krend on timber frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobspread

The job i'm working on has 70m of timber frame to be rendered,the agent called me outside and said its to be done in krend or an alternative render ,never done krend on to cement board i think it would crack, does krend have a spec for it? i'd rather thin coat it or could i fix say 50mm insulation to the ply which already has the membrane on

we have just finished a krend on a large timber framed house.
knauf render carrier boards, scrim joints with 100mm scrim, fit 6mm beads, base coat and scrim, render coat ruled and sponged floated. medium sponge then fine sponge, left to cure for 2 weeks, 2 coats of primer, left for another 2 weeks then apply acrylic finish.
krend needs to have a good mix, so that does not appear to be grainy.

we have just finished a krend on a large timber framed house.
knauf render carrier boards, scrim joints with 100mm scrim, fit 6mm beads, base coat and scrim, render coat ruled and sponged floated. medium sponge then fine sponge, left to cure for 2 weeks, 2 coats of primer, left for another 2 weeks then apply acrylic finish.
krend needs to have a good mix, so that does not appear to be grainy.
does the primer need 2 weeks @malc?

The job i'm working on has 70m of timber frame to be rendered,the agent called me outside and said its to be done in krend or an alternative render ,never done krend on to cement board i think it would crack, does krend have a spec for it? i'd rather thin coat it or could i fix say 50mm insulation to the ply which already has the membrane on

Hi Bob

As Malc and Arti have posted, you can apply K Rend Scratch to Knauf Aquapanel Exterior onto a TF, but it is usually better to use a thin coat onto a TF due to settlement of the TF....

The application is pritty much as Malc has posted

If you want to drop me a mail with some further details - rlord@knauf.co.uk - I will be able to review and assist further. I will also be able to get the right person from K Rend to contact you directly as well....

Good Luck!

Richard Lord
Knauf
Aquapanel Tech Development Manager

Hi Bob

As Malc and Arti have posted, you can apply K Rend Scratch to Knauf Aquapanel Exterior onto a TF, but it is usually better to use a thin coat onto a TF due to settlement of the TF....

The application is pritty much as Malc has posted

If you want to drop me a mail with some further details - rlord@knauf.co.uk - I will be able to review and assist further. I will also be able to get the right person from K Rend to contact you directly as well....

Good Luck!

Richard Lord
Knauf
Aquapanel Tech Development Manager
Thanks for the info Richard,the job won't be getting done till mid March but i'll pass your number on to the site agent when nearer the start date.

Hi, what is the thinnest render board you can buy? The roofers have set the roof drip too shallow so need a really thin board.
cheers.

Hi, what is the thinnest render board you can buy? The roofers have set the roof drip too shallow so need a really thin board.
cheers.
9mm I think, haven't seen anything thinner.

Hi guys

Knauf Aquapanel Exterior is only available in 12.5mm thickness. This is then tested for all UK weather conditions and fully compliant with new build regulations and insurance providers.

You can get thinner consumable boards (by others - buy and do as you please), but is a 3mm saving in board thickness really going to make that much difference? ....and if so will the client be happy with a compromise in cladding performance, due to an error elsewhere?

Contact me to discuss further if you like. May be able to discuss some other options....

Good luck
Richard Lord
Knauf

Hi guys

Knauf Aquapanel Exterior is only available in 12.5mm thickness. This is then tested for all UK weather conditions and fully compliant with new build regulations and insurance providers.

You can get thinner consumable boards (by others - buy and do as you please), but is a 3mm saving in board thickness really going to make that much difference? ....and if so will the client be happy with a compromise in cladding performance, due to an error elsewhere?

Contact me to discuss further if you like. May be able to discuss some other options....

Good luck
Richard Lord
Knauf
Hi Richard, the panels are already clad in 18mm ply. They had a spec of 15mm ply breather membrane eml then krend e grade. I told them that it's not suitable and won't be warranted so they are looking at over boarding the ply with render board hpx then e grade.
Cheers.

If you go HPX Mesh and E Grade onto a board, you put the E Grade on thinner than direct to brick anyway....

Contact K Rend to confirm, but think you put it on 11 or 12 mm and scratch back to 9.... With a 4 mm HPX that has saved your 3 mm.....

When you talk to K Rend refer them to me if needed

Good luck
Richard Lord

Yes surely you want that mono as thin as you can go
I'd be more happy with a thin coat system through out
K rend tc bucket finish is better surely?

I'd check with K Rend, last I heard their spec for Monocouche onto render board is no longer valid other than small areas such as Dorma cheeks. The only spec they have is for TC15 for general application. I can understand why, timber frames can be a swine if they move.

Yes surely you want that mono as thin as you can go
I'd be more happy with a thin coat system through out
K rend tc bucket finish is better surely?
Your right mate but they want it doing yesterday so thin coat not an option really with all this rain were getting lately.

Hi
I would not suggest putting anything other than a thin coat system onto a timber frame house.
We did a top spec £800, 000 pound house two years ago 300m2, client fixed render board 12.5mm, we rendered hpx, fully meshed, K- rend top coat and within a year cracked all over.
Its to much weight and has to crack every time.
Very expensive when it goes wrong, had to take the lot off and start again cost a bomb to sort out and suppliers wont stand by that spec.

Hi
I would not suggest putting anything other than a thin coat system onto a timber frame house.
We did a top spec £800, 000 pound house two years ago 300m2, client fixed render board 12.5mm, we rendered hpx, fully meshed, K- rend top coat and within a year cracked all over.
Its to much weight and has to crack every time.
Very expensive when it goes wrong, had to take the lot off and start again cost a bomb to sort out and suppliers wont stand by that spec.
Did you have to pay for it?

I've done a fair few timber frame and the architect don't normally know the difference they just want it coloured rendered, I alwAy do it in thincoAt what ever it says on spec, I alway explain it has to be a thincoAt system and egg and there's never a problem. You tell them your trade not the other way round [emoji106]

I've done a fair few timber frame and the architect don't normally know the difference they just want it coloured rendered, I alwAy do it in thincoAt what ever it says on spec, I alway explain it has to be a thincoAt system and egg and there's never a problem. You tell them your trade not the other way round [emoji106]
Good shout
I spoke to a builder yesterday and the architect told him to use a render menbraine(tanking) fixed to the timber frame then sand & cement!!!
Wtf

Good post here.
A brittle render over a board is a big risk
I've just talked a developer into not building 14 flats on a timber frame with a block outer skim
It's now a thin cost system on a render board
Happy days
That's what i said to them,how the he'll can you put a rigid render in a flexible background. Just asking for trouble.

I've done a fair few timber frame and the architect don't normally know the difference they just want it coloured rendered, I alwAy do it in thincoAt what ever it says on spec, I alway explain it has to be a thincoAt system and egg and there's never a problem. You tell them your trade not the other way round
emoji106.png
Good shout
I spoke to a builder yesterday and the architect told him to use a render menbraine(tanking) fixed the timber frame then sand & crment!!!

lucky enough they found a few faults with render board fixing so we didn`t have to pay.
But after research i realised it was a bad spec anyway and makes sense now.
The existing had to be taken off , new render board fixed and finished with thin coat system.
By the time it was re-done with scaffold erection (twice) cost over £40,000
leaves a bad taste in your mouth as your only trying to sell a good product

Status
Not open for further replies.