Judged by age

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasjack

Alright lads

I think I might be the youngest on here and want your view on things

To start I'm a plasterer of course! Started learning when I was 14 as I got booted outa school [emoji52][emoji52] at 16 I had my 1st child with my crazy missus [emoji38] I'm now 20 got 2 brilliant kids and run my own company... But when I go round and price jobs I get judged because of my age!

Without beating my own drum I'm s**t hot! Haha and I'm real busy

Anyone else get the s**t I do??

Thanks

Its less to do with age and more to do with confidence and the ability to convince people you at least have a vague idea about what your talking about.

I'm confident alright! But a lot of people say they picked plasterer number 2 because he was older [emoji57][emoji57]

Dont suffer from this im party n weather beaten, if yer doing well the rest will come. Fine line between confident n cocky be yerself n honest you"ll muddle through just fine (y)

Yeah @plasjack I turn up and people always look behind me as if someone else should be there and then after I do the job or after talking they say I didn't think you looked old enough to be the plasterer, thought u was the apprentice [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I'm 30 so take it as a compliment

I started young and had that problem the odd time , obviously only so much experience etc . Just try explain everything well to them , point out bits that other people may not have etc . Then they think .... Was that other person that quoted going to go to so much detail etc . Just keep doing good work and u will be fine !

I was the same mate. My dad would send me to price small jobs when I was about 19/20, as CTplastering said, I always tried to explain exactly what I was going to do, so the customer knew I knew what I was talking about. I never used to like telling them the price, always felt a bit awkward, but after I got a few jobs I gained confidence. Now I think im quite good a speaking to people in a friendly manner, I think how you approach a customer is just as important as the price to alot of people.

I'm nearly 41 but only look 18...always cause's me problems ...get asked for I.d when I get me fags...always get young chicks asking me out on dates...i know what u r saying

I've always looked 20 years older than I am, starting catch up with my age now though.....if that makes sense [emoji15]

they will see your about 20, assume you left school at 16/17 so base your experience at 3/4 years max, then as your on your own, might think self taught.

So..to them your
self taught
3/4 years into the trade.

thats not the sort of person you'd get in is it?

So you have to let them know your background, 6 years experience, look professional, confidence, talk about the job showing them you know what your on about etc etc.

the irony is mate that all though you think your s**t hot your probabley not pal....in another 5/10 yrs you will look back and realise that you wasn't that good...

sorry to burst your bubble and all that pal

the irony is mate that all though you think your s**t hot your probabley not pal....in another 5/10 yrs you will look back and realise that you wasn't that good...

sorry to burst your bubble and all that pal

No PAL. I'm s**t hot.

It's been said by many people In the trade.... My eyes work perfectly well.

no probs....yawnnnn your a world beater mate...

the point that I was trying to make is that over the yrs you improve subconsciously and genraly look back and reflect over the yrs that you improve...

after 5yrs I thought I was decent when I reflect on my skillset then at 10yrs I realised I was not as good as at 10yrs...and so on at 15yrs etc...

also generaly people who blow smoke up there own arse don't tend to be as good as they think they are...

and as someone else mentioned theres a fine line between being confident and coming across cocky....and after your last post im afraid your probabley coming across as the later!!!

and take it from a 40yr old I wouldn't be wanting some jumped up young gobshite in my house and would be preferring the more humbled experienced spread that had quoted that hadn't irritated me...

harsh but true pal

my brother and i went self employed at about 20, when we had completed our apprenticeships.
we must have spent the next 10 years subbing work off a large plastering firm on piece work, as in those days we were paid in cash every week.
then the government brought out the 714s it was ok as it was easy to get the vouchers, then it went to 30% stoppage and cheque payments, we stopped site work and built up a domestic business.
it take time to start any business it will be slow at first but at 20 years of age the customers you will attract are those who want a cheap job.

no probs....yawnnnn your a world beater mate...

the point that I was trying to make is that over the yrs you improve subconsciously and genraly look back and reflect over the yrs that you improve...

after 5yrs I thought I was decent when I reflect on my skillset then at 10yrs I realised I was not as good as at 10yrs...and so on at 15yrs etc...

also generaly people who blow smoke up there own arse don't tend to be as good as they think they are...

and as someone else mentioned theres a fine line between being confident and coming across cocky....and after your last post im afraid your probabley coming across as the later!!!

and take it from a 40yr old I wouldn't be wanting some jumped up young gobshite in my house and would be preferring the more humbled experienced spread that had quoted that hadn't irritated me...

harsh but true pal

Ok... I'm not a jumped up gob shite

If you had put your 2nd comment as your 1st comment I wouldn't have reacted the way I did.

my brother and i went self employed at about 20, when we had completed our apprenticeships.
we must have spent the next 10 years subbing work off a large plastering firm on piece work, as in those days we were paid in cash every week.
then the government brought out the 714s it was ok as it was easy to get the vouchers, then it went to 30% stoppage and cheque payments, we stopped site work and built up a domestic business.
it take time to start any business it will be slow at first but at 20 years of age the customers you will attract are those who want a cheap job.

I am busy... And all jobs bring in pretty good money... I was thinking about getting onto site work..

L
Yes I can float

I think I like you ,you sound like me when I was in my 20s ,I'm now 50,I think I'm a natural plasterer ( wish I was a natural footballer but there you go ) you know what Uve seen on other jobs to compare and you know what feed back your getting ,but remember and I learned the hard way no one is indispensable no matter how good you are

No PAL. I'm s**t hot.

It's been said by many people In the trade.... My eyes work perfectly well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you posted a pic the other day of a chimney breast you had made good and skimmed. The first thing I thought when I saw the pic was what a mess the skirt line was and how high it was, anything other than an inch off the ground in a nice straight line is not s**t hot to me. Many can skim a flat area of wall to a high standard but what makes someone s**t hot is attention to detail. As has been said if you went back to your jobs 5 years from now you would probably think different.

Ok... I'm not a jumped up gob shite

If you had put your 2nd comment as your 1st comment I wouldn't have reacted the way I did.

Read through your previous posts and have a think how they come across. I that comes across when you're with customers you might have found a reason for them not feeling good using a youngster.

If you'd served a full apprenticeship you'd be a year out of your time. i.e. an 'improver'. The idea of an improver claiming they're "sh1t hot" is just funny. I've no idea how good or bad you are, and like some of the people you're quoting for, I'm unlikely to find out.

No skin of mine either way, but I would suggest attitude adjustment would be an important step forward.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you posted a pic the other day of a chimney breast you had made good and skimmed. The first thing I thought when I saw the pic was what a mess the skirt line was and how high it was, anything other than an inch off the ground in a nice straight line is not s**t hot to me. Many can skim a flat area of wall to a high standard but what makes someone s**t hot is attention to detail. As has been said if you went back to your jobs 5 years from now you would probably think different.

My chippy installed 6inch skirting the same day before customer arrived home.

Oh and a lot of the people on this site think there better than everyone else.... When actually they are just sitting behind a key board... My work is s**t hot..., booked up until January I posted just for abit of advice and certain people came across rude

Oh and a lot of the people on this site think there better than everyone else.... When actually they are just sitting behind a key board... My work is s**t hot..., booked up until January I posted just for abit of advice and certain people came across rude
Carry on the good work mate
Cheers PetePete

Bottom line is, if you're good you'll get recommended and people will get you do the work regardless of your age or appearance. I've been pierced and tattooed for 30 years (way before it was trendy) Potential customers would say "so and so said you looked dodgy but you did a good job."

Status
Not open for further replies.