K rend retaining wall with no damp proofing

Members online

Bailzey

Hi all, I’m new here.

I’ve searched over 50 threads and can’t quite find a definitive answer.

I have a large dense block retaining wall to render ~1.6m in height and 17m in length

The wall currently has no means of damp proofing against the ground behind nor a dpc but will be fitted with weep holes and gravel backfilled for drainage. A fitted land drain pipe is also a possibility but unsure whether it’s really needed alongside weep holes.

It hasn’t yet been backfilled so access is available.

I’m looking to apply a coloured silicone render such as K-rend to the wall. K-rend specify that their render is waterproof due to the its silicone properties. Do I need to add a damp proofing membrane to the rear of the wall when using K-rend? Are there any advantages or am I wasting time and money?

i would use a damp proof membrane, but retaining walls can be a problem so best to give that job the swerve.

Hi all, I’m new here.

I’ve searched over 50 threads and can’t quite find a definitive answer.

I have a large dense block retaining wall to render ~1.6m in height and 17m in length

The wall currently has no means of damp proofing against the ground behind nor a dpc but will be fitted with weep holes and gravel backfilled for drainage. A fitted land drain pipe is also a possibility but unsure whether it’s really needed alongside weep holes.

It hasn’t yet been backfilled so access is available.

I’m looking to apply a coloured silicone render such as K-rend to the wall. K-rend specify that their render is waterproof due to the its silicone properties. Do I need to add a damp proofing membrane to the rear of the wall when using K-rend? Are there any advantages or am I wasting time and money?

Don't know if its any use, but I'm going to be using this product on below ground walls on my house as its had a history of water working its way under the floors. kiesol mb primer, 2 coats of the Remmers mb2k, physical membrane and land drain being fitted etc etc.

Membrane or you will get strike through damp on render looks shite
Do not render to ground level splash course or
Bead above ground 100mm min

Mesh in render
Coping tops need a drip in design
Seal render when cured

your welcome

As Dollar, membrane and I would suggest stopping 150mm above ground, well designed copings with a dpc under them but even then you have no dpc installed but you could install a chemical one.

Garden walls are very problematic and unless you have it writing that nothing can be guaranteed avoid.

I would recommend using EWI pro over K-rend for this, their mosaic render might be the one. That with the weep holes, membrane behind and gravel should see you through. Would try to install a chemical damp course and separate above and below with a bead. Does my nut in when they’re built without one.