joint cement

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasterjfe

Private Member
hi dry wallers

doin a tape n joint job at the mo and i have joint fillered it all today. its a 3 coat system by the way per the bg spec of 1 joint filler coat followed by 2 joint cement coats.

tomorrow i want to joint cement it out but wonder if the first coat will dry in time for me to get the 2 coats done without risk of shrinkage. its only about 150m sq so can imagine once a coat goes on we will be twiddling thumbs.

also this time of year how long will it be before its dry enough to sand off and paint.

sorry lads but never done such a small job with jointing before and dont normally paint either, usually each coat we do on 3 different days as the areas are big

Do your first joint cement in morning, go get something to eat then put your second on. Thats what i'd do/have done.

As gorto says i'd be waiting a few days to get it sanded or it'll just chew up.

hmn yes i thought so.

its the same old story.

we just started today and were getting the old - will it be painted on thursday or friday at the latest because we gotta deliver it to site on monday blah blah (its a mobile units)

usually 2 coats filler then one coat ready mixed joint cement.. joint filler dries quick, so you should get it all coated same day, will start ripping if it aint dry tho....

Easi fill first coat ive got the pump boxes etc never really took of the way I wanted! Never mind scrape me of that ceiling from yesterday life is great !

As Cassie has said, most hand jointers do it this way now for speed as long as you lightly sand each coat before next application

i see fellers but spec is 1 joint filler (already done today) 2 coats joint cement, materials on site.

no probs with the joint filler its a setting product, the cement is air drying see but gonna see what happens after first coat tomoz

Im busy pal am in allerton the posh part ive got the pump boxes etc but I was only picking the odd jointing job up here andthere so you could say am the DAVID MOYES of jointing !the boxes are quick as sterling down the wing!

i see fellers but spec is 1 joint filler (already done today) 2 coats joint cement, materials on site.

no probs with the joint filler its a setting product, the cement is air drying see but gonna see what happens after first coat tomoz
most specs are 1 filler ,2 joint cement, most skimming specs are two coat, etc etc how will they know once its painted as i said most hand jointers now use 2 filler 1 joint cement, its faster and finished jobs just as good

Im busy pal am in allerton the posh part ive got the pump boxes etc but I was only picking the odd jointing job up here andthere so you could say am the DAVID MOYES of jointing !the boxes are quick as sterling down the wing!

its not for this its for something that might come off later next month same sort of job like.

hmn yes i thought so.

its the same old story.

we just started today and were getting the old - will it be painted on thursday or friday at the latest because we gotta deliver it to site on monday blah blah (its a mobile units)

when the site agent told you about the time they needed the work finished by, that was when you should have told him that it is twice as fast to skim then sod about jointing !

most specs are 1 filler ,2 joint cement, most skimming specs are two coat, etc etc how will they know once its painted as i said most hand jointers now use 2 filler 1 joint cement, its faster and finished jobs just as good

i see. its a while since i last taped mind you. that second filler must be bang tidy then you wont want that poking through on the sanding like.

back rendering next week where i belong.

tell you what tho hand taping improves your general trowelling as in you need to be much neater and cleaner with the blade

when the site agent told you about the time they needed the work finished by, that was when you should have told him that it is twice as fast to skim then sod about jointing !

i told him on a small area there will be down time and that a skim would do but they get lifted b a crane and he is worried about plaster cracking also he recons tape is quicker but i told him only if there is 1000s of metres to go at

i see. its a while since i last taped mind you. that second filler must be bang tidy then you wont want that poking through on the sanding like.
Sand each coat lightly before next coat should solve that issue

tell you what tho hand taping improves your general trowelling as in you need to be much neater and cleaner with the blade
agree with you on that one lol different trowel action totally trying not to sweep trowel in and arc when going from bottom to top lol

i subbied 8 flats out couple of year ago, i'd already done 8 but was getting busier and the taping rate was pish. Anyway nipped in after a few days and saw that they were just puting a really heavy first coat of filler on then 1 joint cement, looked terrible.

the 1st coat of joint filler bulks the taper out, 2nd coat joint filler feathers 4'' either side of the taper, then final joint cement goea about another 6'' out from that, never heard of 1 joint filler then 2 cement, but if thats the spec... the joint cement really shrinks back, hence 2 coats of the powder, I dont sand between coats, just the finish after its dried... should also be painted with vapour check after...

I know good tapers mate from liverpool ways . I used to tape with them but don't do it anymore . To much messing bout. I'll put u on to them if u need anyone

Got both the second and third coats done today anyway so its fine. Had the heating on in the warehouse so prob sand tomorrow.

House bashers will do one coat filler and one coat cement. Proper way is as you as doing it. No need to sand between coats if you put it on tight enough.

House bashers will do one coat filler and one coat cement. Proper way is as you as doing it. No need to sand between coats if you put it on tight enough.

was the way I was taught Tony and we dont sand between coats, we check the filler over and chop high spots off with the 6" knife if need be

Status
Not open for further replies.