Labourer/Apprentice in Essex

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooper.s

I Currently been let go by my recent employer and im hoping to get into the plastering trade, im willing to go on a 3 week training course at goldtrowel so i know the basics but id really like someone to take me so i can learn the trade 1st hand on domestic/comercial propeties.

I will be the most loyal hardowrking labourer/apprentice yourll ever take under your wing and I dont mind making tea or coffee ;)

Im in Clacton on sea but willing to travel.

If anyone is in the postion to take me on please send me a private message.

Thanks
Sean

Don't bother with Goldtrowel, offer to work for nothing for a couple of weeks until you can mix up plaster and scratch up.
Except a low wage for 6 months until you can use a trowel to flatten in finish.
After two years of labouring and putting on you should be able to produce decent work.
After 5 years of working with a plasterer you will good and fast enough to call yourself a spread

good luck

Thanks for the reply, when you say low wage what sort of money we talking? its not really an issue to be fair but just a guide so I can work my finances out.

Hello Garret,

Capital spread dont bother with GT but a lot of members have done well after visiting their tarining center. I am not just saying that because they sponsor. I have been to their training center recently and they have really upped their game.

Dont get me wrong I dont think it makes you a plasterer but you get an idea of what is going on and you get the basics... you will become a good plasterers labourer which will give you a head start. I am not sure how much it is but you can get gov grants and what not.

In an ideal world you would do a 3/5 year apprenticeship but these days that just is not possible....

I did the GT training and those of you I have worked with in the past will know that I am not a bad spread.... (although I not really done much in the last 2 years) I built a great reputation in my area and had 3/4 spreads working for me... not bad really.

You wont become a plasterer in 2/3 weeks

I hope this in some way has helped

Danny

Thanks garret, 40/50 a day is a payrise for me hahahahahaha Ive recently been earning £35 a week lol.

Danny, Thanks for your post, im not expecting to come out of gold trowel ready to take on the world, but id like a idea what im doing/going to be doing and get the basics down so I can start improving with help from a spread, only thing is I cant justify spending the £1050 for the 3 week course if im not guarenteed work.
What are my chances of finding work with a spread in north east essex? Is there anyone on the forum from this area? If so how can i find them so i can drop them a pm?

I was layed off last week as i was working on a Holiday park and it was a seasonal contract so i would quite happily work for nothing for a few weeks, and if i was to get 40/50 a day as a labourer then ill be the happiest man in the world.

Thanks for the posts
Your help is appriciated.

Forgot to mention.
What course would be best for me to get an insight and then progress with on the job work with a spread?
Do I necassarily need to do the 3 week course or would a 5 day be ok?

depends on what the course covers and what your new gaffer will expect from you...
a little bit of everything can be a dangerous thing...
specially if you start telling the gaffer 'well on my course we did xyz, youre doing it wrong'... cue overhead bag trick..
best to find out what the course offers, then post it up here...

depends on what the course covers and what your new gaffer will expect from you...
a little bit of everything can be a dangerous thing...
specially if you start telling the gaffer 'well on my course we did xyz, youre doing it wrong'... cue overhead bag trick..
best to find out what the course offers, then post it up here...

Id never go in saying i can do this this this and this, ill say ive had a go at, attempted, learnt basics etc.... the last thing I want to is big myself up and then not live up to the expectations, its a 1 way ticket to getting the boot.

The 5 day course rams quite alot of stuff in for £500

This is what you do over the 5 days...
Monday:

You will learn how to Plasterboard your ceiling in your allocated room, learn how to cut and fix boards correctly then scrim tape the joins, cut and fix angle beads to windows and returns, 2 coat skim (Plaster) the ceiling using the correct method and following the procedure for cutting back etc.

Tuesday:

Float all the walls as a backing coat, the use of scratch coats and screeds to be used as well as free rule. At Goldtrowel we use Sand and Cement. Students will also learn how to apply Direct Bond (Dot & Dab), using the correct Gypsum guidelines.

Wednesday:

2 coat skim the walls flat and smooth using the correct procedure from your starting point. In the afternoon you will have a discussion about pricing work, types of plasters, different backgrounds etc. This is a great time to ask any questions you may have. You will then change rooms and carry out repairs to ceilings and walls. You will also prepare your ceilings using Artex patterns prior to the following day. (Optional)

Thursday:

This is your new room that you will have to complete in one day. You will carry out a glue float and set using bonding, re bead the windows and external corners, re-skim (Plaster) the ceilings and walls to a high standard and finish externals with and without beads. By applying the trowel float trowel method you will skim your ceilings and walls all together to consolidate how much you have learnt on the first 3 days all rolled into one day. The bonus to this day is that you are now skimming over Artex.

