houses in s&c? Just curious

a large essex developer still has the houses float and set with sand and cement. they call it traditional build, i call it a 60s build.
on the floating the lab. is busy all the time, on the set when he has less work load he then does the insulation to the floors and between the joists on the 3rd floor. or load out the plasterboard on the next property. he works hard not just standing around on his phone all day.

This is the way forward and the model we have moved to and it's working well.

when i work with my youngest son he is 47 now. we have our own jobs,
i cut the plasterboard he sticks,
i float he mixes and rubs up. i mix the finish up he skims then i join in.
i screed the floors he mixes.
i apply the butter coat he applies the dash,
i apply the acrylic he mixes it and does the texture.

a large essex developer still has the houses float and set with sand and cement. they call it traditional build, i call it a 60s build.
on the floating the lab. is busy all the time, on the set when he has less work load he then does the insulation to the floors and between the joists on the 3rd floor. or load out the plasterboard on the next property. he works hard not just standing around on his phone all day.
Malc I did all that developers work for about eighteen years.
Apparently the last large sand and cement job in the UK.
They were the best firm to work for bar none IMO. Such a shame how it all changed, and I moved on.

Rates for which labourer? It's a generic term for a very broad church, from someone who passes you things and cleans up, to someone who halves the time a skilled plasterer/brick layer/carpenter etc needs to do a job.

As a general rule at the lower end of the above it'd be 1/3 of a skilled trades rate, at the higher end 2/3 to 3/4 of a skilled trades rate. So I'd say roughly £80 to £120 a day.

Obviously that doesn't take into account someone who is capable of also carrying out basic parts of a trade. In those cases it's really down to how much you can charge them out at.

Malc I did all that developers work for about eighteen years.
Apparently the last large sand and cement job in the UK.
They were the best firm to work for bar none IMO. Such a shame how it all changed, and I moved on.

at this moment in time they are talking about closing down the development side of the business. then build up the venture capitalist side of the business. lending money to other developers.

at this moment in time they are talking about closing down the development side of the business. then build up the venture capitalist side of the business. lending money to other developers.
Assuming that we are talking about the same company that's a surprising change of tack. I thought they were set up to continue building long after the governor has passed.