K1 cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

clivo

Thought all was going well with the machine spraying, no probs with the machine but K1 im not so sure ! Completed 220 bag job and all looks good, but sprayed a gable at my place about a month ago, K1 on HPX base with mesh. R7 sealer over old tyrolene. All looked good until today I noticed some big hairline cracks, tapped them to check if they were hollow but they weren't, what a load of crap, anyone else had this problem with K1 ? Is Parex or Webber better ? Need to try different product on next job if this is what happens with K1 !:RpS_cursing:

Had rep out yesterday regarding this problem, they are still not 100% sure why but I do know the are working on it, we found that the quicker you get it opened or give it two passes the less likely cracks appear, must admit was liking the stuff until the temperature picked up and started having these problems. Still weber the best IMO.

Had rep out yesterday regarding this problem, they are still not 100% sure why but I do know the are working on it, we found that the quicker you get it opened or give it two passes the less likely cracks appear, must admit was liking the stuff until the temperature picked up and started having these problems. Still weber the best IMO.

Surely its the blend? They can't change the raw material can they it comes out of their own mine. ?

Surely its the blend? They can't change the raw material can they it comes out of their own mine. ?

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it not being silicon based or what, the funny thing Is that it starts to split/crack even when it's green! But if you get a rub on it early it's fine. They will defo need to sort it quickly before it gets to much of a bad rep.

Well it sounds like the binders or the plasticisers perhaps. Krend standard is a clumpy heavy bitty product and separates easily compared with others so it not the silicone.

Its sounds like the material is falling apart on the wall and early floating is maybe keeping it together because its getting worked back in.

How long can it take to sort it surely its something that can be resolved fast.

I put 2 passes on, only noticed the cracks the other day after about a month. I think im going to get the rep out, seems to me they havn't trialed it enough, remember the plaster thistle one coat I think it was, straight on with no pva or anything, bloody hell that was crap, had rep out on two big jobs they had to pay me to re do them. it got taken out of circulation not long after.

well, rang krend and have an area rep coming out, will have to check around last job to see if any problems there ! looks like I will try different product next time :RpS_cursing:

Keep us posted.

Really can't decide weather to just use egrade rather than k1 spray on this job I have coming up.

Its not the type of place where they will ignore the odd crack here and there.

Got the k1 sample here. Big crack through it lol.
Couldv been when it came through the letterbox though

Ha Ha, nice one ! after talking to several plasterers in my area I think you should avoid K1, all having same problems with separation cracks etc. I don't think I will risk it again, im going to give webber and parex a go to see which I prefer. hopefully Krend will pay to put the gable right but I aint holding my breath ! :RpS_blushing:

Yep. Trouble is it will be hard to get inside views as they won't want this being public knowledge.

It sounds like it deffo needs changing.

Well that's at least am admission that there is a problem with the product, a first step to rectifying it....
worrying that it went to market still.

Well that's at least am admission that there is a problem with the product, a first step to rectifying it....
worrying that it went to market still.

They have Acknowledged the problem just hope the do something about it, I have just started a job with 9 houses, done the first 2 and not looking forward to doing the rest with these problems!. They are due to get back to me this week fingers crossed.

K rend look (lurk) on this forum, as I've spoken to the reps before so they can see what lads are writing . If the products poor they have to take note especially With the competition about, they'll have to,up there game.

K rend look (lurk) on this forum, as I've spoken to the reps before so they can see what lads are writing . If the products poor they have to take note especially With the competition about, they'll have to,up there game.

Aye your right

The was 2 lads I think members I spoke to em on ere. They do read up.

Tbh it don't matter really they are honest enough to know spray lads have been avoiding it, that's probably the reason k1 was invented in the first place.
Now they just need to tweek it and hey presto.

If they acknowledged there is a problem then surely it will be addressed soon enough fingers crossed.

I used weber eco smart today.lovely gear

ive just finished a little bungalow using k1 , i thought it was great to spray and just as good to rule off .
it is a very slow set we found it was best sprayed late and leave overnight , with the cracking issue
we had 1 gable which was in direct sunlight most of the day and when we came to scratch had some large
cracks appearing , we filled them and scratched anyway but they came back through when dry which was
a disapointment . anyone working with the product just make sure your conditions are spot on .

We just started a large house with K1, (I was talked into using it by the reps) sprayed a pallet on by 10;30, all good nice to spray and rule, thought they might have got this right, but then noticed large nasty cracks all over, especially between scaff lifts. It was still quite soft too. So we had to fill in before we opend it up. left it a bit longer and it still continued to crack, but not as much.
Good job it was a same day scrape or we would have been fo**ked.
It came out ok but worried now its gonna hairline.
continue or not?

