K rend in the rain

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart23

Private Member
Got scaffolding up at a large garage that's to get k rend'd for the past two weeks now. Customer wants it done asap but can't get two dry days together to get it done. Is it ok to scrape back next day with light rain or am I running risk of water marks? Garage is fairly sheltered.

Tomorrow and Tuesday ain't to bad weather wise stu ,
I'm doing some cast patching, .:RpS_thumbup:

Rain forcast for here tomorrow fats, dry Tuesday so was going to start it Tuesday scrape back Wednesday but rain forecast for then.

I was doing k rend job last year it was on ewi>customer paying for materials!he told me to get it done I argued that it was going to rain he was adamant to get it done!i done it to prove a very costly point!when your scraping back in the rain it just clogs up and draws the water through causing material to turn white! if your gonna attempt it make sure to draw up some contract that he will pay again if things go tits up!
good luck!

Is there any way you can cover the scaff with tarps stu ? Might give you some shelter ?.:RpS_unsure:

Will have a look tomorrow see if I can get it covered.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

It is not just covering it up against rain hitting it. The CO2 rises in the air when it is wet causing lime bloom. I have had lime bloom on tyro lean in August. Did a yellow tyro lean job on a perfect day and covered it up as heavy rain was expected overnight. took down the sheets next day and it was white. Took some doing getting paid on that job. It took a letter from the Cement and concrete association to convince the bitch it was the weather and not me to blame. Now it is in my quotes that I do not take responsibility for lime bloom, if the customer wants it doing when rain is forecast like one I did last November then they have been warned.

Got scaffolding up at a large garage that's to get k rend'd for the past two weeks now. Customer wants it done asap but can't get two dry days together to get it done. Is it ok to scrape back next day with light rain or am I running risk of water marks? Garage is fairly sheltered.
Try and keep it dry before you do it is more important , just nail some old sheeting up to keep it dry . then wait for a good day :RpS_thumbup:

If u have got to do it cos of peer pressure just cover it during and after an do best job possible, in my eyes u done everything possible to do the best job, who in there right mind wants there exteriors plastered between late oct to early march with our unpredictable great british weather

I think youve got a bit of a thing for lime bloom Rigs.

Well the tyro lean job done in 2002 caused me grief with that woman. You do it on a nice August day cover it up knowing it is going to rain 10 hrs on and make sure it is kept dry. Next day take off the sheeting and white not yellow!

At the time Weber could only say it is because of an atmospheric change that caused it but in the eyes of a customer that is bull **** even though it is the truth. Even her stone mason neighbour confirmed but she would not have any of it. Weber then sent me a photo copy of a letter from the cement and concrete association about what lime bloom is, what causes it and how it can be treated. The author of the letter had letters after his name. When I went up on my final attempt to get paid (it was either this time or it got hacked off) she had a cheque waiting. I received the cheque and asked what had convinced her. She said the letter explained it clearly and that was that. I said that there was nothing in his letter that I had not already explained and I will always remember her face with her blood shot eyes and sarcastic smile, she said 'yes but he has letters after his name you don't. He is believable, you are not!'.

So you see it doesn't sometimes matter if the fault is not yours if the customer thinks you are bullshitting then you are snookered.

I did one last November after the several days of putting it off due to the rain and the customer insisted I did it Friday to finish Saturday morning. I reminded there was going to be a big storm coming Saturday Afternoon but no, she was told on good authority that it was only going as far as the midlands. She was having non of it and demanded I got on with it. I did remind her if she had got it wrong and the wall suffered from lime bloom it is down to her not me and she accepted that.

Got it on Friday, finished Saturday 11am and fortunately got paid 11.30am. 3pm that afternoon it poured down heavy for 16hrs. Monday got a phone call asking me to come and have a look as it has gone all shades of mushroom. Went back and she did try and demand I paint it but I stood firm and won my case. Got some good photo's when I had finished it as well in case she tried to say it was finished like that.

So yes, with coloured cement renders I am paranoid about if it rains because of the grief it causes.

If u have got to do it cos of peer pressure just cover it during and after an do best job possible, in my eyes u done everything possible to do the best job, who in there right mind wants there exteriors plastered between late oct to early march with our unpredictable great british weather
most of them,, they think we will be short of work and do it cheaper

And in the summer they wanna spend time in their gardens and don't want nasty scaffolding in the way

most of them,, they think we will be short of work and do it cheaper

Nah, they just don't think at all.
I reckon I get about 30% of my external work enquiries from around this time 'til Xmas.
"Oh look it's raining, time to get them walls sorted"
The odd one will be thinking ahead to a Springtime project but not many, gotta love the Great British Public :RpS_thumbup:

I get a quite a few enquiries over winter and most give the impression that they will have it done in winter then after quoting you hear nothing. Come Spring you have the usual demand for quotes at the end of March into early April and on top of that you get the winter acceptances. So by April you are booked up to early summer.

