Just taken some wallpaper off the wall, what is wrong with the surface underneath?

Tapp

Not looking to plaster, just encountered this problem and don't know what I'm looking at or what to do. The intention is to paint the walls.

1980's or so build. In the photos is the worst degree where a steamer was used to remove the wallpaper. Some areas of the house have very minor flaking or patchy surface from previous flaking, some of which has already been painted over.

IMG_20200510_182211.jpg

IMG_20200512_105257.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks both.

Scrape loose off get it skimmed! Stop messing around me old fruit cake (y)

Has there been any harm done by the partial or fully-peeled plaster that has already been painted? What is peeling exactly, just a layer of plaster?

Ah the wallpaper steamer absolutely the worst thing to use on solid plaster and skimmed plasterboard.

Same thing happened to a lesser degree without the steamer. But yes, lessons were learned.

Ball ache, I hate doing it. tend to scarf up the wall getting it off anyway. Just use lining paper and paint that.

Ah the wallpaper steamer absolutely the worst thing to use on solid plaster and skimmed plasterboard.
re skimmed a staircase landing ect 12 month ago/ just before lookdown the guy starts to get a small bedroom ready puts a steam stripper on shuts the door when he goes back to it cant open door forces his way in then later cant shut it bangs it shut / I go back to see if rooms ready for me and he complains my plasterwork above the door has cracked in the corners the stud frames in the house are only inch and half timers ffs some folk arnt real

Ball ache, I hate doing it. tend to scarf up the wall getting it off anyway. Just use lining paper and paint that.

Scarfed is how it went, though the room I've already done having sanded and filled with matt paint it doesn't look terrible so it's going to have to do. I'll look ito lining paper for the rest, it's the entire house so too expensive or time-consuming to do much else.

I could not be kicking myself more for not checking my assumptions before starting. Wallpaper paste, of all things.