Kitchen - Damp - Plasterboard to floor?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

herds

In the kitchen of the house i'm renovating there is a slight damp issue on 2 walls the kitchen will be fitted, the damp goes about 1/2 a meter up the the wall with the window and the other wall some of the bricks are damp also. The house is a 100 year old victorianand I had damp issues previously in the front room which were sorted with fixing the issue and then SBR/cement/sand then limelite.

20130720_171630.jpg

Now the way I look at it, when I dot and dab these walls I don't need to bring the plasterboard all the way (or very close) to the floor, in fact I can d&d down to the highest copper pipe as that anything that height from the ground or below will be hidden by the cabinets.

Is that right? or should I at least damp proof the walls? there are quite a few options i've spotted ranging from what i have done previously to.. painting bitchumen paint all the way to things like foil backed treated battens.

I don't like cutting corners but at the same time I don't really want to be spending a few days sorted a damp area that will not be visible.

As always replies are appreciated.

Cheers.

For clarity the floor, today, had a DPM along the floor that goes up the wall to skirting level with 100mm of concrete on top. There is then going to be a couple pillars built which will suport a suspend floor.

Wouldn't like to advise on this one herds, I've done plenty of tanking, vandex etc but always followed spec given. I'm sure you will get a sound answer soon

I would damp proof it, damp proof with four to one sand cement with ska in the water at ten to one,,,

Is that after applying s slurry mix to the wall or just straight to sand and cement render.

btw, what is Ska? i thought it trumphet music.

The outside wall is solid and will have render applied to it in the next couple weeks

With that in mind is it a good idea to damp proof the internal wall as if you seal the walls on both sides they will not 'breathe', ie moisture will not be able to evaporate out of them.

(why doesn't this forum have a 'edit button (apologies for the 3rd post))

Thinking out aloud here and please bear with me, i'm not a builder :) I have some DPM left over from the floor, could I not us this somehow or would it be just easier to get vaporshield boards for these walls.

I would defo tank the window wall cos its solid and while you've got the gear just tank the adjacent wall. have you finished that bay window yet herds?

On another note: we have a new section on the forum. The happy section, why not pop in sometime...................:RpS_wink:

I would defo tank the window wall cos its solid and while you've got the gear just tank the adjacent wall. have you finished that bay window yet herds?

On another note: we have a new section on the forum. The happy section, why not pop in sometime...................:RpS_wink:

Bay windows is all done, haha, the room except for some decorating and skirt is almost done:

20130627_193211.jpg

But wont having a non breathable wall on both sides be an issue?

I'm not sure where the damp came from, I would think the outside as the bricks are all a bit shot, that's why I'm rendering the back of the house.

Why dont you get a someone out to give you a damp survey and some advice, then go from there, rather than guessing where the damp is coming from. Someone off here might be able to come and give you some help...................:RpS_thumbup:

Thanks for all the advice people.

I've decided to go for a 4.1 on the window wall with waterproofer, i will render this up from the DPC (not below), before its set will give it a scratch with the trowel

On the other wall, i am going to give it some bitchumen paint above the DPC because it's going to be hard/impossible to render around the pipes.

be starting this in an hour (midday) so if the DPC stuff i've mentioned aint right above please shout :D

Thanks for all the advice people.

I've decided to go for a 4.1 on the window wall with waterproofer, i will render this up from the DPC (not below), before its set will give it a scratch with the trowel

On the other wall, i am going to give it some bitchumen paint above the DPC because it's going to be hard/impossible to render around the pipes.

be starting this in an hour (midday) so if the DPC stuff i've mentioned aint right above please shout :D

IT'S NOT RIGHT DON'T DO IT :-0

Oh :RpS_unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.