With pricing in winter you tend to be lean on the price because you need the work but when you get the winter prices accepted in spring and summer then you are working in good weather when demand is up at low season prices. Not doing that this winter, the economy is starting to move and houses are selling. When demand goes up so do the prices. So for this winter it is going to be summer prices, no doubt other's in the area who are desperate to work at cost but I am going to hybernate a bit this winter, maybe if there is not to much snow then rent a taxi for Jan and Feb.

Don't know which is worse taking bobar off taxi punters or working in the cold?

I wont even bother to look from now till probably march/april, i think they think oh **** the rain is gonna cause me damp problems and they are not arsed in the summer.

I get a quite a few enquiries over winter and most give the impression that they will have it done in winter then after quoting you hear nothing. Come Spring you have the usual demand for quotes at the end of March into early April and on top of that you get the winter acceptances. So by April you are booked up to early summer.

With pricing in winter you tend to be lean on the price because you need the work but when you get the winter prices accepted in spring and summer then you are working in good weather when demand is up at low season prices. Not doing that this winter, the economy is starting to move and houses are selling. When demand goes up so do the prices. So for this winter it is going to be summer prices, no doubt other's in the area who are desperate to work at cost but I am going to hybernate a bit this winter, maybe if there is not to much snow then rent a taxi for Jan and Feb.

Don't know which is worse taking bobar off taxi punters or working in the cold?

Plus on top of that if you price now and they wait until the new year to have the work done the materials will have gone up silly amounts.

Funny how far behind the times we are , if the scaffold was covered , we would not even being having this chat , you would think it could just be the done thing from November to .......... November :RpS_wink: :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
I asked for a price difference for a fully covered in scaffold. Not as easy as it sounds. For the scaffold company there are risks such as winds blowing the scaffold over. Easier when the whole building is covered rather than 3 sides of a semi with open ends.

Just been watching the telly and the news man has been saying we are heading for colder and longer winters. If we had any sense we would be building our winter lay offs into our prices.

the problem with rendering is, its essentially a 9 month a year occupation, so that's exactly what we do, work harder or smarter during that time to cover winter.

the problem with rendering is, its essentially a 9 month a year occupation, so that's exactly what we do, work harder or smarter during that time to cover winter.

You are so right! But those I have are entitled to benefits in winter s the motivation to work harder and smarter is not there. Come Christmas it is sign on, get the rent and council tax paid and a giro to feed themselves with. Mr Independent here meanwhile lives on stew and porridge.

Had a big ding dong today about it. But money just does not motivate my lads. Lazy spazzers! I am going on the taxi's this winter F 'em! Worth £1k a month!

It's a problem every year that I have, as my lads are on the books. Luckerlly I had a good year weather wise to carry us through.

It's a problem every year that I have, as my lads are on the books. Luckerlly I had a good year weather wise to carry us through.
We had a great summer ,lets just hope we have a good winter , not like last year :RpS_crying:

Agree to that, It was poor, to be still getting snow in April. Mind you your in the Deep South, so it never gets really cold. :RpS_biggrin:

Agree to that, It was poor, to be still getting snow in April. Mind you your in the Deep South, so it never gets really cold. :RpS_biggrin:
Shorts and shades us mate :RpS_thumbup: i wish , still don,t know how you guys deal with the weather you get , i will stop moaning now:RpS_blushing:

Do you keep your lads on the payroll in winter Owls?

I give mine the boot! Take them back on end of February (usually).

We have a lot of rain here in the Seattle Area also. There are a lot of companies here that weather proof scaffolds year round, but it's mostly on commercial buildings.

Do you keep your lads on the payroll in winter Owls?

I give mine the boot! Take them back on end of February (usually).

yes and no,
we usually work until Christmas [mid December], then they have 2 weeks off paid as holiday leave. last year I was renovating a house I bought so jan feb wasn't an issue, as we were on that. year before I laid them off all of jan, then back in feb prepping a couple of jobs, putting scaffold up and hacking off on a couple of domestics. this time may be different as im due on 2 new builds in feb so no prepping needed, and with 4 lads on books, yard, 2 vans etc you need to be turning over good money just to stand still.

Then there's always if you don't keep them going they leave and join you're competition .....

Then there's always if you don't keep them going they leave and join you're competition .....

thats true aswell ,

but id like to think theres still a bit of loyalty about. I dont get this treating staff like shite business, be it lads on tools or labourers. if your right with them, there likely to be good with you. a happy workforce is a productive workforce.

Rubbed some k-rend up this week in rain never again, not worth the risk ,got away with it just but was lucky ,never going try that again,

Status
Not open for further replies.