Just skimmed my first artexed ceiling, help/advise needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

higgster

Hi,

I am a fairly confident DIYer, I have just finished a self build extension to my house, new garage, etc.
I have always had a plasterer in due to me thinking I could never acheive the desired finish.
I now have a baby on the way and no money left to pay the pro's so the time has come for me to give it a go!
I have just skimmed what will be the nursery ceiling.
I thought it had gone reasonably well untill now it has dried it is far from perfect, lots of blemishes although it is reasonably flat.
I think that prehaps the plaster was drying to quick not allowing me to acheive a good finish? the room is approx 5mx4m2, I did Pva it twice before starting. no heating on in room and windows open. It just seemed to take me along time, especially around the edges. does the trowel need to be worn in to get a great finish?
I would appreciate any help and advice as I have always admired the work of plastering, just now think its time for me to learn this. I know prehaps I should have practised on some walls but with the baby due in 5 weeks I didnt really have time to!
Please be gentle as this category is 'DIY plastering tips'!!
Thanks in advance

Fair play mate just get a sander on it and get a bag of easy fill and smooth out any rough areas, you can fill it after you mist coat, it might be easier to spot the marks easier that way.

Bod, thanks for that, I think it is recoverable and I set my standards way to high!!

Is there any pointers for when I start my next bit of plastering, still got 3 bedrooms to skim, a big hallway & landing, 2 bathroooms inc ceilings & a utility room and garage!!! The plan was to start and practise on the garage but now baby is nearly here I couldn't!

You should be taking it easy with only 5 weeks to go, get your bloke to do it the lazy sod...............

If its a really bad finish just artex it.......:RpS_thumbsup: get that stuff you can roll on

Hi Higgster, Fair play for giving it a go, 5mx4m ceiling on first attempt bit ambitious.start with small areas and build up to larger ones. as already said above give it a sand an fill any blemishes, next time close the windows, the wind probably sent your ceiling off quicker with them open. And yes a worn in trowel with good edge helps but takes time to wear a trowel in properly.

have ya got any a that Woodchip left Higster ,,no no but being seriously i ment Anaglypta ,, noble attempt brother ,, practice makes perfect :RpS_thumbup:

Higgster: Could you not get a spread in for a few days tell him ya situation and labour for him, you might be able to pick it up a little easier and feel a bit more confident? its a big ask for the amount you got to do.
Keep clean and wash out between gauges dirty water and tools will send ya gear off quick, This game is very unforgiving so smaller areas to start cos your on the clock,:RpS_cursing: and that new trowel is going to drag so it may look worst than it is?... Paint one of your plastered areas your no then.
Have you heard of tapered edge boards and jointing? That also involves some sanding.

as replied earlier mate,20sqm ceiling isnt the easiest too start on.but if you can handle that mate just take it a wall at a time and you will be fine im sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.