K1 onto hpx slumping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim85

Hiya

We sprayed 45m2 this aftetnoon with our strata pump for the first time which went pretty well considering it's the first attempt! The pump worked brilliantly which was a relief after the bad experiences Iv heard about on here.

Only problem was we were spraying k1 silicone onto hpx but it just wouldn't pick up at all I tried ruling it when it first went on but it was too wet. Then tried a bit later and then it started slumping and a few bits fell out and the basecoat was saturated on the surface. We had to brush it off and put it back in. Got it sorted in the end with a bit of perseverance and swearing but is there something I'm missing here? Or do we need to leave the hpx longer? Went on it 24 hours later and it was rock solid. Or do we just need to spray the k1 a bit stiffer?

Thanks

The more you rule mono and play with it the wetter it gets.

If K1 silicone is anything like SAS's silicone mono it is a nightmare to rule off.

Oh rite so it's not just me then! It was like it was ejecting all the water out the back and running down the base coat behind the mono I was trying to rule off.

There's enough gear on the wall to get it flat and straight in the morning so no worries but it just wasn't a nice experience!

Iv done plenty of weber thru a pump and hand balled a fair bit of silicone ft over hpx and never had slumping like that before

Silicone. Can do that and hpx is low suction u gotta rule it little as possible. Can happen with krend tho u get the hang of it

Thanks guys I feel bit better about being totally s**t at ruling off now.

I will turn the water down tomorow and see how it goes.

Theres got to be an easier way then how it was today or no one would ever use it!!!

Becareful how much you turn the water down. That can cause other problems and if it is stiffer your ribbons will need more work to flatten so you might be back to square one.

Good to hear the spray went well. As an option maybe key the hpx better. Perhaps a stipple roller

You could try a quick pass of k1 trowel flat then a second bit slower pass. The material will pick up a little after it has been sprayed so try to rule behind the sprayer asap.

Another option i would consider is spray hpx and topcoat same day so there is some green suction there.

Not sure if kren is ok with that so check first

Iv read on here that you spray wet rigsby? Do you still spray the same over hpx? Or when there's no suction?

We keyed the scratch with a scratch comb with some tape on.
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1458081720.913366.jpg

I have tried a roller before on rend aid but had a hard time on top coat with grey coming thru.

When I have gone over rend aid tho it's never slumped like that

I did think go over in 2 passes but the gear just didn't pick up at all. After setting the machine up we had a bucket of gear we got out of the test pipe and it was still as wet as it came out 2 hours later. We actually used to it sort out the holes in the walls we had just put only.

That does look well keyed TBH so no worries there. Not sure if you have been trained but when we teach people to use the machine we show them how to use the Mortar presure guage. this is a universal means of measuring how thick the material is. if a pressure guage shows 15 bar on any machine with 15 mts of hose the material consistency will be identical.
I have run k1 with pressure guage on 11 bar to give you an idea of the consistency we ran. Try 2 passes or try spraying slower with the correct consistency from your feet up rather than from your head down. this will ensure any render that falls will drop onto what you have allready sprayed and not the floor. Also a 10 or 12mm spray cap is suitable. make sure you rule straight behind so you dont need to go over it after it starts to coagulate slightly

Thanks for the advice we tried to thicken it up a bit but that kept blocking the mixing chamber I think so I cleaned it out turned water up slightly and that was working fine.

I think the problem yesterday was I was trying to run the pump and rule off. We had a lad bagging for us today so ruling as we went and it was easy. No slumping at all and ruled off with no hassle.

Thanks for the help!

And we sorted the first spray out this morning and that all looked great when we had finished today [emoji106]

Hi Jim have a strata pump myself need some training as distributor's backup is nil as I didn't purchase off them n sat in lockup for 6mths!!

They're not that difficult get used to running it with water going thru it then get yaself 5 bags of hardwall n try putting that thru it. Bit of trial and error is how I did it. I can give u some advice but I'm no expert

Hi Jim have a strata pump myself need some training as distributor's backup is nil as I didn't purchase off them n sat in lockup for 6mths!!
I've got one as well mate, was same as you when I first got it but after picking a few guys brains on here and on Facebook I'm pretty confident with it. Any questions just fire away, if you don't want to post on main forum then pm but you'll need to get your post count up first, think it's ten posts before you can pm @Danny?

I've got one as well mate, was same as you when I first got it but after picking a few guys brains on here and on Facebook I'm pretty confident with it. Any questions just fire away, if you don't want to post on main forum then pm but you'll need to get your post count up first, think it's ten posts before you can pm @Danny?
Cheers mate I didn't even get a manual with it,keep rollin on handballin thinking I'd av this boxed n in the van home if I had that pump rockin n rollin!

Nah,I thought u have to go thru a certain start up routine I remember a bit wen I was in krautland in 90's mite try n download the manual get me head round start off
Connect power and water (not the one into mixing shaft) and turn machine to on, press purge button while adjusting flow rate up to 500. Once 500 is reached release purge button and connect the hose to the mixing shaft. Turn the forward button for a couple of seconds till water comes out the r and s. Stick a bucket under it or connect test pipe and empty half a bag of gear into machine and press the forward button while adjusting the flow rate down to around 300. Once you have desired consistency connect your main hoses and press forward till gear comes out the end, make sure you have wet inside of hose first. Connect gun and air and turn machine to auto and you should now be controlling it with the air on off valve. Fill hopper and spray away. I'm still new to it so if I've missed something or done something wrong please someone correct me.

I'm just leaving the water on the setting Iv got it on. Just slowly add the powder until it's thickened up and then I put the rest of bag in, run it into a bucket then use it for reveals. Seems to work ok

I'm just leaving the water on the setting Iv got it on. Just slowly add the powder until it's thickened up and then I put the rest of bag in, run it into a bucket then use it for reveals. Seems to work ok
Are you running the machine while adding the powder

Yep get it running with water coming out the test pipe then slowly add the powder gradually putting it in faster until you have covered the mixing shaft in bottom of hopper and then the gear should start coming out right. Then I keep it running out into a bucket until it stays consistent. I have the air hose connected with the gun layed on top of hopper on so I can start and stop machine with the air. Then all u have to do is connect the material hose n get the gear thru.

No, still waiting on Sam getting back to me. I've got the other machine out my lock up and going to set up round my back door just now and if all working I'll use that or might just take water pump off it and put on other one. Both machines in good nick so I'm sure I'll get something sorted.

I'm sure it's just a sticky relay because it's not been used for a while. How many times u tried the machine out??

When u next speak to sam ask him to get you a wiring diagram emailed over. Then forward it to me[emoji106][emoji4]

That's it working, changed the flow rate pipe and pipe work back to the big nut in the centre. Thank fk

When u next speak to sam ask him to get you a wiring diagram emailed over. Then forward it to me[emoji106][emoji4]
I've got a wiring diagram in my machine. If you open up the front panel there was one shoved in there

Oh rite that's handy. I'll have a look n see if Iv got one.

Glad u got it sorted. More problems u have the more u learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.