K rend , blockwork showing solution

Members online

Olican

Private Member
Had an email from someone with two properties that where rendered in 2009 with k-rend. They are looking for solutions to rectify, any thoughts please chaps.
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1455718700.843771.jpg
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1455718715.390577.jpg

Paint it mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I wonder if you can please advise on K-render issues; I have two sites in Dawlish that have recently started showing the block work behind the render, I have been made aware that it would be advisable not to paint, is there another option? "

They've been advised not to, not sure who by. Would seem to be the most cost effective solution . I suggested they get in touch with k-rend

Phone rend-it they sell paint for all products and keeps any guarantees intact.
They also sample any colour.
I've just used some of there stuff and it looks spot on and looks like fresh render not a painted finish over mono. [emoji106]

Sod painting it with Weber ! Lol , any good weather shield paint will do , fraction of the price

could you not put a 1.5 silicone top coat over it oli? may as well make some money from the enquirey?

If is darker colour -maybe, but don't think 2-3mm can fix it. The render must be very thin- basecoat most likely.

just paint the rest of the blocks on the whole property............tell them block effect is the new brick effect....................it's this seasons must have...........................(y)

just paint the rest of the blocks on the whole property............tell them block effect is the new brick effect....................it's this seasons must have...........................(y)
Sound advice again there John , your top of the game mate , respect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never seen ghosting with k rend, I bet it's on like a bees wing, or else there is water pissing in the soffit above and the block is soaking.

Best advice so far, your mugs in the post. Cheers John [emoji6]

Sod painting it with Weber ! Lol , any good weather shield paint will do , fraction of the price

Weathershield is categorically not specced to go on monocouche renders. The reps advise against it. Already looked into it with a jobsworth site manager when I offered it on a job where he'd left drainpipes off.

Sandtex offer a spec but it's 3-4 coats with a day in between. Sod that.

The Rendit stuff Jgreen mentioned goes on in one on K Rend and looks bob on, can't tell it's on. Not applied it though, I gave it to a painter to do. Still had sparkly bits even. Impressed me that, small things and all that.

to thin... and also plasterers should have known to put Lanko latex (parex) or K-rend alternative in if any chance of ghosting at all... put an acrylic over the top

i agree with Big k and mag,moisture has to be getting in somewhere and lodges in the mortor joints because the walls cant breath ,also it is too thin and thats why all garden walls with one coat of sand and cement always shows the blockwork.

i agree with Big k and mag,moisture has to be getting in somewhere and lodges in the mortor joints because the walls cant breath ,also it is too thin and thats why all garden walls with one coat of sand and cement always shows the blockwork.
You keeping busy John.

Not to thin I did a job with 15 MM and had the same problem there must be damp or water getting in somewhere
agree its not always the thickness of render where the issue is,
on 120mm standard concrete blocks 7.5n if the mortar lines are wet through and you render over it., its going to take a long time for the moisture to release, a lot longer than the block work as the render dries over time, it dries quicker than the soaked mortar lines, so when the render dries you can end up with shading where the joints are.i always make sure on sites that temporary gutters are put up over new block work.

Not too sure about k rend but I remember a s/c job my dad did in Ireland nearly 40 yrs ago. If you scratch and rub up the same day, you'll see the mortar joints a different colour. Before anyone says that's a no no, I was labouring on them and being its a neighbours house I can guarantee there is not a crack to this day

Does anyone know if this effect necessarily indicates a moisture issue? I have a similar problem and I'm trying to work out if water will have got into the walls to an extent enough to start mould problems... any help much appreciated

Last edited: