just saying hello

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

justone

hi all just found this forum think its gr8. i been plastering for about 2yrs did a 1 week course then did a few jobs in my own house ceilings mainly then started out helping friends and family now i seem to be busy every weekend because i still work full time during the week (mechanical engineer) i would like 2 give it a go full time but i still dont feel confident and experienced enough to take the plunge :-/ what do you guys think any advice? oh and why im here what do u find is the best way to fix corner beads to old plaster i use galvanised tacks at the min but find that this can cause the corners to break any advice would be gratefull cheers all justin

Hi Justin
Sounds very similar to route i took and now running own business. One thing really would advise no matter how much work your getting now is invest in city and guilds qualification and look at getting cscs card before you make the break. This is biggest mistake i made and really regret it, as when your private work goes quiet any site / sub contract work is nearly always only interested if you have these.

cheers rocky
i have looked at city and guilds but not in too much depth where bouts u do yours how long it take and how much did it cost
cheers justin

Not done this yet unfortunately! But have been looking around lately as really want this qualification not only for what its worth in my longterm plan but for piece of mind because really want to know as much as possible as when customers paying good price last thing they want is someone havin a crack at something for the first time and being a guinea pig ::) Although when i have done this i have been quite fortunate ;D
Where abouts are you? If your down south seen quite few decent courses but goldtrowel sounds to be the one to do!

i am down south ;D in kent so ill have a look at that thanks mate. any answer to my angle bead question? cheers

If you apply several dabs of finish along edge of reveal or wall and bed skim bead into this. Can also use dri wall adhesive or bonding, however i make sure to pva these before i skim for obvious reasons;)

Status
Not open for further replies.