Krend, no bellcast?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb

Hi,

Im getting my house rendered with K-rend, hp12 base coat and silicone ft. I have seen a house locally with no bellcast, is this easy to do? The wall was just flush with the underbuild, and the underbuild was in the same colour render. Would they have used an expansion beading around the dpc line or 2 stop beads? Or am i completely wrong?

Cheers,
Danny

you sound wrong, but not really sure what you mean.
if you are rendering below your dpc you need to modify your render acordingly.

Yeah there was a clear line around, looked like an expansion bead from a distance. But im not sure, i just want the whole house to look the same, above and below dpc if its possible.

Doesn't matter what you use but don't go near the floor with mono it'll look s**t in a couple of years use sand cement beneath the dpc

Why would it look s**t? There isnt much point in me paying out for a krend finish then just sand cement finish below dpc? bearing in mind its 600mm deep at one end of the house.

All the s**t that gets splashed back onto the wall with gather at the dpc line if you use mono because it's pitted it will all gather in it
Use it by all means there're no reason not to and it's easy to clean at that hight

So basically ignore everything I've just said lol

It is quite easy to clean with it being silicone based? Any ideas on what they will have used for beading and how the would have sealed it?

you want two beads back to back at dpc to create the break. the silicone in krend means nothing, sounds good on the sales side of things tho

Two new houses have been built near mine a Weber product was used and a machine for mixing etc., a school has been built within 30 metres of our garden , four blocks of aged persons dwellings built behind. Non have bell cast or visible dpc's all are rendered down to the ground. They are in a variety of colours, I have observed much of the construction and the standard of workmanship is high. I have photographed a neighbours house and the school to confirm the render details but haven't managed to load them. Its in France but they weather provides quantities of rain and frost. The old persons blocks behind us show some minor signs of rainwater bounce.

Cheers,
Danny[/QUOTE]

It is in our building regulations isn't it not to bridge the dpc?

I would not bother with mono below the dpc. It may be cleanable but it defeats the object. A smooth sand and cement render with a silicone based paint, painted in a mucky colour.

As for beads I use bell cast usually for this purpose. An expansion bead would work but make sure there is no sag on the underside or water will get in. Two stop beads up to each other with silicone in the gap will work but how long will the silicone last?

plasterjfe

Unfortunately i am not able to afford to just pay a company to come in supply all materials etc. Therfor i am just paying someone who does bricklaying and rendering on a labour only rate an i said i would sort all the materials out.

Risby,

How do you mean bridge the gap? I was speaking to krend and they said to use a bellcast bead and run a bead of silicone along the underside of the bellcast bead and then just plaster the krend below dpc straight upto the underside of the bellcast bead.

Wouldnt it look silly having krend above dpc and sand and cement below dpc? I know what people say about splash back etc, but ive just loaded 16t of pea gravel around the entire house so surely the render wouldnt be getting dirty?

When I say bridge the dpc, I mean the mono goes down to the dpc and stops there. If the Mono went down to, over and below the dpc it would be bridging it. Fitting a bead bead on the dpc would prevent the render above touching the render below so not to let the rising damp rise above the dpc.

I usually always mono, dash etc down to a dpc bell cast bead then smooth render down from the dpc bell cast to the ground. You will still get rain water splash back off the pebbles. Paint the plinth the right colour and it will look fine.

I tend to use a stop bead at dpc and not a bellcast when doing mono work this saves all those nasty scrape marks where it will dig in over the lip

the pea gravel will help matters, at least buy some time. just any porous damp mortar will attract airborne spores of nature. heck it even does it where its not damp.

if its what you want then go for it. if it fuks up you can always paint below dpc

plasterjfe

Unfortunately i am not able to afford to just pay a company to come in supply all materials etc. Therfor i am just paying someone who does bricklaying and rendering on a labour only rate an i said i would sort all the materials out.

Risby,

How do you mean bridge the gap? I was speaking to krend and they said to use a bellcast bead and run a bead of silicone along the underside of the bellcast bead and then just plaster the krend below dpc straight upto the underside of the bellcast bead.

Wouldnt it look silly having krend above dpc and sand and cement below dpc? I know what people say about splash back etc, but ive just loaded 16t of pea gravel around the entire house so surely the render wouldnt be getting dirty?

Good idea that about the silicon

On a few jobs, i have used an expansion bead instead of a bell cast and it has worked pretty nice, i may even post some pics if i can find them..

On a few jobs, i have used an expansion bead instead of a bell cast and it has worked pretty nice, i may even post some pics if i can find them..

will work on installation fine but if for any reason the render below needs to come off again its joined by the bead to the top

Ive rendered loads of plinths and have bridged the dpc numerous times without any come backs

plasterjfe

Risby,

My alarm bells would start ringing brickie come renderer this is a whole different ball game to sand and cement.

Ive rendered loads of plinths and have bridged the dpc numerous times without any come backs

You probably wouldn't get a come back. The render will most likely be waterproof so any rising damp wouldn't get in the render to by past the dpc. You might get a darker colour below the dpc or the dreaded salts on the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.