Friday:

Coving out the rooms using various tools for internal, external and offset angles. This will be the day you will finish the rooms off completely with floor screeding to our set FFL. You will also be given up to date information on screeding using various types of insulation such as cellotex, from conservatories to New Builds we have the knowledge and experience. We will also be covering unbonded and bonded floors knowing all regulations to the relevant substrates.

kinell... hope they include breakfast.. :RpS_blink:

theres a lot to learn there although no mention of suction control...
perhaps the skimming over artex will give you enough of a shock, depends how you prep it, you need to get your suction control really WRONG to appreciate how it works..
still, looks good as an appreciation of a trade, why theyve got 'pricing work' in there is totally beyond my comprehension unless they really do think theyre gonna turn out qualified spreads in 5 days but im sure someone will give me the reason?
youre gonna need to get straight into work though or youll forget 90% of what youve been taught, waiting 6 months before you pick a trowel up again is gonna leave you back at square 1..

to be honest, i dont look for experience of any kind if im looking for a noob, i look at the attitude of the bloke, and his work ethic... everything else ill teach him, and if i catch the c'nt with a sponge float ill stick it right up his...

kinell... hope they include breakfast.. :RpS_blink:

theres a lot to learn there although no mention of suction control...
perhaps the skimming over artex will give you enough of a shock, depends how you prep it, you need to get your suction control really WRONG to appreciate how it works..
still, looks good as an appreciation of a trade, why theyve got 'pricing work' in there is totally beyond my comprehension unless they really do think theyre gonna turn out qualified spreads in 5 days but im sure someone will give me the reason?
youre gonna need to get straight into work though or youll forget 90% of what youve been taught, waiting 6 months before you pick a trowel up again is gonna leave you back at square 1..

to be honest, i dont look for experience of any kind if im looking for a noob, i look at the attitude of the bloke, and his work ethic... everything else ill teach him, and if i catch the c'nt with a sponge float ill stick it right up his...

So what would you expect a labourer/trainee to say on first phone call... what would get you interested to get him to come see you to tlk further?

confident but not arrogant attitude, honest and straight talking...
if experience is mentioned, something in the construction side would be an advantage, doesnt matter what, as long as he's managed to last more than a couple of weeks up to his knees in s**t, getting bollocked by the gaffer whilst pushing a barrow full of concrete up a muddy plank... capable of a bit of graft sort of bloke...
dont have to be superman, you can teach a skinny intelligent bloke to eat a big mac or two but you cant teach a 6 foot gorilla to spell his own name...
own transport an advantage...
own tools a bit of a worry to be honest, depends on what sort of stage your at, turn up with a load of shiny new b&q gear fresh off a 5 day course and the tools can stay in the van...
first thing he's gonna be doing is loading out, mixing up, sweeping the floor...
what makes a good labourer is the ability to get that s**t done double quick so he can spend a bit of time on the trowel..
youll start off on final trowel once youve learnt to mix up and work backwards till your laying on..
just seems to work for me..
if youve got a decent trowel you can bring that to start, wear it in on final trowel.

the worst kind are them that push the brush half arsed with one hand, stand around doing sod all, always on the phone, texting constantly...
the best ones will go looking for something to do even if theres nothing obvious and were tidied up almost ready to go... the van can always use a tidy up...
the idea is to get the job done as cleanly and quickly as possible without using excessive unnecassary energy, whilst your moving, were earning cos its something i'll end up doing if you dont do it...

common sense...

dont leave home without it...

Hello mate..
Ive recently done a five day course and was surprised how much i learned im by no means a plasterer but ive done a couple of small rooms in my house and to be fair to myself i think ive done a pretty good job,,ive also just started working with a mate who's a good spread just mixing up and generally getting in his way trying to learn things from him..
Im sure a short course would help you learn the very basics like myself and you will find out if you like it?

Hello mate..
Ive recently done a five day course and was surprised how much i learned im by no means a plasterer but ive done a couple of small rooms in my house and to be fair to myself i think ive done a pretty good job,,ive also just started working with a mate who's a good spread just mixing up and generally getting in his way trying to learn things from him..
Im sure a short course would help you learn the very basics like myself and you will find out if you like it?
Thanks scotty, im hoping to start 1 in the new year maybe, just a bit of a worry atm, not working im just trying to keep hold of any spare cash ive got atm :(

Status
Not open for further replies.