k rend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jace

well guys the time has come for me to have my first go at k rend only ever done trad render before, the fella im working for asked me about it and i explained that if he wanted normal sand and cement then im all over it but i have never done k rend before, he says its ok hes never had it before and its as much of an experiment for him as it is for me, also he says it doesnt matter if it doesnt look tippy top as he understands ive never done it before.
oh yeah i forgot to add its a flank wall of a 7 story block of flats haha:RpS_scared:, now i understand my if people say i shouldnt be doin it BUT ive explained me situation fully to builder hes happy to proceed with no fall backs on me, and u figure if i dnt try it now then wen will i get a chance to try it worry free for my first time.
any pointers lads??
its over old render so im guessing hp12, then mesh bedded into scratch then krend textured finish over top. be gentle:RpS_wink:

Last edited:
yeah by hand but its being broke down into squares i think roughly mimicking the levels between flats

im on a day rate so the areas will be broke up for me to manage proberly horizontaly then once down the middle so it wnt be to bad im not sure on the meterage of each area though as i said it doesnt matter if its not spot on (well for pride it does but its a learning curve) the wall backs onto a shite arse run down council estate well out of public eye, i think this is why he wants to try it out, as i said if it was traditional s&c id be all over it, but i figure its as gooder oppertunity to try this as any.
any pointers.
the old sand and cement is being repaired then beaded up then scratch hp12 will be goin on mesh bedded into this as its on old substrate then top over that am i right in thinking lay on rule flat then scratch 2mm of the surface to leave an even finish at this time of year would i get away with scratching it bk next day

i think if it was my job i would be looking at using a thin coat system rather than the mono, but you seem to be going about it the right way, why not get some one in to assist you who knows the systems with the first few panels, so you can see what the score is

Hi m8.

A few pointers I learnt from my first time...

You need a good labourer knocking up a couple of bags for you at a time, I used a plasterers bath a big gorilla tub would be ok though.

Base Coat.

Pretty straight forward, follow K Rend guidelines for thickness. Make sure you get the wall flat with this coat, if the wall needs dubbing out may be better to use sand/cement before base. Bed mesh into base coat and lightly scratch, I fully mesh some people just put it on stress points above windows/ doors etc. Fix your beads to the basecoat, with basecoat/fixings.

Colour Coat

Getting the mix right is essential, follow the amounts for water on the back of the bag 4-5 litres, I would go with the lesser amount 4 litres and add a little more if needed. You don't want your mix wet...its better to be thicker. Make sure it is mixed very well avoid any lumps. Lumps that end up in the wall will come out like little craters of powder when you scrape back and can't easily be patched.

Assuming you are using 10mm beads (fixed onto the basecoat) and silicone ft. Apply the colour coat quickly to 12mm thickness, ruling off and filling in any hollows as you go. You must leave the render 3mm proud of the beads so you can scrape back to the beads. The colour coat should be applied as one coat @ 12mm (according to krend) not 2 passes, if you mix it thick enough you should be able to get the thickness.

Once you have finished a block keep some of the mix to one side, you can add water to this and use it to fill in when scraping back if need be, this should be avoided at all costs though as it will be noticed.

This time of year it will be best to lay on later in the day and come back and scrape first thing in the morning. Scaping back is done in a circular motion you must remove 1-2mm and no more. As for timing it is ready for scraping as soon as you can no longer easily put a mark in it with your nail. If you start scraping and the Krend is getting stuck to the scraper its to early. Scraping should be done lightly all at the same time. Reveals can be scaped back with a margin trowel etc.

Thickness is the most important for the colour coat you need to get it on 12mm and scape back to 10...don't go back over areas you have done which have skinned up as when you scrape back you could end up with a halo ring which is a colour variation between 2 coats/passes and looks terrible. Fill in and rule off as you go.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Jr most of the works finishing it getting it ons a piece of pee

Last edited:
cheers guys thanks for that they have started to sand and cement the top bands now cos im damp proofing the basement at the mo.
cheers for the details though.
nick i may well have to take you up on that offer ill see what the fella says, it wnt be for a while though gota finish the basement then2 more large flats then his sisters house first.
thanks again

let me know i will give you a hand and do it on a price its a doddle i will give you a shout when im doing that bit near you so you can see how easy it is

im nearer and better and that touching thing you got going on not everyone likes it

we could do it together. then that touching thing that you do happen to like, we could have another little go. and you could get aroused with my ritmo. plan??

i like the sound of the touching will i be envolved aswell, this job just gets better and better

i dont like it jr its a bit freaky but if you meet nick it will all start to make sense

im jason by the way :RpS_thumbup:, i thought you was jokeing bout the touching, wen you say touching wat are we saying here like he will come up behind ya and grab ya arse or he will just be talking to you and he just cnt help but stroke ya face haha either way im not saying no at the mo.
my choices are do i want to be shown how to do this before hand or just wait and be touched all day?? hmmm choices choices

I-Shot-J-R.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.