Happened to me also,i squashed the rubbing off dust into the cracks but they dried a different colour. Whole area had to be painted 3 walls.

We just started a large house with K1, (I was talked into using it by the reps) sprayed a pallet on by 10;30, all good nice to spray and rule, thought they might have got this right, but then noticed large nasty cracks all over, especially between scaff lifts. It was still quite soft too. So we had to fill in before we opend it up. left it a bit longer and it still continued to crack, but not as much.
Good job it was a same day scrape or we would have been fo**ked.
It came out ok but worried now its gonna hairline.
continue or not?
No I would leave well alone, gable at my own house hairline cracked after about a week, only just noticed it. Big house I did before had lots of small separation cracks, rep hasn't even contacted me yet ! Never had this problem with the Ft.

Hmmm, shrinkage under accelerated drying conditions could indicate a couple of issues. They are marketing this for lower strength block which suggests a lower strength cement but a slightly higher polymer and cellulose content. The FT likes a couple of extra minutes mixing time over say Parex or Weber as the Silicone in the mix slows down the polymer activation, I'm wondering if the K1 needs a bit more of a mix as well, if anyone could try this to see if it improves things it would be handy, K Rend spec 10 minutes mixing for all their renders, can't imagine many actually do this.

Hmmm, shrinkage under accelerated drying conditions could indicate a couple of issues. They are marketing this for lower strength block which suggests a lower strength cement but a slightly higher polymer and cellulose content. The FT likes a couple of extra minutes mixing time over say Parex or Weber as the Silicone in the mix slows down the polymer activation, I'm wondering if the K1 needs a bit more of a mix as well, if anyone could try this to see if it improves things it would be handy, K Rend spec 10 minutes mixing for all their renders, can't imagine many actually do this.

10 minutes? More like 10 seconds going through a pump if that!

I thought the extra mixing of the ft was because the silicone slows water absorbsion to the material rather than the polymer activation. Is ft even considered a true polymer render as the content needs to be a certain level. As specs will tell. Mono finish over certain substrates like timber frame is a no in favour of acrylics except for the true polymer monos such as m1

K1 is advertised on the site as a polymer render and they do require more mixing.

I can totally agree that lads working on price will never be mixing krend for 10mims. So counter productive.

K1 being aimed at the spray market is only ever going to be mixed at warp speed through the worm.
Having realised they need to be more spray gang friendly I find it unlikely they would release the said spray product and then slap a 10 minute mixing time on it.

Any lads on here who have an after mixer on their machines for polymer render ? That would be a suggestion.
Get some sprayed through and see how it compares

Last edited:
I thought the extra mixing of the ft was because the silicone slows water absorbsion to the material rather than the polymer activation. Is ft even considered a true polymer render as the content needs to be a certain level. As specs will tell. Mono finish over certain substrates like timber frame is a no in favour of acrylics except for the true polymer monos such as m1

K1 is advertised on the site as a polymer render and they do require more mixing.

I can totally agree that lads working on price will never be mixing krend for 10mims. So counter productive.

K1 being aimed at the spray market is only ever going to be mixed at warp speed through the worm.
Having realised they need to be more spray gang friendly I find it unlikely they would release the said spray product and then slap a 10 minute mixing time on it.

Any lads on here who have an after mixer on their machines for polymer render ? That would be a suggestion.
Get some sprayed through and see how it compares

You need the water to activate the polymers, so it's all the same thing.

Had the krend rep out today to look at cracks on my place. His take on it was that the cracks were thermal , suggesting the top coat hasn't adhered to the hpx, as ive done everything to spec, I cant see that , he also said that they were still keeping an eye on k1 as this is the first summer it has been used and while everything seems ok in the cooler months they seem to be having problems with it I the hotter spells, he thinks maybe the aggregate is too fine. anyway the upshot is he will supply materials to overcoat in their thin coat product as this is more flexible, no allowance for scaffold or labour tho ! Bit disappointed with that to be honest but I think its because its my own property which is in the middle of a renovation so maybe he thought its not a paying job , oh well I will try the thincoat and see how it pans out, don't think I will touch K1 again tho ! :RpS_crying:

Hmnn not the best outcome. So if all the jobs that have cracked around the country are thermal what about the ones done in cooler temps. Also he mentioned the failure to adhere to the hpx. Many of the cracked jobs are onto block and are well adhered.

Maybe just use egrade until further improvements.

I spoke to one of my customers today and he is spraying loads of e grade and he's having no issues with it ... So im now wondering whats the point in having k1

Status
Not open for further replies.