K rend help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lads hope your all well and working hard.
Finally had my first go of k rend on my garage last week, scratched with base coat and mesh derbeyd and topped with k rend and derbeyd that too. gave it a day then scratched back overall it looks well...90% however there are a few smooth lines and patches that won't scratch up to the same as the rest. These stand out quite a bit and are pissing me off as I put so much effort Ito getting It spot on
I've put a rule up over these lines and there doesn't seem to be any hollows

Any idea what's caused these where I've went wrong
Would I be able to Krend over Krend?

Any help would be much appreciated cheers fellas

If you left it a day before scratching in this warm weather that's where your problem is, some of the more impatient scratch within a couple of hours! You need to be used to the material for that though as its advisable to leave it a bit longer.

With these types of renders, its advisable to ensure the base coat or substrate is as flat as possible so the depth of the top coat is reasonably consistent for even drying and its best to let them not go off too much before scratching as well. If any windows or openings can handle the additional depth of rendering over the top, just rebead it, roll R7 acrylic over and re-render.

Cheers for your reply mate yeh a mate of mine done his bay on his house and pretty much scratched his straight away and under certain light you can see these same smoothe lines like bald patches if you like
You think these are hollows?
Would sbr with grit in do the trick?

Cheers for your reply mate yeh a mate of mine done his bay on his house and pretty much scratched his straight away and under certain light you can see these same smoothe lines like bald patches if you like

R7 is the official K Rend Acrylic so its always advisable to go that route, its you have bits that won't scratch that just means the render has gone past the point of no return when drying.

Eurocell will do cills, you said that you left the K Rend a day before scratching which is far too long in this weather, you'd start to struggle after 10 hours or so. One K Rend has dried only just to the point that you can't press your thumb into it then you want to be scratching then as a guide. If the render is sticking to the scratcher when scratching its too wet, although some do it at this point, if you are finding that you have to press on hard to get a scratch than its dried too much.

if you have never done it before , "the leave to the pros police will be on your back " , your a very naughty boy , go sit in the corner .

It sound like drying lines to me. Are they at the points where your lift lines were if so you will get drying lines where soft render goes onto the joint of the lift above or below.

its on his own garage :RpS_thumbsup: someone call off the police , you can come out the corner now liverpool spread

Yes mate that's exactly where it is, it's as ive done a section stopped to get more gear then started again the egde of the first section is where it looks shi&£ and won't rub up
How do I prevent this It only took me 40 mins max to get on

Haha yes church I've phoned a couple of local plasterers and put a post on here asking if I can jump on anyone's k rend jobs with no wages for a bit of experience didn't get any luck so my garage has paid the price!
Thanks for your reply too church you've helped me out before! You know your stuff

Thanks for your help mate it's pis£ed me off so gonna give it another go. I read up on the scratching but my fuc:£ing window cleaner came past said he laybours on plasterers and said wait until tomorrow so I was up at 7 am it took me 2 house to scratch about 4metres it was solid my hand was buzzing for about an hour after

If you can post some pictures ,it might be easy to point you in the right direction mate ,with respect you had a go on your own place ,sure loads of the guys can help out

If you are going to go over the top make sure you don't do it direct sun as this could be the cause as it has been very warm the last few week.If your doing it in your own time do it when the sun isn't on it.

It sound like drying lines to me. Are they at the points where your lift lines were if so you will get drying lines where soft render goes onto the joint of the lift above or below.

Yep sounds like the old dry edging.
That or scrape through to the first coat halo/edging call it what you will.

You don't want breaks in the application as in the labourer needs to be knocking up in the drum without stopping. And you need to be moving without any breaks in the application.
Just need to move much faster that's all

Scrape through that sounds like. Its the edges of the first coat showing up. When this happens it never scrapes to a texture always looks smooth and flat and gets worse the more you rub.

You need to make sure the top coat is thick enough not the scrape through lay it on minimum 10mm over your first pass

I will try and get some pics up some how
I'm certain the dry edges have caused this thanks for your help fellas
I was mixing bucket at a time by myself setting it up on the board and throwing on
I should have mixed 3 or 4 up and got it all on together..
Live and learn

I will try and get some pics up some how
I'm certain the dry edges have caused this thanks for your help fellas
I was mixing bucket at a time by myself setting it up on the board and throwing on
I should have mixed 3 or 4 up and got it all on together..
Live and learn

Probably edges dried out then where you put your next gauge on next to it.
Depends on size of course but usually 1lad mixing 2chucking on
Stopping g to mix between laying on is asking for trouble. Especially k rend it takes forever to mix up.

Don't worry about it
You can get a paint of Rendit the same colour or just practice the next system and texture over it with tc15

Give a firm called rendit a call.the do a paint that can be rolled over the surface with has the same textured finish as k-rend and colour

Thanks for your reply lads sbrd and went again bit awkward trying to get up to the 10mm beads in one coat but rubbed up well and looks perfect now

Nice one.

Getting that thickness is the key to eradicating halo rings. And speed is the key to dry edging lines.

Keep your eye on temps overnight in winter is fine but very rare this time of year.

Gonna do any more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.